It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: Protests Surround Presidential Debate

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 08:26 AM
link   
Outside of the University of Miami Campus, hundreds of protesters gathered for various causes. While the majority of the protesters were Kerry supporters opposed to war, supporters of Ralph Nader who was snubbed from the debates, also protested calling the debates a farce. Nader spent the evening with students in the University Cafeteria watching the event. There was also protests from Cubans against Bush and Cubans for Bush, but the Bush support was minimal compared to the anti Bush sentiment.

www1.wsvn.com
Most of the protesters supported Kerry. Many were students, union workers and the unemployed. They criticized the war in Iraq and Bush's economic policies, chanting "Kerry, Kerry, Kerry," and "What do we want? Jobs."

Security was tight on campus and there was a large police presence on the streets outside. The demonstrations were largely peaceful and carnival-like, with stilt-walkers, drummers, and people with painted faces. No arrests were reported as of Thursday night.

Demonstrators carried 76 flag-draped miniature coffins, one for each soldier killed in Iraq this month, in a half-mile parade down U.S. 1 a block from campus. They were flanked by at least 50 police officers on bicycles. Three pro-Bush students crashed the procession with a large Bush-Cheney sign.

"We were looking for other Bush supporters, but we couldn't find them," said 21-year-old Loren Baum.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Comparitively speaking as to previous demonstrations the protest was on a much smaller scale but it does not diminish the views and feelings or those who chose to partake in the event.

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 12:05 PM
link   
I'm not sure that Kerry could do any better or worse of a job than Bush. They both stink, and the fact that they are our only two real options makes me question the true nature of our system. Seems to me like either way we're getting screwed.

I protest... the entire system. Boo to Kerry and boo to Bush. They both make all of us here in the U.S. look like fools. I know people who are college drop-outs who could probably do a better job lol.

Why can't we have a non-millionaire candidate?... ya know... a REAL person and not an aristocrat. I don't buy into the "business sense" that a wealthy and so-called successful candidate may bring to the office. These guys didn't even earn most of their wealth... it was inherited or married into lol. *sigh*

The whole thing makes me want to move to an island somewhere off the coast of S. America. Maybe one of the Cayes in Belize lol.

join