It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Amazon Kindle owners...I have a few questions

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 09:46 AM
link   
I'll get right to the chase.

I have been looking for the power requirment specs for the (black and white) Kindles but I have been unsucessful.

I would like to know how much power does it take to charge your Kindle? ie. how many watts is the power adaptor?

How long does it take to charge your Kindle using said charger?

Can you download PDF's to your kindle straight from your laptop?

To give you an idea of what I'm getting at. Im trying to see if I can find a solar charger strong enough to charge a Kindle.

Thanks in advance!

edit on 23-5-2012 by Talltexxxan because: (no reason given)

edit on 23-5-2012 by Talltexxxan because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 09:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Talltexxxan

I don't know if will figure in much or if will be able to actually find what we're looking for, but can you tell us which Kindle model you're dealing with (Touch, Keyboard, DX, etc./3g or Wifi only)?

edit on 5/23/2012 by Praetorius because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Does the kindle charge from USB from a computer? My kobo won't charge correctly from a usb connection, if the kindle does, like most other devices, then you can use the power from a usb connection as a starting point.

Couldn't you just google kindle charger adapter voltages?..

ETA....

Looks like the standard 5 volts, which is what usb provides I think. you'll want to verify the miniamp requirements too though.

Also with lithium ion batteries, you have to ensure you are provided the exact right voltages, if you go over, it might charge the battery faster, at the expense of lifespan.
edit on 23-5-2012 by phishyblankwaters because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 09:54 AM
link   

According to this: wikipedia Kindle it has a
1,750 mAh 3.7 V, lithium polymer battery, BA1001 model. Quite what that means is a mystery to me but the reported battery life of 1 - 2 months per charge would lead me to believe that it is quite a low power device. Amazon might be a better place to ask the question, or a supplier of the charger you are looking at might know. I remember seeing a charger recently, you just laid the device you wanted to charge on this metal plate and via induction (?) the thing would be charged again.

Good luck!
edit on 23/5/12 by LightSpeedDriver because: Correction

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Thanks lightspeed driver thst info really does help.

And for the other posters, I currentlly dont own a kindle but for what I understad you can charge it off of a USB or a wall adapter.

I guess Im off to Amazons support desk to find out more.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by TalltexxxanAnd for the other posters, I currentlly dont own a kindle but for what I understad you can charge it off of a USB or a wall adapter.

Correct - comes with a USB cable that includes an adapter for wall charging.

Just came across this and looks like is right up your alley - appears there is actually a solar-charging Kindle cover already on the market. Supposedly one hours of sunlights gives you 3 days of reading time:
TechCrunch article on SolarKindle cover.

The SolarKindle promises “up to three months of unplugged Kindle use under normal sunlight environment.” In my experience that means near a window, which should be easy enough.

The cover also packs a reserve battery, which can either power an LED reading lamp (built right in) or offer extra reading time by feeding energy into the Kindle’s main battery. The LED lamp will run for 50 hours continuously before using the Kindle battery. Solar focus says that an hour under direct sunlight can offer 3 days of reading time.

Take care.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Discussion on Amazon regarding solar chargers here
with links to this product for 45 dollars.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 10:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Praetorius

I didnt even think to see if they already had a solar charger for the Kindle.

Sorry guys, that was a dee ta dee moment.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 01:05 PM
link   

I didnt even think to see if they already had a solar charger for the Kindle.

If you get the voltages correct, I promise you can get a cheaper one, same as the expensive travel adapter. Keep in mind, just because the adapter and connection is the same, doesn't mean it's going to work.

For example. My kobo e-reader has the same adapter and socket that my old samsung phone has, as well as the new galaxy s2.

My wife, god bless her, decided to charge it up for me one day, using the wrong adapter. Oh it charged fine. And now has a amazing battery life of maybe 7 hours in standby. That, my friend, is what happens when you charge a lithium battery with the wrong voltage.

the kindle uses e-ink screen correct? you should get epic battery life on that sucker in stand by.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 01:19 PM
link   

My kindle charges in about 15-20 min if its completely dead. If I leave wifi or 3G on it kills it faster.

top topics

join