It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Let's say you want to have a baby. Are you a complete idiot?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 07:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by XxNightAngelusxX
Seriously. Are you an idiot for having as child in today's world?

No .. it's evolutionary psychology to desire to have children. It's normal. Every time period has had it's massive problems and reasons not to have children. But the thing is, maybe it will be your child who makes the positive difference in lives of others.

BTW - we adopted. I highly recommend it for those who wish to have children but who don't want to (or can't) bring another life into the world. Adoption. Our agency was a non-profit agency. Anyone interested in the agency, etc, can U2U me ..

CX

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 07:22 AM
link   
reply to post by XxNightAngelusxX

One day with my kids outweighs everything in your first post.

Hard to explain until you have them.

CX.

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 07:29 AM
link   
Without sounding too business like it is a risk-reward issue. You are to be congratulated for considering the risks. Will it be healthy, what kind of world will it grow up in, will you be able to provide for it to your satisfaction and I don't mean all the usual Madison ave must have crap.

Hope for the best but prepare for the worst including the possibility of a big disappointment and regret. Ask God to assist you in your decision.

My son decided against a family AFTER he married over 20 years ago. It cost him his marriage but he has no regrets.

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 07:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Human0815

Without Kids you miss something,
they are the greatest Miracle and the biggest Presents,
they are the Reason to marching on and on

...and that is the reason we go on.

A miracle? In every sense of the word. Whether it's your child, or not. Holding that little bundle against your chest and watching her sleep? Listening to her breathe as she dreams whatever it is little babies dream? That's a gift that can not be quantified, or even explained.

Children are the reason people, quite literally, move mountains. To provide a better world than the one they had. It's why they cross deserts, and oceans to get to a new land.

So to answer your question? Only you can decide whether it's idiocy, or not. The world is crazy, true enough. But there's also much good in it, too. Might want to take that into account while you're pondering this question.

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 08:02 AM
link   

First of all, through my teen years, I always said I'd never have a baby, because that seemed to be the root of all my family's problems--us children.

But now, I feel like I've learned enough from my family's mistakes so I know not to make the same ones,

You say you know not to make the same ones (as in your family's mistakes). This is not the same as knowing what to do instead of those mistakes. See, you LIVED those mistakes. You learned them. Those mistakes are a part of you. It's the only environment you grew up in, so you can't create an environment that you DON'T know, one that you DIDN'T grow up in. In other words, you didn't experience five different childhoods so that you could choose which one is best. You know only one.

Without even trying we will create the same family environment as the one we lived in. You CAN create a new environment, but you must always be on guard against the one imprinted on your mind. And, being on guard means learning new coping skills, skills that your parents didn't have and couldn't pass on to you because their parents didn't have them either, and so on and so on.

Quick example: My father married only once. My mother marred three times. My brother and I married only once. My two sisters married three times. So, without even trying, the children in my family followed the same relationship path as our parents. This is how easy it is for children to be conditioned by their parents.

Good luck, and be ever watchful.

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 08:10 AM
link   
Why would anyone want to bring another human being on to this planet? i absolutely despise every waking minute on this ball of poop.

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 08:21 AM
link   

Raising children is soooo hard. How do you raise a child to be caring, yet not a door mat? To be smart and tough at the same time? To have self-confidence without being self-centered? To be ambitious but not aggressive? So much knowledge is required that I'm surprised there isn't a law stating that you can't have kids without first acquiring a Masters in psychology.

edit on 5/28/2012 by jiggerj because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 08:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by juniorchubbs
Why would anyone want to bring another human being on to this planet? i absolutely despise every waking minute on this ball of poop.

A very sad answer, but an answer none-the-less: Being human and having babies on this poopy planet is the only game in town. Well, other than not having babies and never knowing the love of a child - a love that seeps into every fiber of your being.

