It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can We Stop With The Fear-Mongering "End of the World" Troll Threads?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 04:12 PM
link   
This is an issue which in my opinion, and the opinion of others on ATS given some of the responses in threads I've seen, is turning into a problem. I can understand the occasional "prophecy" or "prediction" threads based on facts, or research. Talking about possible 2012 scenarios while tying in ancient civilizations and their prophecies is worth discussing. Same as discussing the predictions of someone like Nostradamus. Yet, we're seeing these threads going into a completely different direction; fear-mongering.

We are seeing numerous threads posted with no real purpose other than possible trolling, and appear to be meant to invoke a reaction based on fear. What is to be gained by constantly posting threads about civilization being wiped off the face of the earth on a certain date, or the West Coast will plunge into the ocean on a given date, other than invoking a fear-mongering reaction from forum members?

Increasingly, these threads lack research, lack sources, and/or lack original thought. They regularly appear to be the same "end of the world" nonsense, regurgitating the same scenarios, with just a slight twist in the presentation by the author.

We all know how many of these predictions actually come to fruition. Yet, we also know how much these threads necessitate fear. It would take little to no effort for me to sit here and fabricate a thread titled "End of the World-Ides of March, 2013" and pretend to present it in a message I received in some prophetic dream I had. It will stir up fear, it will invoke emotion, it will cause worry, and it will get countless Stars and Flags. Yet, few positives will result from it, and while I'm basking in my "15 minutes of ATS fame", I will also be drawing attention away from more pressing, tangible problems backed by evidence, actually effecting each and every one of us.

Maybe because I live on the West Coast, and have many family and friends up and down both coasts, it rubs me the wrong way moreso than it does others. It gets tiring, and repetitive, seeing thread after thread pop up telling me California will slide into the ocean during an upcoming earthquake, based solely on someones dream. This is one scenario of many which has been presented, ad nauseum.

Is there a solution? I don't know. Simple use of the search button would show many of these scenarios have been talked to death, and if someone has something to add, simply reply in one of those threads. But instead we seem to be having a prophecy type competition, where people simply alter another's failed prophecy to make it appear original, and basically are throwing poop at a wall and hoping it sticks, with the goal of receiving some Nostradamus type praise. Yet, what is there to gain? Why keep endlessly predicting the end of man kind and the deaths of many? In order to be correct in these prophecies, many will have to die.

Seems callous. Seems cold. Seems unnecessary, as the emotions of others are toyed with.

Respectfully,

Mystic Pearl

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 04:16 PM
link   
In reguards to the fear mongering, remember one thing....where there's smoke there is fire.

It may not be happening today, but something is going to happen. You can feel it.

I'm on e west coast myself. I just take each thread about impending doom out here with a grain of salt. Doesn't mean people aren't entitled to their opinions.

edit on 10-5-2012 by amongus because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by MysticPearl

A troll lives under a bridge and scares people. I think you mean trolling. It is a fishing term used on the internet referring to people who troll for a reaction. Now you know my pet peve. If we did not have the end of the world types this site would be boring. They could just as easily scold you for your "the world is not ending" thread. You got your theory, they have theirs, no sweat off your back.

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   
What is ATS if not for speculation about such topics?

I notice a pitch to turn ATS into switched on positivity, it sometime reads like an Oprah network forum.

Let people speculate, and theorise.

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 04:22 PM
link   

I agree with your post to an extent, but after being here for about five years, IMO it's just a normal part of ATS.

Sometimes there's more, and sometimes there's less of them, but overall on a conspiracy site of the size and popularity of ATS, it's got to be expected.

The staff does a pretty good job of keeping the blatant trollers shut up. If there's any suggestion I can make it would be to try the forum filter... I know it's not ideal to nix a whole forum just because of a few stupid threads but it's a start. Maybe try not clicking the doom threads?

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Instead of demanding that people stop posting "DOOM" threads, making the mods have to work that much harder, it's actually a lot easier if you simply don't click on the thread.

