It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TRUE world’s longest-running experiment !

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 08:19 PM
link   
Hi, science fans.

Here is the real OLD thing ! !: B-)

From 2011:
newsfeed.time.com...

From 2010:
www.dailymail.co.uk...

2012 ?
www.centennialbulb.org...

And after that, the B4$T4RD$ invented "programmed obsolescence", and they
agreed to make them not last more then 1000-1500 hours ! !

Built-in obsolescence. . .This principle currently applies both to novel products using new
technology such as computers, MP3 players, phones and printers; but also to more traditional
goods like women’s tights, light bulbs, cars, refrigerators or vacuum cleaners. . .

www.theprisma.co.uk...

www.apfelkraut.org...

For more on the subject :
ixquick.com...

BLue skies.

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Damn you Thomas Edison!
You with your junky light bulbs and dangerous direct current.

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 08:58 PM
link   
This has been covered a number of times. And while there is planned obsolescence in real life, this is hardly something you would want in your house. As they lack the functionality of modern bulbs...

Here you go, you can buy them here.

Even though they are being suppressed and all...

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 09:14 PM
link   
dude seriously? it gives off light..that IS its function
everything else from light that turn off themselves to changing colors are all options..
the lightbulb has changed in almost every other way except..its function is still remains to give off light.

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Hi boncho and all !

! WOW !
I did not know they still do CARBON filament ?? ! !

I knew about tungsten. . . but CARBON ??!! Cool ! !

Blue skies.

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 07:07 PM
link   
reply to post by C-JEAN

I think Carbon has less resistance when the temperature increases, so an increase in voltage will mean a decrease in resistance and the filament will not get hotter, making it more stable.

Making lamps (or other simple things like that) that last much longer than usual is easy, you just have to design it as if it was to work at a much higher temperature/power than it will be used.

I know because that's what we did in electricity classes when I was in school, a long time ago (although not as long as that bulb's life
).

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Why stop at the example of this light bulb though? You want a more interesting and complicated example of something that has kept going??

www.worldcarfans.com...

This obscure vehicle (of which I had never even heard until researching my reply to this thread) was first turned over in 1884. It still works, and I am willing to bet that it is easier to self service than a Mercedes Benz people carrier.

These days we see a car that is older than a couple of decades and we call it vintage, or prehistoric or whatever, but these ancient machines will outlast and outlive the lesser creations of more recent decades, which is down to simply this. Better craftsmanship. I will bet cash money, that in fifty years time, there will be more examples of ancient motor cars still on the road, than there will of the most recent batch of creations, including the Smart Car, the Nissan Cube, and the Toyota IQ, or for that matter the Land Rover discovery.

www.dailymail.co.uk...

The above link will show you why you shouldnt just go out and buy a 3D television because the ad-men tell you to. Detailing the oldest television set in Britain, it explains that there is more to life than staying current.

www.medievalwarfare.info...

And for those of us who make war, or defend innocence (LOL!) for a living, you cannot beat these ancient bits of kit for style, and menace. Plus, with no ammunition to worry about, no jamming, and no bloody windage, thank you very much, its a much less over complicated tool to use. Also it is what I would call a low collateral combat solution, meaning it is much harder to accidentally kill a person with a sword, because generally, one only thrusts or swings one at someone deliberately.

new topics

top topics

join