It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gef my fond childhood memory!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 03:28 AM
link   
A friend and i were talking about animals the other night and the subject of Gef came up then the rush of childhood memory's came back..Gef was one of my favorites there has been no hard evidence to prove that Gef was real,or if he was a ghost or living animal

Gef's tale begins in a small farmhouse on the Isle of Man in the 1930's. In September 1931 the Irving family - consisting of James, his wife Margaret, and their daughter Voirrey - started to hear strange noises like a wild animal coming from the attic of their farmhouse. Strangely enough, these noise began to develop into a voice, echoing the words spoken by James. Before long this mysterious voice had learnt a sufficient amount of English and it introduced itself as a mongoose by the name of Gef. He told them he had been born on the 7th of June, 1852, in Delhi, India.

Gef had a “focus” on the Irving’s daughter, Voirrey she was 13 at the time.. The mongoose had seemed to take a liking to her and spent much of his time talking to her.Gef was in his seventies, which is WAY beyond the lifespan of a normal mongoose. But, he was also afraid of ghosts...

One time Gef was downstairs talking to Margaret, and their daughter Voirrey. Jim heard that he was making jokes about him, and decided to turn the tables on the little mongoose. He took off his boots, drapped a sheet over his head, and tiptoed down the stairs.. Gef screamed in terror, then when Jim removed the sheet from his head, Gef cried in relief.

Gef also liked to call himself "a little clever, extraclever mongoose".Gef would also bring the family gifts of dead rabbits, would allow them to watch him eat via his shadow, and even stuck his hand out for them to see his stumpy, yellowed fingers..

The Irving family themselves finally moved out of the farmhouse in 1937. Later in 1947, the new owner of the farm claimed that he had shot a "strange looking mongoose like animal," which had been roaming around the property. Although some say that this may well have been the poor Gef..

Many of the events related by Irving can be classified by those experienced in psychical research as belonging to the class of ’poltergeist’ phenomena. Amongst these are Gef’s habit of throwing sand and small stones, also metal, wooden, and bone objects, at persons in or near Doarlish Cashen; the thumping, scratching, rapping, and banging noises which he makes behind the panelling and in the rafters of the house; and the movement of furniture…

I think Gef was a mongoose or a similar animal that learned to talk. There have been other remarkable creatures. Dogs have been taught to read and spell. Birds can speak.I think Gef will always be a wonderful mystery!

Below is a video about Gef the talking mongoose: A trip to Doarlish Cashen the home of Gef..Through the video Mr Irving wrote letters about the things Gef said he kept logs ..I just find Gef amazing and a childhood memory that makes me smile when his name and story is brought up..I hope you enjoy it as much as i have..peace,sugarcookie1

I also wanted to let you know i used the search button and yes its has been posted before ..But i wanted to bring this amazeing childhood memory back for people that dont know about Gef..This story always brought a smile to may face and its cute in a weird kind of way..please enjoy

Gef the talking mongoose

[url=http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread189140/pg2#pid1918420]Mod Edit: External Source Tags Instructions – Please Review This Link." target="_blank" class="postlink" rel="nofollow">
forums.digitalspy.co.uk...[url]

Gef also liked to sing and was good at it.. Gef also took to espionage. Apparently he spent good deal of time spying on the locals and reporting their goings on back to the Irvings. Occasionally, some of the locals reported hearing the odd sounds of an invisible creature, which they believed to be the Irving's "pet" mongoose.

Gef had a “focus” on the Irving’s daughter, Voirrey she was 13 at the time.. The mongoose had seemed to take a liking to her and spent much of his time talking to her.Gef was in his seventies, which is WAY beyond the lifespan of a normal mongoose. But, he was also afraid of ghosts...

One time Gef was downstairs talking to Margaret, and their daughter Voirrey. Jim heard that he was making jokes about him, and decided to turn the tables on the little mongoose. He took off his boots, drapped a sheet over his head, and tiptoed down the stairs.. Gef screamed in terror, then when Jim removed the sheet from his head, Gef cried in relief.

Gef also liked to call himself "a little clever, extraclever mongoose".Gef would also bring the family gifts of dead rabbits, would allow them to watch him eat via his shadow, and even stuck his hand out for them to see his stumpy, yellowed fingers..

The Irving family themselves finally moved out of the farmhouse in 1937. Later in 1947, the new owner of the farm claimed that he had shot a "strange looking mongoose like animal," which had been roaming around the property. Although some say that this may well have been the poor Gef..

Many of the events related by Irving can be classified by those experienced in psychical research as belonging to the class of ’poltergeist’ phenomena. Amongst these are Gef’s habit of throwing sand and small stones, also metal, wooden, and bone objects, at persons in or near Doarlish Cashen; the thumping, scratching, rapping, and banging noises which he makes behind the panelling and in the rafters of the house; and the movement of furniture…

I think Gef was a mongoose or a similar animal that learned to talk. There have been other remarkable creatures. Dogs have been taught to read and spell. Birds can speak.I think Gef will always be a wonderful mystery!

