It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Getting Back in Touch with Nature.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Last weekend I was fed up with technology and such, so I decided to get away from it all and drive into the forest. It was about an hour drive, and the further I got away from the city, the better I felt.

I found a nice spot deep in the forest and parked my car. I got out of my car, cracked open a beer (yes I am of age) and started trekking it through the forest in shorts and flip-flops.

Immediately the atmosphere was so much different than the city vibes. There was a sense of the forest whispering around me, active and alive all around. I kept walking on an uphill slant up the mountain forest, and there was no sign of a hiking trail or anything; I was simply making my own path.

I found a clearing in the woods and there was a nice slab of rock enjoying the sun. I stood on top of the rock and got a look at my surroundings. The first thing I noticed was there was no sounds of electricity buzzing in the background. It was incredibly peaceful to get away from all the cell phone and Wi-Fi radio waves, and all that other noise.

On this smooth slab of rock, I noticed a small rock that looked like I could draw with it. The rock worked as a natural piece of chalk, and I started drawing on the big rock. As I was drawing, I felt like my ancestors as they drew on cave walls and rocks as well. It was incredible and I drew my favorite sun design. I took a step back and marveled at my work. It was so old school, and sometimes that is what we really need.

I decided it was time to climb back down the mountain, but it was a very steep hill, so I looked around for some assistance. I found a perfect walking stick type branch, and it helped greatly. A few more steps down, I found another good branch, and they both helped me down the mountain. I was thinking of how I might want to keep these, and right then and there, one of them broke. I said thank you for the help, gave it back to the forest and continued my way down. A few more steps and the other one broke, and I said thank you to it too and also returned it to the forest.

I made it back to where I started, with a greater appreciation of nature.

The end.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Good for you. I need one of those too. There should be one of those days as a holiday. Screw these man made bs holidays. Halloween you my only friend.

I am going to take your advice thank you for the inspiration!

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 05:28 PM
link   
reply to post by samlf3rd

I like your idea. A Mental Health Nature Holiday. Would be so much better than some of the ones we have now.

OP...sounds like you had an insightful adventure...thanks for sharing it with us.

Des

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 05:30 PM
link   
wtf? aren't you "in touch" with nature already?

YOU ARE NATURE YOU BLIND FOOL!

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by mzungu

Yeah I might be nature, but the concrete jungle isn't exactly nature.

When I went into the forest, it was nature hanging out with nature.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by SolarE-Souljah
Last weekend I was fed up with technology and such, so I decided to get away from it all and drive....

i stopped reading here.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 06:13 PM
link   
reply to post by SolarE-Souljah

Isn't Nature great?

Just watch out for ticks and mosquitos.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 06:15 PM
link   
reply to post by wlord

Okay yes, I saw that too. I know a car is technology, but I think you know what I mean.

I meant to say like electronic technology.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 06:16 PM
link   

That was a beautiful story...

Love camping and have fond memories of creating "art" in nature...very cool

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by mzungu
wtf? aren't you "in touch" with nature already?

YOU ARE NATURE YOU BLIND FOOL!

Cool Avatar Mzungu, Fave scene from fave movie. Look at Caveh Zahedi's other work - he's wicked.

Back On Topic - To the OP - Go one better and LIVE in nature. Be the rocks, the trees, the dirt, the air, the stars, the birds, the rain, the fire, the butterflies........ every day.

I live in subtropical rainforest on Australia's eastern coast, have done so for 8 years. I am starting to appreciate more and more each day the spiritual connection the indigeneous people of this country had for their land. I am starting to feel my spirit bond and fuse with my land, my environ. It is epic. I have told my partner that I will die here and that I want a no fuss burial - dig a hole, roll me in and plant a mango tree. My earth spirit will become the sweetness of the fruit.

Peace Out

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 06:37 PM
link   
reply to post by nimbinned

I was born and raised in a tropical environment, and I understand the importance and beauty of being connected with Mother Earth.

I recently had to move to a new location because of a job opportunity, and am now in a more city environment.

That is why it was so nice to reconnect with nature after being disconnected for a couple months, and in a brand new location too. I was used to rainforests and jungles, but this time around I got to explore a forest.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 07:12 PM
link   
reply to post by mzungu

I don't know. Are tons and tons of garbage in our oceans indicative of a species in touch with nature? Honest question. Can't wait to hear your answer.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by SolarE-Souljah

I was born and raised in a tropical environment, and I understand the importance and beauty of being connected with Mother Earth.

I recently had to move to a new location because of a job opportunity, and am now in a more city environment.

That is why it was so nice to reconnect with nature after being disconnected for a couple months, and in a brand new location too. I was used to rainforests and jungles, but this time around I got to explore a forest.

