It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Am I sick? I spend most of my waking life in my own private fantasies....

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 05:32 AM
link   
well it sounds like you have a great imagination. I would say you are just not focussing it on any real tangible outcome in reality. If you could focus that imagination on something that the mind can believe you would be one step closer to achieving what you desire.

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 06:55 AM
link   
OP you are simply a natural writer, i have done this since before i can remember and one of my favorite fantasies involve me as commander type figure in a secret organization of psychics in an inter-system war against colonists led by a religious fanatic named emperor zhan. what will really get your gears going is when you think of your fantasy attempt to make the main character somebody other than you, for me this was very hard at first but the fantasy is much more easily constructed when you take your personal perception out of the picture, this worked for me anyway, and jotting it on paper, tricking nerds at GLP is also fun.

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 07:08 AM
link   
Sounds to me like you just have a knack for creativity, nothing wrong with that.

Problem is, our real lives can be boring, and as such, we imagine fantasies like this. I mean, who doesn't want to be the superhero, or the chosen one at the end of the day?

Writing to me is as much personal experience as it is fantasy or creation, and anyone who has written something before will tell you the personal stories, even the ones that are dramaticized or stretched for truth are sometimes the best written, because their basis is in fact.

I quite often entertain myself in the course of a day by writing out in my head what is going on around me, as both an exercise in my writing skills, and to see if I can pick up something out of the ordinary that will give me the next great flash of inspiration to put into words. You'd be surprised how often it works.

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Have you a job? Kids? You spend an inordinate amount of time on your "other" lives. Im wondering how much time you devote...as in supporting, making $$$, and participating in your "real" life?

It seems WAY out of balance if youre living IN these other lives...and avoiding dealing with your REAL one.

Just askin. And yes...if thats the case...you could very well be sick as in emotionally detached from the "real" world.

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 09:58 AM
link   
It's those who dream that can show us what a better place the world can be.

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 10:07 AM
link   
reply to post by tovenar

You're obviously a writer, whether you know it or not. Just do it already, and then at least you could avoid some flack from the wife!

You don't think writers do the same exact thing?

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Ah, so I'm not alone! There is nothing wrong whatsoever with imagining things (I would say that since I have the same dilemma). I agree with others here who suggest you put it into paper. I myself imagine myself in situations, some real and very possible, and others that may never happen, but its fun to just wonder what it would be like. For instance, what if we really did get to a SHTF scenario in America? How would I respond? There are other times in which I read an interesting argument in ATS or somewhere else, and I imagine how I would respond, and that helps me put together arguments.

Life just gets pretty mundane and boring once you have to work and pay bills. I know little to nothing about living off the grid, but to be able to live without having to be in the rat race would be a dream, and I could devote more time to my own pursuits, assuming that I won't have to spend my whole day farming.

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 10:30 PM
link   
Reminds me of something I read back in high school.

The Secret Life Of Walter Mitty

Loved it.

I haven't watched the movie, I'll have to.

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 05:20 AM
link   
I wish we were friends. You sound like one of the good ones.

What you have is the dying art of creativity and imagination. I think it's excellent you're able to do this in such clarity and detail. Before the dawn of computers and video gaming, I used to spend a great deal of time in my own imaginings. Never to the awesome extent you're capable of, (well, maybe close at times) and generally it would be stories of fictional people rather than myself. Sadly, with the advent of "Second Life" types of gaming out now, (although I don't play that) my imagination is channeled into the already-designed game (such as Sims) and this forces limits into the fantasies in a way. I think that although the wonders of technology are increasing at insane rates, it's also taking away at least a part of our innate sense of imagination.

I don't believe you have taken your fantasies to ridiculous proportions and obsession levels. If you did, you probably never would have been able to hold a job, marry, be a father, etc. I think there are some that lose themselves too much in similar fantastical creations and sadly end up in little cushioned rooms, unable to deal with day-to-day life when there is greatness within. You are not one of them.

What you have, is a gift. If you can focus it into stories - if you even want to do that - there are books to be written yet. Hold onto these inner travels - I think it's beautiful.
edit on 12-5-2012 by gottaknow because: grammatical

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 05:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by tovenar
Some of my secret lives:

-King of a medieval kingdom. I have detailed maps of my state's geography, populations, mineral resources, and defensive structures. I've written out treaties I've made with neighboring states. I have maps of cities I've beseiged in a war that lasted for 3 years.

-seaman on an 19th century sailing ship. Not an officer or anything, just a salt of the meanest rank. While the boss is droning on in the company staff meeting, I'm taking a turn at the capstan, or climbing aloft to man the main yard as we catch the wind.

-Director of Research and Development. My rivals in the marketing department are about to be shamed when we finally go into production with our new product line. They'll rue the day they tried to drum me out of the company! My machinations behind the scenes are about to come to fruition....

-shepherd I spend quiet afternoons at my cubicle staring at my screensavers of pastoral landscapes. I imagine droving my flock across the achingly green pastures of England's west country, or the scottich moors, or through the groves of arcadia.

-18th level wizard with a group of assistants and apprentices in my tower located in the deserted madlands. While normal folk shun my lair in the blasted desert, aspiring magicians seek my tutelage; not least because of my skill at transmuting lead into gold.The nations of the world fear my wrath....

So, can I be sane? Does anyone else have such convoluted flights of fancy? Am I completely normal?
edit on 9-5-2012 by tovenar because: emphasis

You are a total loon!

I spend my time on real issues, on things that can change the world. On things like:

1. Going back in time and teaching the first humans how to eat pizza.

2. Singing the songs of today to ancient kings and pharoahs.

3. Going fishing on the ice moons of Jupiter.

4. Developing the mental power to levitate all the nuclear plants into outerspace.

5. Suddenly developing superman powers to catch a UFO and bring it to the center of a major city so that everyone will finally know that aliens do exist.

So, if you are totally insane then I have to ask: I'm in padded cell number 4, which one are you in?

edit on 5/12/2012 by jiggerj because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 04:21 AM
link   
So after reading all available comm's at the time of this writing, so as not to repeat, I can offer this. I had, on first impression of your post, thought that you may be remembering past lives. Quite possible, IMO. Then seeing some of the more recent imaginings, thought you are really an imaginative person. Nothing at all wrong with that by the way. Either way, I will repeat what some have said here. Write these things down. Maybe some good selling short stories, or novellas in there. Keep using your brain no matter what. It is a muscle(?) and when not used enough, will wither and die. Be Good to YourSelf and ALL Others in your Family and Friends Circles, Syx.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join