It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The future of Freemasonry

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2004 @ 06:35 PM
link   
Okay interested to know primarily from fellow bretheren there views on the future of the Craft and whether it still has a place in society. As a lot of lodges these days are no more than glorified Golf Clubs, and a lot of the meaning and ritual is backburnered.

Amalgamation is the talk of UK UGLE at the moment, and talk of a lot of input from the Marquis of Northampton who is looking to really push things forward. Make the Craft less 18th Century and more 21st.

posted on Sep, 30 2004 @ 11:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by lucifuge
Okay interested to know primarily from fellow bretheren there views on the future of the Craft and whether it still has a place in society.

Of course it has a place in society, now more than ever. In an era of moral equivalency and situational ethics, the moral stability of Masonry is even more necessary, and the youth of America are seeing that...

In my district, and throughout America, the lodges are seeing many more YOUNGER men joining the lodges, seeking something greater than themselves, a place to serve, a place where they can make a difference, to themselves and to society.

As a lot of lodges these days are no more than glorified Golf Clubs, and a lot of the meaning and ritual is backburnered.

I am not seeing that...

Amalgamation is the talk of UK UGLE at the moment, and talk of a lot of input from the Marquis of Northampton who is looking to really push things forward. Make the Craft less 18th Century and more 21st.

There is nothing wrong with staying current, as long as that which makes masonry MASONRY remains the core of the craft.

posted on Sep, 30 2004 @ 11:54 PM
link   
LOTS of young people at the open houses I attended. In fact, most of the interest lately has been from young people, that is, from twentysomethings.

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 08:17 AM
link   
Sad to say the youth of the UK don't see it that way. Do you still go by word of mouth or does recruitment enjoy mainstream visibility.

I was told by a fellow brother that in the US you don't wear the Men in Black outfits that we do a more casual affair is the order of the day.

Originally posted by theron dunn

Originally posted by lucifuge
Okay interested to know primarily from fellow bretheren there views on the future of the Craft and whether it still has a place in society.

Of course it has a place in society, now more than ever. In an era of moral equivalency and situational ethics, the moral stability of Masonry is even more necessary, and the youth of America are seeing that...

In my district, and throughout America, the lodges are seeing many more YOUNGER men joining the lodges, seeking something greater than themselves, a place to serve, a place where they can make a difference, to themselves and to society.

As a lot of lodges these days are no more than glorified Golf Clubs, and a lot of the meaning and ritual is backburnered.

I am not seeing that...

There is nothing wrong with staying current, as long as that which makes masonry MASONRY remains the core of the craft.

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 08:19 AM
link   
When you say open houses are you talking about lodge open days or is it something else?

Originally posted by LTD602
LOTS of young people at the open houses I attended. In fact, most of the interest lately has been from young people, that is, from twentysomethings.

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 08:35 AM
link   
Lodge open days, open to the public. Anyone is free to attend in order to ask quesions, meet the Masons, enjoy refreshments, etc. Lots of very deep, interesting discussions.

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 09:52 AM
link   
i hope its bleak!!

no offence to members but it really is outdated ... no women allowed ... why?

... and i know from personal experience that it allows genuine criminals to go unpunished just because the have important "friends" in thier silly wee gang!!

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Lucifuge, other than a few crazies, like the one preceeding this post, we are seeing a renewed interest in masonry. This is not just based on personal obervation, but on real numbers. Oh, the overall numbers are still declining due to the departure of our older members, but we are still seeing a ressurgence of membership applications, with MANY of them in the 20-25 age group.

Historically, at least in California, the average age of new members has been 47. These days that average is dropping, as is the average age in the lodges. Masonry is as relevant today as it always has been, especially so in an age of moral relativism and situational ethics. The world needs folks who see that there are absolutes and is proud to embrace those absolutes and encourage free thought.

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Ok. You think I am crazy?

I think anyone on ANY of these boards who actually questions this so called ethical society seems to be either ignored or dismissed as being stark-raving mad!!

Why do our opinions not count?

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Oh, your opinions count . . . except when they're uninformed and ill-intentioned. Then, they tend to be challenged.

[edit on 1-10-2004 by LTD602]

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Sockmonster has a point despite his claims.

Here in the UK Masons do have influence in the justice and judicial system. So I have read and heard anyway.

I would be interested to know how much influence....HMMmmmm google

Do you guys in the States know of any of this?

[edit on 1-10-2004 by 7th_Chakra]

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Influence in the justice and judicial system (not limited to Freemasons) is a far cry from accusing the those with the influehce of raping people, condonnig rape, covering for Mason-cabbies who rape customers, etc.

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Oh yeah it is.

But I am interested to know how much influence. Does anyone know.....?

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by 7th_Chakra
Here in the UK Masons do have influence in the justice and judicial system. So I have read and heard anyway.

I would be interested to know how much influence....HMMmmmm google
:]

Influence? None.
There are hardly any masons in the British judicial system. I believe at last count it was something like 3 out of 70 or so High Court judges.
What you have read is the typical media spin that accompanies any conjecture aimed at authority.

It would be interesting to see what your Google returns.

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 03:50 PM
link   
I haven't been bothered to google, just waiting to see what you (leveller, English mason) said about it. thanks.

Might get around to it sooner or later. I'll letcha know.

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by sockmonster
Ok. You think I am crazy?

I think anyone on ANY of these boards who actually questions this so called ethical society seems to be either ignored or dismissed as being stark-raving mad!!

Why do our opinions not count?

because they're notbased on anything perhaps? Look, if you or anyone comes up with ANY facts, I would be the first to admit that there is a problem, and to look for the fraternity to deal with it. But all we see is posts like the two you have left, innuendo and cryptic attacks.

If you have something to say, SAY it. If you have facts, show them, but half innuendos and airy slanders based on personal FEELINGS ain't worth a bucket of cold spit.

The purpose of the forum is to DENY IGNORANCE. If you want to DISPLAY ignorance, go to the FW forum...

posted on Oct, 2 2004 @ 02:22 AM
link   
Leveller,

Sorry if your actually Scottish. I can't remember where your from.
I know its UK anyway.

posted on Oct, 2 2004 @ 02:37 AM
link   
Silence !!! You will no longer leisurely speak of the Lodge as if ladies at a bridge club gossiping or ye will surely ride the goat for an eternity

There is no second warning

posted on Oct, 2 2004 @ 05:44 AM
link   
theron, you are asking for FACTS after just posting unsupported sales (recruitment) claims?
(see your own posts in this thread)

I notice LTD is 'in step' also.

Oh, theron In an era of moral equivalency and situational ethics , is there some reference you have for this or is this posturing?

Is there more moral equivalency now then say the 1920s?

Are situational ethics part of the Blue Lodge degrees? If so which one?

lucifuge Amalgamation is the talk of UK UGLE - I've heard that many masons in the UK belong to more than one Lodge, is this correct?

posted on Oct, 2 2004 @ 07:42 AM
link   
**yawn**

Another day on the battlefields of ATS . . . . .

It's all getting to be a bit repetitive these days.

Alright, I'll bite. Might as well . . . .

Sure, Gadfly, I'm "in step", in that I agree with most of what Ttheron is saying. It's just that he's very reasonable and makes an effort to qualify his statements. Actually, I've noticed that most of the Masons around here do that.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join