It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tobacco companies add $15 million to fight cigarette tax (California Prop 29 news)

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 08:51 PM
link   
reply to post by kawika

this is the ignorance smokers in California have to put up with,a bunch of tree hugging fools,gee the exaughst of vehicles and factorys couldn't have such an effect? no wonder Calif is going broke,too many fools moved here

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 12:00 AM
link   
If this gets tax then Alcohol will get tax then there is no way to stop it.

Enjoy spending 10 dollars more on something that used to cost you half.

You might have to resort to tobacco pouches

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 08:45 PM
link   
www.kfiam640.com...?feed =452967&article=10078863

John and Kens voter guide from KFI radio Los Angeles

PROPOSITION 28
Reduces the total amount of time a person may serve in the state legislature from 14 years to 12 years. Allows a person to serve a total of 12 years either in the Assembly, the Senate, or a combination of both. Applies only to legislators first elected after the measure is passed. Provides that legislators elected before the measure is passed continue to be subject to existing term limits. Summary of estimate by Legislative Analyst and Director of Finance of fiscal impact on state and local government: No direct fiscal effect on state or local governments.
JOHN AND KEN VOTE: NO
“Twelve years in a row in the Assembly or Senate is too long. It's more time to be bought and paid for by the lobbyists and unions.”
------------------------------------------------------
PROPOSITION 29
Imposes additional five cent tax on each cigarette distributed ($1.00 per pack), and an equivalent tax increase on other tobacco products, to fund cancer research and other specified purposes. Requires tax revenues be deposited into a special fund to finance research and research facilities focused on detecting, preventing, treating, and curing cancer, heart disease, emphysema, and other tobacco-related diseases, and to finance prevention programs. Creates nine-member committee charged with administering the fund. Summary of estimate by Legislative Analyst and Director of Finance of fiscal impact on state and local government: Increase in new cigarette tax revenues of about $855 million annually by 2011- 12, declining slightly annually thereafter, for various health research and tobacco-related programs. Increase of about $45 million annually to existing health, natural resources, and research programs funded by existing tobacco taxes. Increase in state and local sales taxes of about $32 million annually.
JOHN AND KEN VOTE: NO
“We don't smoke, but they take enough tax money and this one sets up another state entity to be used as a landing spot for the friends of the political hacks.”
US SENATE RACE
24 candidates. The top 2 face off in November.
JOHN AND KEN VOTE: ORLY TAITZ
“She's great entertainment!”
LA COUNTY DISTICT ATTORNEY
JOHN AND KEN SAY: JACKIE LACEY
"She has the experience and endorsement of current DA Steve Cooley. But remember, ABC! ANYBODY BUT CARMEN!"
IF YOU LIVE IN FULLERTON
JOHN AND KEN SAY: RECALL MAYOR F. DICK JONES, COUNCILMAN F. PAT MCKINLEY, and F. DON BANKHEAD
"This has to be done!"

Read more: www.kfiam640.com...?feed=452967&article=10078863#ixzz1wyPXLF6e

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 08:48 PM
link   
Handel's Voter Guide

www.kfiam640.com...?feed =452967&article=10078860

You're A Loser If You Vote How I Tell You To Vote.

PROPOSITION 28
Reduces the total amount of time a person may serve in the state legislature from 14 years to 12 years. Allows a person to serve a total of 12 years either in the Assembly, the Senate, or a combination of both. Applies only to legislators first elected after the measure is passed. Provides that legislators elected before the measure is passed continue to be subject to existing term limits. Summary of estimate by Legislative Analyst and Director of Finance of fiscal impact on state and local government: No direct fiscal effect on state or local governments.
HANDEL VOTES: 'JUST PICK ONE'
"I don't care one way or the other how you or I vote on this one. Just pick one."
PROPOSITION 29
Imposes additional five cent tax on each cigarette distributed ($1.00 per pack), and an equivalent tax increase on other tobacco products, to fund cancer research and other specified purposes. Requires tax revenues be deposited into a special fund to finance research and research facilities focused on detecting, preventing, treating, and curing cancer, heart disease, emphysema, and other tobacco-related diseases, and to finance prevention programs. Creates nine-member committee charged with administering the fund. Summary of estimate by Legislative Analyst and Director of Finance of fiscal impact on state and local government: Increase in new cigarette tax revenues of about $855 million annually by 2011- 12, declining slightly annually thereafter, for various health research and tobacco-related programs. Increase of about $45 million annually to existing health, natural resources, and research programs funded by existing tobacco taxes. Increase in state and local sales taxes of about $32 million annually.
HANDEL VOTES: YES
"I totally changed my mind. I'm voting YES. Even though I hate raising taxes per se, it simply has to do with my tax dollars and my insurance dollars. As long as smokers cost me what they've been costing me, I'm fine with taxing them into oblivion, much like I'm ok with taxing gasoline nto oblivion because I don't want to pay those arab bastards for the oil and high taxes reduce consumption. Because cigarettes have absolutely no redeeming social value other than smokers somehow getting an addictive high off of them, they cost me, a nonsmoker, money by them having to go into the hospital with lung cancer and heart disaease and other illnesses. We either end up spending direct tax dollars or higher insurance premiums for it and I just don't want to pay for it anymore."
US SENATE RACE
24 candidates. If none gets 50% plus one vote, the top two meet in November.
HANDEL VOTES: DIRK ALLEN KONOPIK
"After careful consideration and research, I have decided I am going to vote for Dirk Allen Konopik. Not only do I like the name 'Dirk' I find his candidate statement to be the most compelling and logical one out there. I will quote his statement "Christian, Veteran, American. NRA, VFW, American Legion. Will stand boldly for Christ."

Read more: www.kfiam640.com...?feed=452967&article=10078860#ixzz1wyQB3r2t

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Why is it that smoking = endless revenue base? While the habit isn't the best thing ever, it is not much worse then a soda with zero calories and its chemical content for the effects on health. Taking the health issue away altogether, keeping it out of any argument - why should smokes be an endless source of revenue for the government? Why should booze, regardless of the things we can tangentially attribute to it, be a source of revenue for the government? Why don't we do it to tea? Why don't we keep taxing tea at higher and higher rates?

The huge problem here is taxing at these sky high rates, and increased awareness of the health issues, means less smoking which means less revenue which means increases in taxes to make up for the lost revenue created by the decrease in smoking due to the last increase in taxes. My god, these people just can't be this stupid - can they? There is a limited amount of milk you can get from the cow, no amount of beating it to death is going to give you more, ergo, there is only so much fiat currency you can from the slaves because there is a LIMITED SUPPLY of fiat currency - that is by design. These folks can't be this stupid...

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 09:45 PM
link   
reply to post by crankyoldman

My god, these people just can't be this stupid - can they?

Yup, they are...

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join