It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

14 Permanent Bases in Iraq

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 06:41 AM
link   
I watched the debate last night, and I must say that both candidates did very very well. What bothered me was the fact that there are 14 permanent US military bases in Iraq. Permanent? Why are they permanent? And they are covering the oil fields and not the nuclear facilities. I don't understand. How long are our troops supposed to stay in Iraq?

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 07:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by deeprivergal
I watched the debate last night, and I must say that both candidates did very very well. What bothered me was the fact that there are 14 permanent US military bases in Iraq. Permanent? Why are they permanent? And they are covering the oil fields and not the nuclear facilities. I don't understand. How long are our troops supposed to stay in Iraq?

Interesting. Although, I'd like to know if they mean 'permanent' like Europe-permanent, or permanent as in "It's more than a few tents and sandbags."

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 08:19 AM
link   
The war in Iraq was not about oil, that was just a bonus. It is about 'occupying' a country in the middle east, between Isreal and Iran, close enough to NK, and make it a staging area for the war on terror. We needed a country to fight the battle on all sides nad Kuwait was not large enough, and soon the politics in Saudi will change, and not forthe better for foriegn business interests.

We mistakenly thought that we could scare the insurgents from Iraq, but his has not occured.

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by deeprivergal
What bothered me was the fact that there are 14 permanent US military bases in Iraq. Permanent? Why are they permanent?

Don't worry about it. KERRY is the one that said they are permanent.
If Kerry says it, then it probably isn't true. Betchya there are some
buildings in the temporary bases there that have some wood framing
to them and that is what Kerry calls 'permanant'.
His wording
was that he talked with folks at these bases and they described the
buildings in such a way that they 'sounded permanant'. Sounded.
No facts to back it up. No papers signed by the Iraqi Gov't allowing
permanant US bases on their land. Nothing. Just Kerry saying that
the buildings 'sounded' permanant.

Did Kerry actually speak with anyone at those bases? Dunno'. He
also claims to have spoken with many many foreign leaders who want
him to beat Bush. However, a check of Kerry's office phone records and
foreign visits reveal no evidence to support that statement. I doubt
Kerry ever spoke to anyone in those bases, and if he did, I don't think
that wooden framing constitutes 'permanant military bases'.

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Here's some links with info on the bases, some say 4, some say 6, only the first one says 14, there's also one article in which Rumsfeld denies permanent bases.

www.khilafah.com...

www.ipsnews.net...

www.truthout.com...

usembassy.state.gov...

www.melbourne.indymedia.org...

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 09:35 AM
link   
PS...I am a full supporter of Bush and I was not trying to point out a 'atta-boy' for Kerry. If anyone actually watched the debateds last night, they would have seen 2 things.

Bush- Repeatedly, i mean repeatedly, stated his goals which are unvawvering just as they are now. YOu may not agree but at least you know what he is about.

Kerry- "you make me, promises,promises......" I really tried to lisen with an open mind but contradict their own statements within 2 minutes, not a futre president. Itf this was the old west he would be selling miracle elixirs....

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 09:36 AM
link   
What about all of the palaces and government offices we occupy? I doubt we will be giving them back. They house tons of soldiers and commands, and there would be nowhere to move them move to.

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 09:41 AM
link   
They were referred to as 'Enduring Bases' by the military, not permanent bases.

Here's one more link to add to the ones that worldwatcher has provided:

Iraq Facilities
Green Zone Baghdad
Camp Anaconda Balad
Camp Cooke Taji
Camp Ferrin-Huggins Baghdad
Post Freedom Mosul
Camp Victory Baghdad airfield
Camp Marez Mosul airfield
Camp Renegade Kirkuk
Camp Speicher Tikrit area

[edit on 1-10-2004 by AceOfBase]