It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Question for "Believers"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2004 @ 08:22 PM
link   
**Dons the flame-retardant suit**

I once asked a lady I worked with before , whom I knew to be deeply, deeply religious what her thoughts on evolution were after I questioned how 'Adam' could have just appeared when made by God - made out of clay etc. etc. Her answer was "There are some things we're not supposed to question."
I'm a logical person and this just doesn't compute to me. Also, God took a rib from Adam etc and created Eve.
I'm no doctor, but apparently males and females have the same amount of ribs

www.biology.clc.uc.edu...

I was brought up in a roman catholic family. Until I was around 11 I "HAD" to go to chapel every sunday. If I didnt there was hell to pay from my teachers on the Monday.
At age 11 my parents decided that I could make up my mind about what I wanted to do about my religion. I promptly decided to discard it, much to their and my teachers chagrin.

Being a bright, advanced student at school I couldn't quantify alchemical things like turning water into wine, much less a man floating up into the sky after he's been brought back from the dead??? I think Newton himself would be one of the people to query that one.
Writings supposedly over 2000 years old say this happened and millions upon millions of people sheepishly follow this and actually believe it.

Sorry, but to me it's BS.

I'd welcome comments, particularly those which can debunk what I think. If it can be proved, I will gladly be converted.

regards
flc

posted on Sep, 30 2004 @ 09:48 PM
link   
I am having troubles finding your question. I don't think you actually asked a question there.

If your question was how could Adam appear come into being, the answer is "Through the will of the One with all the power."

If your question was why was that her answer, the answer is "I do not have a clue."

1Th 5:21 Prove all things; hold fast that which is good.

Psa 32:9 Be ye not as the horse, [or] as the mule, [which] have no understanding: whose mouth must be held in with bit and bridle, lest they come near unto thee.

If your question was why do men and women have the same number of ribs, my answer is "If I had my appendix removed, my children are still born with an appendix."

If your question was how does a logical and scientific mind comprehend that which have no explanations, my answer is "Seek to understand the nature of consciousness as per theorectical physics. Until you can understand how one perceives, one cannot fully understand that which is perceived."

Take Care.

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 12:45 AM
link   
i dont understand how you dont get how God created Adam and Eve. If God created the Universe, you honestly believe he couldn't create Adam and Eve? And maybe Man was supposed to have 4 ribs originally????

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 05:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by funlovincriminal
Being a bright, advanced student at school I couldn't quantify alchemical things like turning water into wine, much less a man floating up into the sky after he's been brought back from the dead??? I think Newton himself would be one of the people to query that one.
Writings supposedly over 2000 years old say this happened and millions upon millions of people sheepishly follow this and actually believe it.

Sorry, but to me it's BS.

1000 years ago the common accepted belief would call most of our theories complete BS and utterly untrue.

So when you are asking this, from what era are you looking from? Current? Yes it sounds like BS. Hundreds of years ago? Its accepted as the truth.

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 12:27 PM
link   
One school of thought is God created nature and therefore would do all things through the natural laws we're coming to understand - biology, physics, chemistry etc. It's then not unreasonable to be Christian to believe in evolution. In fact, I know a good number of people who, after learning and discoveries in science, came to the conclusion that God must exist because of the extensive logic/order behind the universe.

Another belief is that God over-rules the created nature and will commit acts that distinguish him as God. In this way, more faith is required since a Christian needs to believe his understanding is inferior to God's understanding. Here, a miracle happens unexplained because of God.

I don't think there's a right or wrong way to think about this. If so, the doctrine would be more specific as in the case with other key events. The search is what makes life interesting I think.

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 05:34 PM
link   
well if ur a fundamentalist and take the bible litterally this ios scientifically impossible, but if you look at the bible in a realistic way...the writers of the bible really have no clue, their writing down what tey have been told from oral tradition...

play this game:get 3 people and have one look at a pic and give info to another to pass along to another person to draw it down, # doesnt come out perfect.

aside from that the RCC belives god made man but not in the bible's way, as in God started evolution, since he did make the universe.

its more of a poetic way to say God took a rib etc.

[edit on 10/1/2004 by Zach]

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 07:49 PM
link   
*coming from a totally unbiased train of thought*
*not religious, dont think much about it*

So basically what all of you have replied with is that all the things that happened in the bible really didnt happen, so I shouldnt take the bible literally. It must also be true that the bible has lied to me then. Reading a book of lies does not leave me with a comforting feeling. Lastly then, is religion itself a lie?

posted on Oct, 2 2004 @ 12:43 AM
link   
The scriptures, especialy those regaurding creation, are not to be taken completely literaly. If one examines the scriptures, it says that every second on earth is 10,000 years to God or something along that line. Well the bible also says that in the beginning, God walked on earth. Therefore, if God choses to manifest his ultimate infinite self onto earth, then the time on earth would be equivilent to 'God years', allowing evolution to take progress.

Also, about your rib thing, the bible doesnt say that God just gave woman one rib, he created woman as a whole form the one rib. Examine the scriptures closely and you will find evidence.

Religion doesnt always have to match up with science, thats the beauty of it. What is real is as real as one makes it to be, that is the first rule of psychology. If it is not your beliefs, then it is not your place to question the beliefs. Period.

posted on Oct, 2 2004 @ 02:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by saint4God
One school of thought is God created nature and therefore would do all things through the natural laws we're coming to understand - biology, physics, chemistry etc. It's then not unreasonable to be Christian to believe in evolution. In fact, I know a good number of people who, after learning and discoveries in science, came to the conclusion that God must exist because of the extensive logic/order behind the universe.

Another belief is that God over-rules the created nature and will commit acts that distinguish him as God. In this way, more faith is required since a Christian needs to believe his understanding is inferior to God's understanding. Here, a miracle happens unexplained because of God.

I don't think there's a right or wrong way to think about this. If so, the doctrine would be more specific as in the case with other key events. The search is what makes life interesting I think.

I agree completly. God and Science are not mutually exclusive. An open mind needs to embrace all the information.

doctorduh

posted on Oct, 2 2004 @ 02:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by TreyFlipAWS
*coming from a totally unbiased train of thought*
*not religious, dont think much about it*

So basically what all of you have replied with is that all the things that happened in the bible really didnt happen, so I shouldnt take the bible literally. It must also be true that the bible has lied to me then. Reading a book of lies does not leave me with a comforting feeling. Lastly then, is religion itself a lie?

Some of the bible being metaphorical in nature instead of factual does not equate with the bible being a "book of lies". It also doesn't mean that some of the events in the bible didn't happen. They obviously did since the era of the Roman Empire is pretty well documented. That doesn't mean they all happened or none of them happened. I'm a parent and I can tell you that the history books that we all were and are taught out of are written from some perspective and it will be argued later that it wasn't factual. That doesn't mean all of the information in history books are lies.
I don't know if your taking a "devils advocate" style of approach here or not but you don't actually sound "unbiased in your train of thought" or "...don't think much about it". You sound convicted in your non-belief and ,no offense here intended, your extreme logic progression above illustrates this. I viewed it something like this: well every thing didn't actually happen so none of it happened so it's all garbage. Consider this. If your mother made up a story to help you sleep at night does that mean she's lying when she tells you she loves you?

doctorduh

top topics

join