It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

World Peace, whose agenda?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 07:43 AM
link   
I recently came across a website that talked about this project to promote the ‘International day of peace’. The doctrine of this project is stated on the www.worldpeace.org... site.

“People all over the world are joining together to bring peace to our hearts and our planet through the prayer May Peace Prevail on Earth. This prayer for world peace carries a message of great hope and healing. It transcends barriers of nationality, race and religion to unite humanity in a call for the common good of all life on Earth.”

Then on the same site, it promoted the peace pole project. I think this has been around for awhile, but it was the first I had heard of it.

“There are more than 250,000 Peace Poles in 180 countries all over the world dedicated as monuments to peace. They serve as constant reminders for us to visualize and pray for world peace…They are in simple places, such as churches and gardens, and extraordinary ones, such as at the Pyramids of El Giza, Egypt or the Magnetic North Pole in Canada. They are promoting healing of conflict in places like Sarajevo and the Allenby Bridge between Israel and Jordan.”

What struck me was the design of these peace poles and the other name they go by. ‘Peace Obelisk’. So, why are they in a shape of an Obelisk, and what is an Obelisk anyway? Well, I did some more investigation and looked up what obelisks are.

Definition of Obelisk

A stone pillar having a rectangular cross section tapering towards a pyramidal top
www.cogsci.princeton.edu/cgi-bin/webwn

Well, we knew that.. so what is the purpose of an Obelisk?

Vertical stone pillar of needle shape with pyramidion on the top. Its origin ties it to the Egyptian sun cult. They are always carved from a single stone. The tapered top part of them were usually covered with gold or electrum.
egyiptom.freeweb.hu...

So the obelisk origin is from Egypt and it has something to do with a sun cult. What are the sun cults in ancient Egypt? I looked up some more sites.

Auf Ra - Aspect of the Sun God. Peace, rest, sleep. and courage.
www.wisewayz.com...

So Ra, the Sun God supposedly brought peace, I also found out that Heliopolis City in Egypt was the centre of sun worship in ancient Egyptian times.
www.aldokkan.com...

Another amazing thing I found out is that the Egypt’s tallest obelisk was in Heliopolis up until about 1586 when the Pope Sixtus V ordered it excavated and moved to the Vatican and St Peters square.
www.lindahall.org...

So, why would the catholic church be interested in collecting this obelisk that is in stark contrast to its Christian beliefs? After all, isn’t sun worship pagan? Well, possibly the Catholic church suspects that Ra the sun god has the power to bring peace, and that is why in Jan 1968 the church announced an International day of peace..

“The Catholic Church, with the intention of service and of example, simply wishes to "launch the idea", in the hope that it may not only receive the widest consent of the civilized world, but that such an idea may find everywhere numerous promoters, able and capable of impressing on the "Day of Peace", to be celebrated on the first day of every new year, that sincere and strong character of conscious humanity, redeemed from its sad and fatal bellicose conflicts, which will give to the history of the world a more happy, ordered and civilized development.”

www.vatican.va...

and every year since the church has been pursuing the notion of ‘world peace’

2004 World Day of Peace Speech
“The task of watching over global peace and security and with encouraging the efforts of States to preserve and guarantee these fundamental goods of humanity was entrusted by Governments to an organization established for this purpose – the United Nations Organization – with a Security Council invested with broad discretionary power I observed that international law is a primary means for pursuing peace....Down the centuries, the teaching of the Church, drawing upon the philosophical and theological reflection of many Christian thinkers, has made a significant contribution in directing international law to the common good of the whole human family.....At the beginning of a New Year I wish to repeat to women and men of every language, religion and culture the ancient maxim: “Omnia vincit amor” (Love conquers all). Yes, dear Brothers and Sisters throughout the world, in the end love will be victorious!”

www.vatican.va...

So, the catholic church endorses the United Nations to pursue world peace… Isn’t this church and state coming together? And isn’t it interesting that the UN is the institution that has been the pushing force behind the International Day of Peace and the Peace Poles / Obelisks? Are they unwitting puppets?

www.un.org...

And what is the real purpose of the International day of peace anyway?

