It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Radiation Ruled Out After Alarms Sound at Goddard

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Radiation Ruled Out After Alarms Sound at Goddardl

www.nbcwashington.com

Multiple radiation alarms are being investigated at NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Md.

But radiation was later ruled out as a cause.

A smoke alarm in the radiation lab apparently caused the radiation alarms to sound, according to Prince George's County Fire. The smoke alarm is under investigation. No smoke is visible.

Firefighters stood by while NASA officials and Prince George's County hazmat teams discussed the course of action.
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 10-5-2012 by stanguilles7 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 10:23 PM
link   
I'm sure more will come out on this in a bit, But I just noticed that about 15 minutes ago @NBCwashington tweeted that there were radiation alarms triggered at Goddard. Now they are saying a fire alarm triggered them, but no smoke is present?

Is this a weird glitch, or an elaborate cover up?

www.nbcwashington.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 10:37 PM
link   
Neither radiation nor smoke...
SWAMP GAS.

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 10:44 PM
link   
reply to post by stanguilles7

Very interesting! If it is radiation you think they would tell the truth? I can see it now, they have their experts airbrushing out all the smoke alarms from any videos taken. Smoke Alarms? What Smoke Alarms!

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 10:48 PM
link   
reply to post by PMNOrlando

Yeah, it may very well be nothing. I just thought it was interesting that they say the smoke alarms triggered the radiation alarms, but point out no smoke was present.

I suppose it could easily be an electrical glitch.

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 10:52 PM
link   
I must apologize but I'm going to say it before it gets posted anyway.

It's Fukushima radiation registering on their sensors and is a big cover up.

LOL There i said it! even though i know its a wild goose chase. A conspiracy where there is none.

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 10:58 PM
link   
You know radioactive isotopes have been in use in smoke detectors for a long time.
Is it enough to trigger an alarm? At what distance?

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 11:02 PM
link   

It could very well be just the smoke detector that caused this. According to the EPA: Ionization chamber smoke detectors have small amounts of radiation in them.

Smoke detectors and alarms are important home safety devices. Ionization chamber and photoelectric smoke detectors are the two most common types available commercially. Because these pages are most concerned with radiation protection, we will focus mainly on the ionization chamber technology. Ionization chamber smoke detectors contain a small amount of radioactive material encapsulated in a metal chamber. They take advantage of the ions created by ionizing radiation to develop a low, but steady electrical current. Smoke particles entering the chamber disrupt the current and trigger the detector's alarm. Ionization chamber detectors react more quickly to fast flaming fires that give off little smoke.

US EPA Smoke Detectors & Radiation
edit on 10-5-2012 by TheLieWeLive because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 11:19 PM
link   
reply to post by TheLieWeLive

Good point.

Probably normal.

Hysteria averted!

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 11:30 PM
link   
But, they've been there for how long? why only set off now?
I smell something fishy.. is it smoke or radiation?

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 11:42 PM
link   
reply to post by TheLieWeLive

I really don't think this would be enough to set off a radiation detector. If that was the case, wouldn't the radiation detectors be detecting this all along?

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 02:05 AM
link   
Lol. Maybe a secret or alien communication from outer space

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 02:08 AM
link   

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 02:13 AM
link   
Hmmmm... They say a smoke alarm that didnt detect any smoke, alerted all the radiation detectors that didn't detect any radiation....

Never a straight answer indeed..

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 02:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheLieWeLive

It could very well be just the smoke detector that caused this. According to the EPA: Ionization chamber smoke detectors have small amounts of radiation in them.

Smoke detectors and alarms are important home safety devices. Ionization chamber and photoelectric smoke detectors are the two most common types available commercially. Because these pages are most concerned with radiation protection, we will focus mainly on the ionization chamber technology. Ionization chamber smoke detectors contain a small amount of radioactive material encapsulated in a metal chamber. They take advantage of the ions created by ionizing radiation to develop a low, but steady electrical current. Smoke particles entering the chamber disrupt the current and trigger the detector's alarm. Ionization chamber detectors react more quickly to fast flaming fires that give off little smoke.

US EPA Smoke Detectors & Radiation
edit on 10-5-2012 by TheLieWeLive because: (no reason given)

and also if more radiation from fukushima enters than that current will go up as ionization increases....

definite cover up.

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by PMNOrlando

Very interesting! If it is radiation you think they would tell the truth? I can see it now, they have their experts airbrushing out all the smoke alarms from any videos taken. Smoke Alarms? What Smoke Alarms!

No they wouldn't. That would covered up immediately. That would be a risk to all the communities around too.

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Alarms are designed to "alarm." Smoke detectors have been collocated with radiation detectors for decades.

If we are going the conspiracy route I would be inclined to expect that someone was moving an ionizing source of radiant energy where there was supposed to be none.

And this, of course, is something the public is never to be told.

Because the public would then panic and eat the politicians.

There... conspiracy proposed.

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 12:20 PM
link   
I've got 61 uHr/hr here....radiation is oddly higher than normal.

There's no way a smoke detector will set off a geiger counter unless you rip the smoke detector apart and put the little radioactive piece pretty close to your geiger counter. The Alpha radiation is blocked by the smoke detector case/shielding. It's not much of a Gamma Radiation source.

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Does anyone know what type of radiation these alarms detect?

Is it any type of ionising radiation?

If so, then there is a source right in front of the sun-a stellar mass black hole.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 10:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

Interesting theory.

I guess we'll never know.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join