Below is a video about Gef the talking mongoose: A trip to Doarlish Cashen the home of Gef..Through the video Mr Irving wrote letters about the things Gef said he kept logs ..I just find Gef amazing and a childhood memory that makes me smile when his name and story is brought up..I hope you enjoy it as much as i have..peace,sugarcookie1

I also wanted to let you know i used the search button and yes its has been posted before ..But i wanted to bring this amazeing childhood memory back for people that dont know about Gef..This story always brought a smile to may face and its cute in a weird kind of way..please enjoy

Gef the talking mongoose

[url=http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread189140/pg2#pid1918420]Mod Edit: External Source Tags Instructions – Please Review This Link.

edit on 19-5-2012 by GAOTU789 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 03:57 AM
link   
Come on lets not let Gef die he is just amazeing and my favorite story of all time

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 04:33 AM
link   
Im going to bed and shed a tear over my thread no one is finding my Gef very interisting
sob sob

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 04:43 AM
link   
reply to post by sugarcookie1

lol sorry im still trying to get my head around your title lol, i thought you had been drinking and posting lol

ill read it and see what the hell you are talking about

edit on 16/5/12 by Whateva69 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 05:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Whateva69

lol sorry im still trying to get my head around your title lol, i thought you had been drinking and posting lol

ill read it and see what the hell you are talking about

edit on 16/5/12 by Whateva69 because: (no reason given)

Hi Whateva69
Na i dont drink at all i was just excited about posting on old Gef the story stayed with me for years i just thought it was such a neat story that many would like also
peace,sugarcookie1,

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 05:19 AM
link   

oh wow that is allot to get ones head around.

At first i thought a human ghost, playing a cheeky game of "i can kill you, but i wont". then as the story and quotes unfolded and the area of the encounter, just blew me away.

At one point in the clip it showed an animal sitting on the rafters? i thought the creature was in spirit form only, or am i mistaken.

You know it did remind me of though, having something to do with fairy's, pixies and all of those other tricksters out there.

what am amazing story, and thank you for sharing, as i said before i had no idea what you were talking about. so its a new story for me x x x

love and harmony
Whateva

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 05:28 AM
link   

oh wow that is allot to get ones head around.

At first i thought a human ghost, playing a cheeky game of "i can kill you, but i wont". then as the story and quotes unfolded and the area of the encounter, just blew me away.

At one point in the clip it showed an animal sitting on the rafters? i thought the creature was in spirit form only, or am i mistaken.

You know it did remind me of though, having something to do with fairy's, pixies and all of those other tricksters out there.

what am amazing story, and thank you for sharing, as i said before i had no idea what you were talking about. so its a new story for me x x x

love and harmony
Whateva

Gef also liked to call himself "a little clever, extraclever mongoose he was a animal but was he a poldergeist or was he a real mongoose ..Its a story thats fasinated me since i was a kid..and ya its alot to wrap your head around but its a story once told you never forget
peace,sugarcookie1

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 05:34 AM
link   
I remember when I was in my early teen years reading about "Gef" the concept always fascinated me. And I always wondered if this was real, a hoax or something else entirely. All we have now are stories and old eye witness accounts. I guess no one will ever really know.

But "Gef" did help me get interested in the paranormal so will always remember the story and be thankful for that.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 06:19 AM
link   

ok im hooked trying to get a better idea of what was going on in that little house.

i did find this thread, it has more information on the family.
im not ruling out ventriloquism yet.

but have a read mythfolk

love and harmony
Whateva

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 08:39 AM
link   
That was most certainly not an animal but some entity having himself a bit of "fun" with the family. Sounds like what Christians would call a "demonic entity" and what I would call a "djinn."

Quotes from the video:

- "I am a ghost in the form of a weasel, and I'll haunt you."

- "You don't know what mischief I could do if I was roused. I could kill you, too, if I wished, but I won't."

- "If you knew what I know, you'd know a hell of a lot."

- "I am a freak, and if you saw me you'd faint; you'd be petrified, mummified, you'd turn into stone or a pillar of salt."

- "I am the fifth dimension; I am the eighth wonder of the world, I can split the atom."

Just a mongoose, huh? Yeah, really pleasant little fella.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 09:37 AM
link   
reply to post by sylvie

I think you just hit the nail on the head.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by VunderVerks
I remember when I was in my early teen years reading about "Gef" the concept always fascinated me. And I always wondered if this was real, a hoax or something else entirely. All we have now are stories and old eye witness accounts. I guess no one will ever really know.

But "Gef" did help me get interested in the paranormal so will always remember the story and be thankful for that.