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 08:27 AM
link   
I have two girls 1yr & 4yr old and I haver another on the way due in October, I too thought about the problems I may face in the coming years but you know what, its my kids and my family that make me truely happy, I never knew true love until they came along, visiting such sites as this makes me aware of what really goes on in the world but most of it needs to be taken with a pinch of salt, admittedly iv worried about TSHF but now i wake up every day, smile and laugh as much as I can and am especially enjoying the warm sunny days (Yes sunny in Ireland). My point is, you get back what you put in, dont let the MSM or government dictate how you live, they mean nothing to me and they can all go jump off a bridge for all I care, I have my health & family and thats all that matters, if they ever come for any of it, theres not much I can do because they will have had to kill me first..

Choose Life

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 10:21 AM
link   

And so, I am starting to think that, eventually, a baby would be wonderful. In fact, I often have dreams and random thoughts about it, and it almost brings me to tears. I can safely say I want one now.

Then I think...

I consider myself fairly "awake" to the world's real issues, and I would intend to teach my child everything, rather than brainwash him or her. Could you imagine if my child were to bring up conspiracies in school? Especially in the next generation? School systems are already cracking down as it is, no one can do, say, or hear anything anymore without being arrested. Could you imagine how many people would call CPS, or the police even? Then, there's the issue of not being allowed to learn all the facts of history in school, along with the regular indoctrination and brainwash... and they'll be teaching my child contrary to what I would want him or her to learn. Things like... all children need vaccines, to keep you healthy. Doctors are good people, who can always be trusted with your life, because it's their job. The government and president are deserving of respect, never question them. Police are never wrong, because they have a badge. Respect them. Teachers are never wrong, because they're teachers. Respect them. You'll never survive or be a useful human being if you don't graduate and spend half your adult life in college. If you don't do that, like everyone else, you'll be a nobody forever.

Not to mention that certain school systems have a habit of giving ALL children vaccines without their parent's consent, and I could honestly say I would kill someone if they did that to my child, or any of my loved ones, no matter who they are.

Plus, what if TSHTF during my child's lifetime, during school--and the schools get locked down. They would take my child somewhere without telling me, and because they're of government authority, be it legal or not, I would be expected to lay down and let them take off with my child, along with all the others, to a FEMA camp, Re-education camp, lockdown facility, foreign country, whatever.

I have no doubt whatsoever that my child would be loved and never abused by us, my now fiance would make an excellent father. But... as far as the rest of the world goes... it seems like they're making any excuse they can think of to make parents look "unfit" and take their children away, while the different establishments have free reign over the lives of the children. There are a lot of issues I wanted to add, but I wouldn't have nearly enough room on this thread...

Yes, I sound paranoid. I'm just trying to be prepared.

Seriously. Are you an idiot for having as child in today's world?

Or is it worth the risks...?

All of these are valid concerns and I respect you for putting thought into them before
leaping.

My only advice to you would be that if you do decide to have a child, please consider home birth. All of my grand children (4) were born at home with midwives and it is the absolute best opportunity for both parents and even extended family to bond with the baby rather than a birthing him or her in an institutional setting where people you don't even know are in control of both the mother and child.

Also, that puts you in a position of making all the decisions about vaccination right from the start, without outside pressure from medical types.

And yes, homeschooling seems to be the wisest course of action at this particular point in time. Unteaching the fables that are taught as history in the schools is much harder to do than simply starting off with the truth. And there are some excellent support groups already in operation, probably in your own area, who have experience in helping you with both curricula and social activities. All you have to do is look for them.

Best of luck and life to you and your family.

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 07:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by frazzle
My only advice to you would be that if you do decide to have a child, please consider home birth. All of my grand children (4) were born at home with midwives and it is the absolute best opportunity for both parents and even extended family to bond with the baby rather than a birthing him or her in an institutional setting where people you don't even know are in control of both the mother and child.

Whilst home birthing is an option, it should still be done with medical supervision. Had my daughter and youngest son been born at home, chances are I would have lost them and possibly the mother. It is a choice, but you must make an informed one based on your own circumstances. You shouldn't advocate it carte blanche.

Also, that puts you in a position of making all the decisions about vaccination right from the start, without outside pressure from medical types.

