It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iceland's net traffic plummets, following P2P raids!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2004 @ 10:28 PM
link   
www.theregister.co.uk...

The link above is the story, am i right in saying it is very dificult to trace a peer to peer network session or another way of asking this I thought p2p was safe way of sharing files online? Safe as in untraceable due to multiple packets of data making up the files downloaded. Help on this one please?

posted on Sep, 30 2004 @ 11:31 PM
link   
[really simple explanation]

All packets are traceable due to their needing a tag which tells them where to go and where they came from, otherwise they would just float without a home!

Packet sniffers are used to find out the addresses attached to the packets.

posted on Sep, 30 2004 @ 11:48 PM
link   
How do they know what the overall file is surely they cant trace every packet on p2p that is sent out via a massive network. I'm thinking bandwidth usage as a way of finding out who is downloading all those latest movies from tmdmoviez

if your usage is over a certain amount 30 gig a month you could be on a list for investigation this could be alarming.

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 12:15 AM
link   
Its rather easy, first off you dont log every single packet. Setup say a certain range of IPs on the network that are pushing alot of traffic, then focus on only packets originating from ports that are associated with p2p applications. Also with some clever coding you could probably have rules to only grab packets of certain p2p applications, so you could further narrow your search.

On the topic of bandwidth useage as a way to be singled out, its a 50/50 thing. Lots of things can cause high bandwith usage, such as streaming audio/video (shoutcast) legal downloads of software (Linux ISOs are pretty hefty at about 650mb a piece) then you have people who run private servers which depending on the content get lots of traffic. The computer I'm on now has been online constantly for 6 days and recieved a little over 1.4gb of data; all of which is legitimate and legal (and alot of it consists of constant ATS browsing) Bandwidth I would say is just a starting point, and as indicated not always a valid cause for investigation.

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 12:21 AM
link   
But who is grabbing the packets [naughty] my point being are you saying they are being intercepted and then passed on?

Some kind of network internet police force?

logging IP's is one thing but snooping of this kind is another.

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 02:08 AM
link   
Mabe they should move to bittorrent.

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 07:49 AM
link   
It says in the article that the filesharing had occurred on Direct Connect hub (with DC++ application you're using the direct connect protocol). In DC it's very easy to get someones ip. You don't have to be too naughty.

Assuming you use windows:

0.) Start the DC++
1.) Connect to a hub.
2.) Search for your movie.
3.) Start downloading the movie from the first person you haven't tried yet
4.) While downloading open the command prompt
5.) Type "netstat"
6.) See the ip (not the hub ip but the other one), write it down
7.) Remove the user from your queue in DC++
8.) Go back to step 3, until you're thru with the search results
9.) Take the list you wrote the ip's on, boot up the fax machine and call your lawyer.

There's probably easier or more efficient ways to do this, but this is something you could try at this very moment to verify it yourself.

DC however remains popular because most hubs force people to share tens of gigabytes so there's plenty of stuff to download and you can pick a hub from your neighbourhood and enjoy good transfer speeds.

[edit on 1-10-2004 by vibetic]

Ok forget that, I just checked myself and it's even easier than that. When you download from someone, there's a section in the DC++ transfers window that shows the ip
. But with a similar software that doesn't directly show your ip to everyone one could use netstat.

[edit on 1-10-2004 by vibetic]

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Yeah,,Thinker,bittorrent rules..Great python code.

posted on Oct, 4 2004 @ 07:45 AM
link   
Who is spending the time and resource needed to do this, the interpol of the net, the federal bureau of internet abuse?

If we thought no one was actively policing the net then we were wrong.

posted on Oct, 4 2004 @ 07:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Munro_DreadGod

Yes you are. It has been knowen that the internet is being "watched" for sometime.

posted on Oct, 4 2004 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Actually its an ISP's perrogative to sniff their traffic, because you are using THEIR network. The internet is being watched, but not how most think. Yes there is a powerful surveilence network run by the goverments, but they arent watching the whole internet it just is flat out impossible and SO will back me up on this, he has noted the impossiblity of total monitering of the internet before in other threads. More likely the internet is watched by vigilant admins sniffing their respective networks for suspect traffic, malicious users, and the like.

The bottom line is if you dont want someone reading your email, IM's or reviewing the logs of what you browse and download unplug your computer now, lock it away in the basement, and leave the internet alone because there is NO privacy to be had here

posted on Oct, 4 2004 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Munro_DreadGod
Who is spending the time and resource needed to do this, the interpol of the net, the federal bureau of internet abuse?

Anyone who would care to, from the producer of the movie to the big network studios to... anyone who can hire a geek to snoop.

"Naive" is probably a better term. Those of us who are heavily into the net know (as Alternate says) that there is NO privacy on the nets. If you want something ultra private, use goodole mail... or hand it to the person yourself. The internet is your LEAST secure and least private option.

posted on Oct, 4 2004 @ 06:59 PM
link   
that the reaction from icelands users of the internet as the title mentions is a worry. If for the most part you are using the net for as best described normal purposes then the fact they can target specific persons for say copyright infringement is to me interesting as the amount of online users in huge. So are they going for specific sites that are
known to hold 'dodgy material' and following the paper trail from there?

new topics

top topics

join