Funny how work always seems to get in the way of living a more authentic life. Hope it gives you some meaning. I have had to make some real sacrifices to achieve this type of life-style, it's not easy. Job opportunities are limited in rural areas, unless you know how to farm - and that's a real slog too with a 7 day working week.

A lot of people in my area are unemployed and live off government benefits. F..ck that. I don't want to be a slave to that soul-less machine. With the way the financial world is heading these benefits will be gone soon anyway.

Peace Out - Happy Foresting

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 11:27 AM
link   
I understand you title "getting back in touch with nature" cause were just stuck cooped up in either our house work place or school and just getting outside exploring is wonderful after hardly ever getting outside and appriciating whats around us.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 11:40 AM
link   

I know what you mean, every time I walk and camp in the forest it feels like a warm blanket is over me.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 11:53 AM
link   
You must of been the top predator at the time because it certainly sounds as if you ignored Nature in that flip-flops, beer, and no knowledge of your surroundings are not compatible; perhaps your purfume (deoderants) were enough to keep you safe, afterall, no one likes their food smelling like a chemical!

Goodluck with those Nature walks, in my neck of the "woods" (desert actually), wandering out to "nowhere" often leads us exactly there!

I am sure it was a beautiful experience, much like a park or a private sanctuary, and I do agree that most of us are unaware of the peace that can exist without all the workings of man.

Pictures would have been nice! I love seeing what others see! Wear boots next time and bring water! Let someone know where you are and when you are expected back. Nutritional bars would hold you for a time too!

I am glad you are safely back in your concrete world!

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 12:46 PM
link   
I think it's great that you chose to spend a day in the woods, and no doubt you got a lot more out of it than had you spent the day in the office of some shrink! I hate to be a party pooper, but I just can't agree with the beer! I know you said it was one beer, but that can be enough to throw a person's judgement off even just a little, and as beautiful as it is out there, Mother Nature can be quite unforgiving if a person messes up!
I was blessed with a career that involved working with wildlife and habitat protection, and this thread you've started is bringing back some beautiful memories. Thank you!
These are precarious times for all wildlife, but as long as there are people such as yourself who will give spending a day with nature a try, then come back and let others know how much they enjoyed it, there is hope for the future.
The next time you go out, try wearing clothes that don't rustle whenever you move a little. Pick a good spot then sit still. You'll be amazed when you see how much you missed your first time out!
Please...always pack out what you packed in. If a person can carry a bag of sandwiches in with them, they can certainly carry the empty wrappers back out!
Enjoy your walks in the woods, and hopefully you'll tell us of any interesting happenings along the way!

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 07:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Bkrmn

Nothing wrong with the 1 beer in my opinion. In fact I would recommend it, or even a small amount of weed. If your normal waking consciousness is grounded in the gross world day in/day out then it can take a long time to break away from it (not helpful if you've only got a few hours to spare). A small amount of a mind altering drug can really help you to disconnect from this gross world and then reconnect with something more meaningful and intrinsic - like nature.

One of my most potent peak experiences was in India, sitting in a small cafe, admiring the beauty of a lake palace below me, while the sun was setting. It was a long day and I was tired, I had one beer then BOOM, my spirit body just expanded exponentially in all directions. It was magnificent. I was radiant, beaming.

Anyway, felt like this deserved a comment

Peace Out

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 01:27 PM
link   

I suppose we could go on back and forth all day about the pros and cons of 1 beer and/or a little weed when out hiking, but I'm sure it would be pointless. Part of my job involved the rescue of injured hikers and rock climbers, though all too often what started out as a rescue ended up being a body retrieval, only because the victim had decided the edge of a cliff was the best place to sit and smoke a joint.
I understand the enhancing effects of a beautiful sunset a bit of weed can help produce, and if this is something you feel you need, then at least pick your seating areas carefully.
Enjoy, and don't forget your camera!

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 10:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bkrmn

I suppose we could go on back and forth all day about the pros and cons of 1 beer and/or a little weed when out hiking, but I'm sure it would be pointless. Part of my job involved the rescue of injured hikers and rock climbers, though all too often what started out as a rescue ended up being a body retrieval, only because the victim had decided the edge of a cliff was the best place to sit and smoke a joint.
I understand the enhancing effects of a beautiful sunset a bit of weed can help produce, and if this is something you feel you need, then at least pick your seating areas carefully.
Enjoy, and don't forget your camera!

That's cool. I acknowledge your perspective. It's easy for the situation to go all pear shaped when you are in unfamiliar surroundings. I have had my own little indiscretions too while hiking through the bush - and that was while I was straight too !

Have you seen the movie '127 Hours' ? Even the most professional hikers can end up in BIG trouble.

Peace Out - Stay Safe - Be one with your Inner and Outer Space.

top topics

join