It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Seattle to Restrict Drone Surveillance by city ordinace

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 11:42 AM
link   
www.eff.org...

In this case the police seem to agree but in other jurisdictions I think they will fight any oversight.

The ACLU of Washington has asked the city council to pass a legally binding ordinance detailing “what kind of information can be collected, who can collect it, how the information can be used, and how long it can be kept,” along with “an auditing process to make sure the policies are followed.” The Seattle Times agreed. In an editorial written on May 6, the city’s largest paper urged city council to adopt “usage restrictions, image-retention limits, and regular audits and reviews of drones as a law-enforcement tool.”

Seattle’s Police Department has already pledged drones would not be used for surveillance, and only “for situations like crime scene photography, missing person searches, and barricaded person scenarios.” They’ve also indicated they would work with the FAA to develop privacy policies. But as the Seattle Times noted, privacy safeguards must be implemented by binding ordinance, “not by policy nods, promises and good intentions.”

The linked source contains a link to FAA Drone Certificates issued. Does you city/county have one?

edit on 22-5-2012 by oghamxx because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by oghamxx

S&F for you.

Thankfully, my home state of Indiana is not listed on the interactive map.

ETA: I embedded the map below, but would suggest visiting it, as it is interactive.

edit on 5/22/2012 by freakjive because: (no reason given)

edit on 5/22/2012 by freakjive because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Seattle’s Police Department has already pledged drones would not be used for surveillance

.....and do they actually expect us to believe that?.....

Of course they will use them for surveillance. The first situation that arises where a drone would prove valuable for surveillance, it's going to happen. Whether or not they would admit it's use is another story.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 04:57 PM
link   
on the interactive map it has my university labeled to have one ... what does that mean that my school has a personal drone for use or that they are buying the surveillance services of the drone? ... im confused

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Drones are by definition, a surveillance tool..

They don't help plant gardens, or carry advertisement banners..

"won't be used for surveillance" that's pretty funny..

new topics

top topics

join