It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Facebook Does To Your Brain

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 02:24 PM
link   
I found this to be an awesome story About Social Media in General.

Here is the seed of the problem. Social media can be so rewarding, that it overwhelms our ability to focus on other things. Our brain has terribly weak circuitry for inhibiting impulses, especially impulses that look delicious. Like our limited ability to do complex calculations in our heads, impulse control is a limited resource that tires with each use. For decades, food marketers have used this poor impulse control against us, to the point that there are now literally more people overweight than starving in the world, in large part due to empty calories that are all too readily available. Our minds may be going the way of our waistlines, as a result of “empty neural calories”: fodder for the brain that stimulates but doesn’t fulfil.

Throughout history, whenever a new technology emerged that dramatically changed how people interacted, it took time for our human practices to catch up. When the automobile first came out, people would drive at all speeds, in every direction. Eventually road rules and speed limits were put in place, and the world was a safer place. Facebook per se is not evil, just as cars are not evil. However our relationship with the automobile is safer overall with some rules in place, combined with good driver education.

Perhaps we need to start thinking about some road rules and speed limits for social media use. This is certainly important for our kids, whose self-regulation circuits are just forming. However given that self regulation is not one of our strong suits in modern society, perhaps we all need a better understanding of the impact of this new tool on our very ability to think.

What Facebook Does To Your Brain

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 02:25 PM
link   
I believe that Social Medias,such as Facebook,and Twitter should be regulated,to a personal extent. Meaning,we are so consumed by it,that I wonder what people would do without it. I wont go into the real negatives that I saw,such as people bulling on Facebook,leading to children committing suicide,or workers getting fired,for posting things on Facebook,just regulating how much time you actually spend on it,and how much personal information you put on it.I don't have a Facebook account,because I am more of a personable person,such as calling and seeing my friends,is a better way to socialize.MHO

So what does ATS think?
edit on 19-5-2012 by sonnny1 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 02:25 PM
link   
I'm on facebook but couldn't give a stuff about it to be honest. I could lose facebook tomorrow and I wouldn't even notice.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by michael1983l
I'm on facebook but couldn't give a stuff about it to be honest. I could lose facebook tomorrow and I wouldn't even notice.

Unfortunately not all people are like you.
I'm the same way as you but I'll tell you what, a month or 2 after I started my FB account I was addicted lol.
I admit it, I was a FB whore.
I'm rehabilitated now though lol

This thread made me think of the lady that left her child in the bathtub alone while she was playing FB games. The child drowned.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 02:31 PM
link   
i turned my facebook profile into a psychological warfare platform. i enjoy showing people things that they don't want to see.

did this study posit upon this eventuality?

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by kimish

Unfortunately not all people are like you.
I'm the same way as you but I'll tell you what, a month or 2 after I started my FB account I was addicted lol.
I admit it, I was a FB whore.
I'm rehabilitated now though lol

This thread made me think of the lady that left her child in the bathtub alone while she was playing FB games. The child drowned.

The reason why Personal limitations should be advised.MHO

I see EVERYONE checking their accounts.Posting on their accounts.In the lunchroom,in the checkout lane,in the car.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by michaelbrux
i turned my facebook profile into a psychological warfare platform. i enjoy showing people things that they don't want to see.

did this study posit upon this eventuality?

Its not a study,Mike its a man who said "that Facebook is so far ahead of human practice, it actually hacks our brains."

I think you are double hacking peoples brains !

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Hi FB nofans !

Think about that:

Facebook leaks its own code. . .
www.pcmag.com...
www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2170620,00.asp

Facebook security lapse leaves private photos exposed. . .
www.readwriteweb.com...
www.readwriteweb.com/archives/facebook_security_lapse_private_photos.php

Facebook, a black hole for personal info. . .
yro.slashdot.org.../02/12/1354255&from=rss
yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/02/12/1354255&from=rss

Blue skies.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by C-JEAN

I think anything can be hacked,but thats beside the point.

People need to balance their time on it,thats for sure.

Clearly,people are putting ALOT of info out there. Personal Info.

Who needs Big Brother.......

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

A girl killed herself from reading about conspirecy theories.. Do you think your ability to read ATS should be limited?

Sorry, personal freedom is personal freedom. Stop attempting to get into other peoples lives and worry with your own. Just what we need, more people telling us what we are free or not free to do.

Also, you know social networking is far from new.. Myspace was what, 2003? And friendster even before then. THEWELL started in 1984! Theglobe.com 1994, Geocities 1994 and Tripod.com 1995.
edit on 19-5-2012 by Resurected because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Resurected
reply to post by sonnny1

A girl killed herself from reading about conspirecy theories.. Do you think your ability to read ATS should be limited?

Sorry, personal freedom is personal freedom. Stop attempting to get into other peoples lives and worry with your own. Just what we need, more people telling us what we are free or not free to do.