VunderVerks
The first time i read about Gef i was about 9 years old and he just fascinated me and still does ..After all he was the eight wonder
peace,sugarcookie1

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 01:31 PM
link   
reply to post by sylvie

Yes the fact that he identifies with a mongoose and yet claims to be all of those things is interesting.
Could it be symbolic of somthing?
When I think of a mongoose I think of a slippery little weasel-type creature. Then I think, well when we call humans "weasels" we associate the idea of a greasy, sneaky little theif.

OP said he likes to spy on the townsfolk. Maybe thats why he calls himself a mongoose?

. . .or maybe I'm grasping at straws.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 01:34 PM
link   

ok im hooked trying to get a better idea of what was going on in that little house.

i did find this thread, it has more information on the family.
im not ruling out ventriloquism yet.

but have a read mythfolk

love and harmony
Whateva

Whateva69
I knew if i could get people to look at this thread they would get hooked on old Gef just like have for many years..
There is allot of info on Gef on the Internet even Fate magazine did an article on him years back
peace,sugarcookie1

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by sylvie
That was most certainly not an animal but some entity having himself a bit of "fun" with the family. Sounds like what Christians would call a "demonic entity" and what I would call a "djinn."

Quotes from the video:

- "I am a ghost in the form of a weasel, and I'll haunt you."

- "You don't know what mischief I could do if I was roused. I could kill you, too, if I wished, but I won't."

- "If you knew what I know, you'd know a hell of a lot."

- "I am a freak, and if you saw me you'd faint; you'd be petrified, mummified, you'd turn into stone or a pillar of salt."

- "I am the fifth dimension; I am the eighth wonder of the world, I can split the atom."

Just a mongoose, huh? Yeah, really pleasant little fella.

sylvie
I never looked at Gef as a "demonic entity"..I think he was very real and an animal the reason why is he ate real food like biscuits and bananas and other different food plus he urinated like other animals they also got foot prints from him ..
Gef to me could go in allot of different category's from folk lore to paranormal to even cryptology but in my mind i believe Gef was a real animal that did all these things i would loved to have had Gef as a pet..peace,sugarcookie1

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Coelacanth
reply to post by sylvie

Yes the fact that he identifies with a mongoose and yet claims to be all of those things is interesting.
Could it be symbolic of somthing?
When I think of a mongoose I think of a slippery little weasel-type creature. Then I think, well when we call humans "weasels" we associate the idea of a greasy, sneaky little theif.

OP said he likes to spy on the townsfolk. Maybe thats why he calls himself a mongoose?

. . .or maybe I'm grasping at straws.

Coelacanth
He identifies with a mongoose because he was a mongoose

I think he said all the things he did to keep the family sacred of him so they wouldn't try to catch him after all he did say he was a (extra clever mongoose ) thanks for posting,sugarcookie1

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 02:00 PM
link   
I think this is sad i write about my fondest childhood memory the story of Gef the talking mongoose..
And i bet allot of the readers never knew about Gef ..And what really sad is i only get 1 star and a flag bet Gef would be hurt and have something to say if he was alive today..
Come on ATS Gef is a icon to the paranormal one that has lasted for many many years..peace,sugarcookie1

CX

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 02:05 PM
link   
I remember Gef!!!

I'm 40 now, and i grew up on books by Arthur C Clarke and other authors that dealt with the mysterious world.

I can't remember which book it was, but i had one that had this story in it, and i also remember there being a picture of Gef sticking his paw round a beam in the barn or something like that.

Fascinating story whatever the real facts are.

Thanks for the memories.

CX.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by CX
I remember Gef!!!

I'm 40 now, and i grew up on books by Arthur C Clarke and other authors that dealt with the mysterious world.

I can't remember which book it was, but i had one that had this story in it, and i also remember there being a picture of Gef sticking his paw round a beam in the barn or something like that.

Fascinating story whatever the real facts are.

Thanks for the memories.

CX.

CX
Thanks for posting
I remember the picture of Gef sticking his paw round a beam in the barn that was a long time ago!
Gef is a fascinating story one i just love..I think Ive read almost everything about Gef there was ever written he is captivating..peace,sugarcookie1

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Hear is some reasons i think that Gef was a real mongoose:

Gef is said to take food from the Irvings, though his diet is certainly more luxurious than nourishing.

He urinates and others have been shown signs of this on the wall of the house

He had been touched and felt by the members of the Irving family though not by anyone else.

His teeth have once drawn blood Mrs. Irving’s finger in spite of which, however, she has persisted in feeling his teeth again on several occasions since then

Gef has displayed animosity against visitors with whom he was displeased , by spitting upon them; he has also, more playfully, thrown stones, sand, pins, and other objects at the backs of members of the Irving family and at visitors.

I think Gef was a mongoose or a similar animal that learned to talk. There have been other remarkable creatures. The Elberfeld horses could draw cube roots and communicate thoughts by tapping with their hoofs. Dogs have been taught to read and spell. Birds can speak.

So why why not Gef!

edit on 16-5-2012 by sugarcookie1 because: spelling

top topics

<<   2 >>

join