Ah, now we get to the crux of the thrust for home birthing, you distrust the medical establishment. Let's just say that without the various vaccinations available, chances are you and I wouldn't even be alive to have kids in the first place, infant mortality would be through the roof. You only have to look at under-developed countries to see how easily bery treatable/preventable diseases sweep through populations, taking the weakest which is often the youngest.

And yes, homeschooling seems to be the wisest course of action at this particular point in time. Unteaching the fables that are taught as history in the schools is much harder to do than simply starting off with the truth. And there are some excellent support groups already in operation, probably in your own area, who have experience in helping you with both curricula and social activities. All you have to do is look for them.

Oh, it's the entire establishment you distrust then. I would say I would advocate home schooling if you live in the US, your (what you call, means something else here) public school system is a joke when compared to other industrialised nations. You don't even have a nationally set curriculum, local authorities can set what is learnt, which in the vast majority of bible-bashing America is often a load of dog crap, such as teaching intelligent design alongside evolution as if it is a valid scientific theory.

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 07:15 AM
link   

Children are always worth the risk even in today's climate; without them the world stands no chance.

Children are NEVER the the reason why there is so much dysfunction in families today; the fault lays squarely upon the parents who went in to marriage without thinking of discussing long term goals, finances and the future aspirations of each spouse or what happens if in the likelihood of divorce. Most people today marry for lust without a clue in the world.

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 09:04 AM
link   
reply to post by GmoS719

I agree, how is now a more difficult time to raise a child than 50 years ago ? To be sure, we are collectively more suspicious and so collectively more aware, but in terms of things in this world that threaten children, and continue to genuinely threaten them as they pass into adult, it is no worse now than ever really. AND , LIFE IS BEAUTIFUL. Can't forget about that now can we......?.....

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by stumason

Whilst home birthing is an option, it should still be done with medical supervision. Had my daughter and youngest son been born at home, chances are I would have lost them and possibly the mother. It is a choice, but you must make an informed one based on your own circumstances. You shouldn't advocate it carte blanche.

There's a world of difference between carte blanche advocacy and a suggestion to conisider available options. Midwives are picky about their patients and if they even suspect a potential problem with a pregnancy or birth they will insist upon medical supervision or even refuse to take the case. Their licenses, as well as their reputations are on the line, much more so than an OB's.

Why do people consider child birth to be a medical emergency requiring hospitalization in every case anyway? And why would anyone choose to bring their child into the world in the most germ ridden environment there is if there are no underlying medical problems?

The US has a higher infant mortality rate than just about any other industrialized country in the world, and that includes even Cuba. And you say I have trust issues. Gee, ya think?

Ah, now we get to the crux of the thrust for home birthing, you distrust the medical establishment. Let's just say that without the various vaccinations available, chances are you and I wouldn't even be alive to have kids in the first place, infant mortality would be through the roof. You only have to look at under-developed countries to see how easily bery treatable/preventable diseases sweep through populations, taking the weakest which is often the youngest.

That's funny. The people I grew up around got their first vaccine when they were in grade school and most of them had already HAD measles and mumps and chicken pox by the time they got stuck. Most of them went on to become parents and grandparents and most of them are still kicking 50 years later.

Incidentally, I was PART of the medical establishment and they scared me into good health.

Oh, it's the entire establishment you distrust then. I would say I would advocate home schooling if you live in the US, your (what you call, means something else here) public school system is a joke when compared to other industrialised nations. You don't even have a nationally set curriculum, local authorities can set what is learnt, which in the vast majority of bible-bashing America is often a load of dog crap, such as teaching intelligent design alongside evolution as if it is a valid scientific theory.

There are national standards, which is just as bad. The main question for me is, if you were the government, would you then teach the students how to control you (rhetorical question). Students are taught WHAT to think, not HOW to think and even when it comes to regurgitating bad information, academic test scores put US students close to the bottom of the barrel internationally.

I just don't know how one could compare the benefits of a classroom with 30 students at different levels of ability to a one on one situation with a parent who may even be only semi intelligent. Its all about the variety of information that's selected to use as teaching tools and I've actually heard homeschool parents say they learned as much if not more from the process than their children ~ stuff THEY didn't learn in public school.

But hey, that's just my opinion.

<< 1   >>

join