“to bring peace to our hearts and our planet through the prayer May Peace Prevail on Earth. This prayer for world peace carries a message of great hope and healing. It transcends barriers of nationality, race and religion to unite humanity in a call for the common good of all life on Earth.”

Well, this sort of sounded a bit weird to me. All religions coming together in peace and focusing on love? Yeah right. Impossible! It will never happen. Can you see fanatical Muslims and Christians ever becoming friends and having peace? Anyway, how could it be possible that this could ever happen? I just can’t buy it.

There is talk of all this prayer for world peace and that Jesus wanted world peace, but is that really the case?

I looked up the Bible to see what it had to say about it all. Some texts I found said:

Matthew 10:34 - Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.

Luke 12:51 - Suppose ye that I am come to give peace on earth? I tell you, Nay; but rather division.

Thessalonians 5:3 - For when they shall say, Peace and safety; then sudden destruction cometh upon them, as travail upon a woman with child; and they shall not escape.

Revelation 6:4 - And there went out another horse that was red: and power was given to him that sat thereon to take peace from the earth, and that they should kill one another: and there was given unto him a great sword.

So the Bible is pretty specific that there will never be peace on earth. After all, while Christ was on earth, he preached peace, but he was put to death. Hardly a peaceful outcome to his ministry. How can there ever be peace when good and evil, apposing forces exist on earth???

It says in Thessalonians 5:3 that people will be crying for peace and safety and then sudden destruction will follow. Don’t know about you, but to me, this has the familiarity of what is happening now.

What do you think?

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 08:11 AM
link   
As much as I would love to believe in a true and realistic "world peace", this is not Hollywood or a novel....we do not and probably, for quite sometime, will not live in a StarTrek type utopian world society; we do not live in a Christian style utopia, etc.

World Peace is one such entity which in concept, seems to amount to more like wishful thinking than actual reality. Certainly we would all love to end wars, conflicts, famines, etc. by becoming apart of one big "happy" world community, but I do not, IMHO, see such happening, even with a world influencing catastrophe taking place (ie: like in the movie Armageddon).

I do not believe there will ever be a real and true 'world peace'...perhaps I am thinking with a Plutonic sense on this, but lets be serious ok.....? George Orwell's 1984 stands to become more of a reality than a "world peace" type initiative or utopian thinking, despite what you have graciously presented.

seekerof

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Ok, so maybe the origins of the obelisk come from egypt in a sun cult. But that does not mean that the catholic church used the obelisk for the same reasons that ancient egyptians used it. They simple "borrowed" the obelisk and used it as a simialar symbol.

This actually happens very often. The english aplhabet is composed of 26 letters. The english alphabet was derived from the latin alphabet, which originally had no J, U, or W. So we borrowed some latin "symbols" and created our own alphabet.

The above was just one example of borrowed symbology. It happens all the time. Just because we use most of the same letters as the Latin alphabet does not mean that I can read latin. Same with the obelisk.

posted on Oct, 2 2004 @ 05:47 PM
link   

This actually happens very often. The english aplhabet is composed of 26 letters. The english alphabet was derived from the latin alphabet, which originally had no J, U, or W. So we borrowed some latin "symbols" and created our own alphabet.

Unfortunately this argument really has nothing to do with the catholic church and its adoption of symbols. It does have something to do with your lack of knowledge about the origions of the English Alphabet.

The missing letters were actually J, U,W,Y, Z

In addition, the primary purpose of letters are to support the representation of sounds to create words. Before the alphabet was created, humans actually used little pictures (cuneiform) to write.

Just because we use most of the same letters as the Latin alphabet does not mean that I can read latin. Same with the obelisk.

The reason you and myself can not read latin is because we are ignorant. We have not been educated or taught how to read and speak this language. The majority of the world is ignorant when it comes to the origins and definition of symbols. This does not change their intended meaning.

Do you really believe an organisation that boasts to be the oldest form of christianity in the world is ignorant regarding history and the meanings of cultural symbols, especially when they went to such lengths to adopt many of the traditions into their own? In contrast, I believe there are those in the organisation that know exactly what they represent and mean. It doesnt mean the general population have any idea.

The purpose of why they have chosed to adopt them I can not really tell you. I have just joined the dots as my above post has pointed out.

I was hoping someone else could fill me in on the rest.

top topics

join