It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I challenge you to prove me wrong!!!

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Hi all, brand new here.

I think that it's been established that people here, even the media "puppets," are basically free. But since nobody has commented on a difference in happiness between puppets and non-puppets, here I go.

First, people that watch more TV may be likelier to define the word "happiness" in terms of immediate gratification or excitement, whereas people who don't MAY define it as peaceful satisfaction. So I believe it is partly a matter of language influencing thought - the two people would interpret the question differently.

Second, people who watch a lot of TV (assuming this is primarily what is meant by media) have a lot less time to devote to other things, such as finding "true happiness." I'm not saying such a thing does or does not exist. In fact, with the exception of the Dali Lama and a few others, probably no one on earth has ever been close to the thing people call "true happiness."

Have I missed anything?

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 03:55 PM
link   
You ask for opinions on this topic and when people give them all you do is complain about how "society has won" and that your "outside the box" thinking has been silenced. Quit making a martyr out of yourself.

If you want someone to agree with you, post something in the conspiracy forum.
Maybe one day you'll build a following large enough to tackle the great puppeteer.

Well, I better rest, my 90 year-old alzheimer brain is acting up.

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Justmytype

If we weren't free, then the one who doesn't pay much attention to the media wouldn't exist...

Please explain how this person would not exsist? Are you saying if the media does not show this. That it is inconcievable to believe. I beg the differ, because in a sense, this person would be free of all that is dicated to him/her through the media which in turn would allow him/her to live there life freely without any influence of what life should be ie;"The Media".

Just my thoughts

So you just proved YOURSELF wrong

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Rain King
Read what you want to read because evidentally you cant comprehend. Sarcasim is not whining, crying or even being a Martyr. In reality we all can look outside at what is real and what is not, we all can choose this is the path I will take or not. I believe that hole heartedly the media plays a big part on how most people percieve thier lives to be. Yes, we all can choose but if it werent for the media " The United States would not have disfunctional families and lost teenagers wondering how they are going to fit into the status quo of being "Wealthy, Powerful like those potrayed on television, The stress of overwhelming programming of these materialistic and false lives ruin most because they are made to feel as this is what there expectations should be and when they arent met they feel that they have either let themselves down, thier families down etc.. If you dont agree, thats your opinion. "Work in the Social Services Field for a bit and watch and learn what even the most Upper Middle Class citizen in the United States feels are his/her downfalls and then ask yourself this. Who set the bar, that expectation, surely not you or I... The good Old Media did.

Take what I said with a grain of salt, and choose for yourself what you believe. I never asked anyone to follow or even believe what I posted and for the last time.... It was just a thought proccess!!! My thoughts to share, not to debate.

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by daniel191159
I agree with you completely. I feel that only a state of pure nature can give true freedom. Personally, I would love for society to collapse. The world would be better off without modern society.

Doesn't the fact that you wrote this in an online forum strike you as ironic?

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 05:15 PM
link   
You're thought processes have a nasty trend of turning into condescending rantings of how pathetic us "puppets" are.

But I respect your opinion. I see some degree of truth in your theory. I just think you've taken it to too high a level.

We are influenced by our surroundings. I don't believe it is all negative interaction though. I don't watch TV. I don't listen to the radio. I prefer as little corporate influence in my life as possible. I prefer not to have my preferances dished out to me on the commercial platter.

But I do not think that we are 'slaves to our society'. We are what we choose to be. Some people are just happier blaming their problems on society.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join