It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Min Min Lights Explained?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2003 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Some locals ascribed the nocturnal illuminations to UFOs, while others blamed swarms of fireflies or glow-worms. Some even swore they were caused by luminous vegetation eaten by birds.

Now a scientist has gone and spoiled all the fun, finding a perfectly rational explanation. John Pettigrew, a professor of neuroscience at Queensland University, has discovered that the eerie lights are caused by atmospheric refraction that occurs when cold air is trapped below warmer air � when a cool night follows a hot winter's day, for instance.

Click Here

Doesnt cold air naturally sit under warm air? I would not say cold air gets trapped under warm air. Maybe he means a temperature inversion of warm air under cold air. Hell, I could have come up with this explanation, the US Air Force has used it for 50+ years to explain alot of ufo sightings. I also notice how conveniently car head lights and bush fires are used to explain the sightings that have been reported for thousands of years. But maybe he is right... what the hell do I know? Although, if he had said the lights were caused by piezoelectric forces within the earth I might be more inclined to believe his "explanation". Whatever...

posted on Apr, 21 2003 @ 10:48 AM
link   
I'll have to look it up. My brain's sorta fuzzy right now.

This may account for other famous ghost lights such as the Marfa Lights here in Texas. They're frequently seen, but hard to research. We went out there but didn't see them on the night that we were there. There's been some research on them, but not a concerted effort to find out what they are.

[Edited on 21-4-2003 by Byrd]

join