It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quake downs walls, cuts power in northern Chile

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 08:51 PM
link   

SANTIAGO, Chile — An earthquake has shaken down walls and knocked out electricity in parts of far-northern Chile. No injuries have been reported, though. The U.S. Geological Survey calculates the magnitude as 6.2 and says it was centered about 41 miles (66 kilometers) east-northeast of Tacna, Peru. It occurred at 6 a.m. local time (6 a.m. EDT; 1000 GMT) Tarapaca region Gov. Jose Durana says "walls have fallen in some sectors" some roads were cut off. Many people in the northern town of Arica fled into the streets as the shaking started.

CBS News

Seems we have some more rumblings from south of the equator.

Cheers - Dave
edit on 5/14.2012 by bobs_uruncle because: (no reason given)

ETA: Wrong forum, mods feel free to move an all that ;-)
edit on 5/14.2012 by bobs_uruncle because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 09:46 PM
link   
S&F
Thanks for posting this. I really don't have much to add, just thought I would give the thread a bump.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 10:12 PM
link   
reply to post by highfreq

I tend to think that the trending for earthquakes has always been there. There are rises and falls in activity as plate tectonics meet their stress points. But there does seem to be an increase in serious tectonic activity. Maybe it is partially seen that way due to the way information moves across the internet, everything is right at our fingertips. One thing I have noticed is that common stressor points usually repeat after one or two earthquakes in other locations. Chile is a good example and so is Japan. I expect another big one in Japan within the next couple of weeks, I could be wrong, but it seems the trend and the other one that concerns me is the Cascades. It's unlikely Japan and the Cascades could go at the same time, but I think if one doesn't the other will. But who knows, earthquake "science" seems almost like predicting the weather LOL. Trust your dog or horses, I am quite sure they know better than us mere mortals.

Cheers - Dave

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 01:20 AM
link   
reply to post by bobs_uruncle

Hi Dave,
Reading your post gave me a feeling of same. I'm not physic or anything. However what you say, in my mind makes a bit of sense. I just watch the plates move and I get a little giddy when things get quite small and nothing happens. I guess waiting for something big to happen. Kinda like a movie on the screen.
Understanding the science of geologly doesn't make that feeling go away. It just makes it more exciting. I am just a newby learner. I can't imagine what it's likes to know so much and to then see things happen. It must be better than sex.

I have also done some reading in the animal reactions. This too is a very interesting study. Look into the New Madid animal behavior.
edit on 15-5-2012 by crappiekat because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 01:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by crappiekat

Hi Dave,
Reading your post gave me a feeling of same. I'm not physic or anything. However what you say, in my mind makes a bit of sense. I just watch the plates move and I get a little giddy when things get quite small and nothing happens. I guess waiting for something big to happen. Kinda like a movie on the screen.
Understanding the science of geologly doesn't make that feeling go away. It just makes it more exciting. I am just a newby learner. I can't imagine what it's likes to know so much and to then see things happen. It must be better than sex.

I have also done some reading in the animal reactions. This too is a very interesting study. Look into the New Madid animal behavior.

I don't know a lot about geology, but I do know about statistics and probabilities and how things should work (I guess it's the engineering and physics background). I look at the situation and some of the theories the scientific community are dismissing, like earth expansion and it just seems that tectonic plate movements are a natural result of expansion. But the earth expansion theory does have its problems, like subduction zones. If the earth is expanding, then there should not be plates driving under other plates, everything should be pulling apart and sealing the gaps with fresh magma. But there could be twisting of plates caused by drag I suppose, that might throw one plate under other. Who knows, I doubt the geologists know or they're not telling LOL. Here's a video on the expanding earth theory (que scary music)...

Btw, there are few things better than great sex and quite a few better than bad sex, but then I am old and probably not remembering properly LOL

Cheers - Dave
edit on 5/15.2012 by bobs_uruncle because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 03:28 AM
link   

Well OK. Cheers to you Dave. I really know nothing about expanding earth. But my feeling are it is nonsense. We are able to locate everthing within our atmotphere.are you saying there is a conspirisy amounst everyone that GPS or just our latitudes and longistudes are a farse?
I mean no disrepect, but I really do not understand some of the theory. I'm into the earthquake thing. and I really try to understand the earth as it moves. And as it grows.

Boy wouldn't be fun for us to be in a geologly class. I can just imagine my teacher. She would freak out

By the way I respect what your saying.
gotta say I'm not sure the last time I have been up this late. Boy do you guys fuss with each other. Is it the drink?

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 09:42 AM
link   
reply to post by crappiekat

well, expanding earth makes sense. i'm not going to say i fully believe it but i can't say i completely doubt it either. apparently the scientific community finds there's no evidence in support of it but there is also no evidence against it........ which leaves it as a plausible theory. it seems to be labeled as a conspiracy theory though...

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by crappiekat

Hey, there's one person that constantly goes on about how the Earth is hollow and that's where the advanced civilization is located and where all the flying saucers come from LOL. Takes a lot of types to make a world and everyone has a theory or somebody else's. Just because a theory isn't popular does not mean that it isn't correct, partially correct or has some validity. But then, I can play either side of almost anything.

I find the expanding earth concept interesting, it does explain things like elongated striations on the Pacific Ocean floor. It does not explain subduction zones adequately. But then conventional geology does not explain the large striations on the ocean floor adequately. So who knows? It's interesting however to examine what other people think and how much trouble they will go to, to get their point across.

BTW, I don't know if it's "the drink" for other people, but I rarely drink, I am just a night owl.

Cheers - Dave

top topics

join