No one forced you to come to ATS. No one forced you to click on a thread, and no one forced you to read it / look at that pic or watch that video.

Much easier to censor yourself, than to have the mods do it for you.

Besides: I find those threads quite entertaining and interesting. Interesting in that it always amazes me how many people jump on the band wagon with the OP of those threads.

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 04:41 PM
link   
I enjoy reading those threads. Don't take them seriously but still I like them.

ATS will not sensor the threads due to our glorious right to free speech. So my advice to you is just don't click on them.

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 04:48 PM
link   
I like those threads. I think the world is going to hell in a handbasket, and that inevitably something bad will occur to me and my own and then I will have to survive it. I don't get scared by these threads you refer to, I decide if there is any value in them or sometimes they are just a place for like-minded to chat about this stuff.

Don't click if you are not interested. I avoid plenty of topics on ATS.

edit on 10-5-2012 by SunnyDee because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 04:53 PM
link   
It wouldn't be ATS without them. Gotta' allow 'em. Gotta' have 'em.
'else .. what fun would we all be having?

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Here is a very novel idea, I cant believe I just now thought of it... When I see a thread title that I dont have any interest in or find annoying, I will just ignore it. Problem solved.

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Can We Stop With The Fear-Mongering "End of the World" Troll Threads?

Naaahhh! They're too much fun!

If you don't like 'em, don't read 'em.

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by MysticPearl
Yet, we're seeing these threads going into a completely different direction; fear-mongering.

I completely agree. While I'll be the first to say there are some weird things going on, and things are certainly changing, all this conjecture about how the sun is going to burn us into fries and how radiation is going to turn us all into hideous beasts is starting to verge on the absurd.
edit on 10-5-2012 by SpeakerofTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 06:54 PM
link   

A few things need to be pointed out here...

1. This is Above Top Secret. This is THE PLACE where all the mixed nuts come together with their paranoia talk. You could say that this place was created FOR the End-of-the-Worlders.

2. Now more than ever, it's expected. Remember, it's 2012! Mayan Prophecy! I mean, get with the program, what did you expect? Y2K is past. 2012 is here!

3. If they're right, 7 months from now it'll no longer exist and neither will any of us. Enjoy!

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Well , We Are ALL gonna Die.......................Someday......Some Sooner than they Think..........................................Say La Vee...........

i297.photobucket.com...

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 07:00 PM
link   
End of the world threads are as natural to humanity as eating bread, and fruit.......... I dare say that "fear mongering" is wrongful terminology, it is embedded in the human conspicuousness for all eternity and has been a fabric of civilization since the birth of man. If you are not down with Doomers than you are not down with the pivtol change to come and are in a denial, either a real grand huge shift in the world or some minor shift such as a new age, either in technology, thought, bank, etc

The average doomers are normal people, stripped down from their essential insane crazy babble of doom and gloom, you will see a person bared bone of self humility (making himself look like a fool) trying to change people, or awareness (for the greater good) in fear of the lives of all humanity (either grand or small) The average doome is more concern with others than themselves and essentially leaves thereselves behind to grab the attention of others. They look at social issues, change and nonoccurrence.
edit on 10-5-2012 by Jordan River because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 07:03 PM
link   

MysticPearl,

Unfortunately when you have come here often enough you start to realize that it is simply the necessary evil of being in the information business. Information doesn't always have to be "sourced" or "accurate" to have value. I know that sounds ridiculous but think of it this way, if you know what's incredulous or impossible, that tends to shed a brighter light on the credible or possible.

AB1

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 07:09 PM
link   

This is ATS...where we'll die tomorrow...no, scratch that...next week...no, scratch that too...next month...

I found out a long time ago that I highly dislike religious threads...so I avoid them.

Problem solved.

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 07:10 PM
link   

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 09:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Jordan River

You surprised me. That's a good assessment.

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 09:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpeakerofTruth
reply to post by Jordan River

You surprised me. That's a good assessment.

come again> i have a thread about it

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join