It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Spetsnaz in London?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 05:53 AM
link   
reply to post by mookid

My word, how pedantic!

Obviously, when I was saying "standard issue", it was within the context of Authorised Firearms Officers, not the average Bobby on the street...

So yes, they are standard issue for units like SO19, but I really didn't think I'd have to be so specific when the context was obvious....

EDIT: If you actually read my first post where I refer to their equipment, I actually say "They are wearing standard issue gear for their role" .. Someone needs to read properly next time...
edit on 11/5/12 by stumason because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 05:57 AM
link   
reply to post by BIHOTZ

To be fair, the Met hasn't announced any redundancies for Officers. In fact, between 2010-2011 their numbers actually rose!

Plus, the Rapier is bought and paid for years ago.

Not really sure what your point was....

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 06:02 AM
link   
Like Mr. Stu said, these are not Spetsnaz operatives.

Just cops, kitted out. If you saw some of the special kit our cops wear, you would think its the apocolypse.

speak really good english, even without an accent (like most of America)

I also find that rather incorrect. Most Americans do have an accent, to anyone not from America. You assume there is no accent, because you are American.

vvv

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 06:12 AM
link   
Spetznaz wear blue and white horizontally stripped sweat shirts, always, to make sure everyone in Russia knows exactly who they are looking at.

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 06:18 AM
link   
This has little to do with the Spetsnaz. But, the militarization of the police should be of concern. to us all. They are the biggest armed gang in the UK.

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 06:42 AM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

There are fewer than 7,000 armed officers in the UK, out of a total force of around 136,000.

Whilst I think there issues with the way the Police operate at times, I do think it is a bit of an overstatement to declare that the Police in the UK are being militarised...

Have you seen the French, German, Spanish or in fact pretty much anywhere else in the worlds Police forces? Many routinely armed, many with a shoot first, ask questions later attitude, quite a significant number open to bribery.....

I think on the whole we should be quite happy most of our Police officers are unarmed and no where near as happy to ruin your day as other countries.

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 07:06 AM
link   
This has nothing to do with Spetsnaz.

The author of the article linked to in the OP clearly states;

dressed up like Russian Spetsnaz commandos

The author is using a simile for literary effect, a common practice amongst writer's of all abilities and standards etc.

We then get the predictable ramble from someone who freely admits to never have been to London and knows little to nothing about the place about this being a prime example of how "London is the true police state".

Of course there are police officers stationed in London trained to deal with siege situations like this officer was doing.
What nation or major city wouldn't have nowadays?
And of course they will have the necessary equipment to do their jobs.
What is so surprising about that?

But the vast majority of police officers in the UK are not armed with any type of firearm etc.

This thread is much ado about nothing, like so much on ATS nowadays, and only serves to show the ignorance and lack of reading ability of far too many.

edit on 11/5/12 by Freeborn because: grammar and clarity

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 07:37 AM
link   
OP, Why bother posting this it should be in the Hoax bin you clearly state that in the title that Spetsnaz are on the streets of London yet your links do not back up what you are saying. Really why bother posting this!

The UK has AFO’s would you not be more worried if we didn’t have any armed presence at the Olympics, which is probably presenting the biggest security challenge in recent sporting history with the possible exception of USA vs England at the last world cup.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join