It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Arrogance.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 08:01 AM
link   
In existence does not mean discoverable. Only arrogance assumes this is the case. Humans exist in a fleeting awareness, infinitesimal in the scheme of things. Humans, because of evolution have become able to ask questions, make assumptions. These questions and assumptions only mirror data that humans are able to deal with. to concoct fanciful scenarios around and provide supposed omnipotence. Consider the extent to which religious faiths claim knowledge, how imagination makes extra-terrestials almost human but not quite. Perhaps, it is not that what humans are yearning to discover is out there but just out of reach for now,... but that what humans are yearning to discover is not discoverable at all by them. Where does this leave humanity? Cast adrift? In danger of being destroyed by something that fits no criteria for knowledge nor belief? Of course, to give this latter statement something more substantive than mere conjecture, there has to be what doesn't fit becoming known unequivocally. Those that find themselves trying to examine something of this sort invariably find that society, learned and otherwise, regards them as kooky. Why? Because there's safety in the way things are and expected to be. It's kept this way deliberately by various means. For example, humans expecting to go off to 'heaven' (laugh). Humanity carrying on developing and testing atomic weapons without any idea as to what the ramifications might really entail. Really meaning, having no idea what else there 'might' be. And that it 'might' not (with appeal to human abilities) like them, 'might' hate them?

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 01:19 PM
link   
I'm not trying to be funny but I really con;d not follow what you were saying. I think your trying to say is that humans think they know everything but in hines sight we really don't.

I just look at it this way... I am one person a human being living in a state in America. This country in part of a planet called earth. Our earth is part of a solar system which is part of a galaxy called the Milky Way. There are infinte number of galaxies and solar systems out there that have existed way longer than we humans have existed. In fact some stars are long gone yet we are just receving the light from them.

In short what i'm trying to say is how the hell can we claim to know anything. On the cosmic scale of things our existance on this planet has been nothing short of a brain fart. If the earth was to blow up tomorrow nothing else would really be effected. Things would go on just as they did eons ago.

I guess our "arrogance" makes us feel important in a universe were we are insignifant. We are specal in our own right but that's as far as it goes. We just need to be humbled that's all. A couple of hurrcianes and earthquakes should put us in our place.

join