It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's process to mail shotgun from US to overseas?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 04:47 PM
link   
I spent some time looking online but feel like I am going around in circles. Can someone provide pointers on how to ship a shotgun (for hunting) from the US to a foreign country. I need to mail this as a gift to a relative in Central America so he can use it for hunting purposes.

It should be a simple process where I can possibly use a gunsmith for shipping or even the USPS (not sure). My relative would have to ensure his gun license is up to date and just receive it.

I am concerned about overall shipping costs and any other miscellaneous costs since we are only talking 1 shotgun but maybe the experts can guide me on what I need to do to ensure I cover all bases and look at expected costs to ship the gun.

Thanks.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 04:51 PM
link   
I have a bad feeling that even if you do ship it and are able to. It will never to get to the new owner.

just saying.
edit on 22-5-2012 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Jaellma

shouldnt you be more worried about being arrested for gun smuggling than shipping charges?

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Jaellma

Why dont you contact the USPS, Fedex , or UPS and ask them what you need to do to be able to ship a gun out of the country... I'm assuming you would need to fill out paper work... and it probably also depends on the country you're shipping it to and their laws... Im pretty sure you wont be allowed to do this, legally...
edit on 22-5-2012 by jhn7537 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 05:08 PM
link   
You can only ship a gun to someone with an FFL.

Shipping guns across international borders is almost certainly illegal nowadays. If you are shipping to an APO it might be different.

What country would you be shipping to? That would get you a clearer answer..

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 06:08 PM
link   
reply to post by TinkerHaus

Thanks for responding. I am shipping it to Costa Rica. I pulled up their gun laws but it only has a paragraph on shipping/importing guns. Basically said the person receiving the gun has to be properly licensed (which he is). So, I still have to clear my end to what to do to follow all the laws. If it is illegal, then that would kill the whole deal.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 06:28 PM
link   
reply to post by lacrimosa

shouldnt you be more worried about being arrested for gun smuggling than shipping charges?

No, because unlike the masses, I do my homework before venturing into unknown territory. I do everything legal so there are ABSOLUTELY no worries about any shenanigans. Thanks for your concern though.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 10:31 PM
link   
I found this below but it doesn't include shipping out of the country.

(B7) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U.S. Postal Service?
A nonlicensee may not transfer a firearm to a non-licensed resident of another State. A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. The Postal Service recommends that long guns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun.
[18 U.S.C. 1715, 922(a)(3), 922(a)(5) and 922 (a)(2)(A)]

(B8 May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by common or contract carrier?
A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by a common or contract carrier to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm.
[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(2)(A), 922(a) (3), 922(a)(5) and 922(e), 27 CFR 478.31 and 478.30]

new topics

top topics

join