Also, you know social networking is far from new.. Myspace was what, 2003? And friendster even before then.

You didn't read what I said.

Personally set your limitations.

Is that to hard to read what I said ?

NOWHERE am I attempting to get into peoples lives.

NOWHERE am I worrying about your life either....

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

Actualy i read
"and Twitter should be regulated,to a personal extent. "

My eyes must have dashed over the personal extent lol. And its ofcourse it is up to everyone to judge what they should or should not do. Though it not for someone to worry about or judge others for, and you did make this thread so... I could only assume that you where being worried with others lives and what they do with personal time.. Ofcourse having the opinion that people should spend less time understandable though.
edit on 19-5-2012 by Resurected because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Resurected

Actually I found the article interesting,so I wrote about it.

I am far from wanting ANYTHING regulated. I just find Facebook too intrusive,and really its like a drug,for many. People need to know their limitations. The child who drowned,because a woman was playing games on Facebook,is a perfect example.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

I'm going to have to disagree. If I follow the articles premise correctly he assumes people are weakening their minds by using facebook but I think human interaction/communication is what we make it.

I have never had a facebook account but I have seen the pages where people are chatting on them and it really doesn't differ much from this forum - apart from this forum having some predefined areas for posting certain topics.

Furthermore, who should be allowed to judge a persons worth based on their social habits or knowledge? I think a person's worth should be based on their happiness or the happiness they give to others.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 04:01 PM
link   
I do not believe in regulation of any kind the internet has become a paradox something that has so much promise has been reduced to one of the biggest propaganda tools that dictators only dream about.

Reminds me of Men in Black:

A person is smart. People are dumb paniky dangeous animals and you know it.

edit on 19-5-2012 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

It doesn't do anything to my brain because I refuse to use it. As for the addiction problem. People with addictions will simply trade one for another. Take away facebook and there will be something to fill the void.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Yeah, couldn't agree more, lol, soo wierd, this is second thread today that is very in sync with my thoughts today. I enjoy facebook in the respect that it keeps me in touch with family and friends out of my area, love seeing pics of the kids, dogs, cats, lol...etc... sharing funny stories and moments...and sometimes a forum to talk about some important issues happening around us.

I very much DISLIKE facebook for gathering information that can be used to hurt and profile people, and for myself I keep my current FB very neautral, because I appreciate the implications of how any information I post there may be used.

Really though, what I hate about FB is how it destroys relationships, and it does. Basically it is a "factual" account of your partners true intentions and desires if they are not honorable. I can't even imagine how many fights have occured between couples over FB, looking up old lovers, secreative messages with others not shared with your partner, playing "intimate" games, such as Sims game, etc...

It was the final nail in the coffin of my/our 10 yr relationship, which I am mourning very much right now. If you asked him, he would tell you I'm crazy, jealous and insecure, and I couldn't disagree that I became that way. He would tell you it is harmless, and actually had he not LIED it very well may have been. The betrayal was beyond what I could deal with, and this wasn't my imagination, it was "in my face" reality.

Anyways my ex high-jacked my original FB account, and actually it is NOT easy to cancel once someone changes your password, I tried and there are quite a few hoops you have to jump through and there is NO one you can talk to directly by phone, so this all must me done on-line. If I cancel the original account I have to also cancel current FB account, which is probably what I should do....just sucks.....sigh....

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Social media has made millions hypocrites as well they will set there and cry about how they have no privacy the government is spying on them and they turn around and put their whole lives out there for anyone to see.

Don't get that.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bleeeeep
reply to post by sonnny1

I'm going to have to disagree. If I follow the articles premise correctly he assumes people are weakening their minds by using facebook but I think human interaction/communication is what we make it.

I have never had a facebook account but I have seen the pages where people are chatting on them and it really doesn't differ much from this forum - apart from this forum having some predefined areas for posting certain topics.

Furthermore, who should be allowed to judge a persons worth based on their social habits or knowledge? I think a person's worth should be based on their happiness or the happiness they give to others.

Great take on it !

I looked at the Premise that way too at first,but I after reading it,I took this out of it,and it stuck.

Here is the seed of the problem. Social media can be so rewarding, that it overwhelms our ability to focus on other things. Our brain has terribly weak circuitry for inhibiting impulses, especially impulses that look delicious. Like our limited ability to do complex calculations in our heads, impulse control is a limited resource that tires with each use.

Its almost a dumbing down factor in a sense. It definitely stimulates like a drug.

Thats what made me think,we need to set priority's,and limitations,personally,when it comes down to social media.

These are my opinions,and I know people will disagree with them,but I always welcome the other side of the coin.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by redrose123
reply to post by sonnny1

It doesn't do anything to my brain because I refuse to use it. As for the addiction problem. People with addictions will simply trade one for another. Take away facebook and there will be something to fill the void.

You and me are in the same boat.....

I dont use it,and wont.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join