It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Same-Sex Marriage line is drawn. What do you think?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 08:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Jomina

So can you run for the POTUS? You have a way with words.

Better than anything we have now. What's your platform? I'll write you in.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Taking a traditional religious (biblemonger) stance is taking a sexists stance.

Whenever I write that on ATS, it seems the apparently secularly religious ask how is that sexist.

Go figure. True freedom & equality, or American double-standard oppression - which will it be in the end?

I can picture most all the repressed gay priests, repressed pastors/clergy, and homphobic repressed gays who stuck themselves into straight marriages only to cheat on their wives bigtime like handshakes, all opposed non-sexist marriage indeed.

edit on 9-5-2012 by BiggerPicture because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 09:13 PM
link   
reply to post by BiggerPicture

The repression is a result of the lack of tolerance. That lack has caused a void in the expression of personal preferences. "Closet" cases proliferate, without adequate acceptance.

However, the summary so far is that "bedroom" activities are not the business of the "state" nor the "government", on either level. Constitutionally, it is up to the individual states to decide the issue.

Currently, it's an election issue, and it should not be.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 09:16 PM
link   
here... how about we play this game right...

You and your wife/husband/other are in bed, getting ready to get frisky.

Things are heating up, and you guys are just about to get things really started when...

You happen to glance out the window and see a bunch of people standing there, staring, and talking amongst themselves.

Next, thing you know, they are barging into your house and screaming at you that you are doing things wrong. You are sinners. You are against god, blah blah blah

They start throwing protests in front of your house and shout bible verses at you, make you feel like all you want to do is crawl in the closet and die.

See what's happening there?

Now, flip it, and you know exactly what the other side is going through when it comes to all this crap.

What happens in your bedroom, between yourself, your other, and whoever else might get involved is no ones business but yours. If you are not harming anyone (without a safety word lol) and you are breaking no laws, then why the heck are these people bothering to get involved?

Because they feel it's their business to say yes or no to what happens in your bedroom, in your most SACRED AND SECRET part of your life, that is beyond private.

If people would get their heads out of their butts long enough to see things from the other's angle, you bet things would be different.

Bunch of gossipy old hags sitting around the porch telling others their business is how I see EVERY SINGLE ONE of the posters that have boo to say about the gay marriage issue.

It's ridiculous, and if it were to be reversed, and "hetero" was the abnormal, you'd think a whole new way.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Druid42

I agree with Obama, in fact I agree with his words a lot, it's too bad he seldom backs them up. There should 100% be legal unions afforded to gays and straight people shouldn't be able to dictate otherwise, it's none of our dman business.

good on the president for speaking up. Only in America would protecting the rights of everyone lose you votes.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 09:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Druid42 "Closet" cases proliferate, without adequate acceptance.
However, the summary so far is that "bedroom" activities are not the business of the "state" nor the "government", on either level. Constitutionally, it is up to the individual states to decide the issue.

exactly, so why is it written "man and woman" into the marriage legislation and state and federal level.

im not sure where bedroom falls into play since its not sexuality but sex of the partners that is at issue, as far as what sexes marriage is currently restricted to (man and woman).
edit on 9-5-2012 by BiggerPicture because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 09:31 PM
link   
reply to post by OutKast Searcher

For once, I agree with the outkast searcher. It feels good too. lol

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 09:34 PM
link   
I've said it before, and I'll use this thread to say it again, because it bears repeating. This same sex marriage debate has tragically obfuscated the real question here, which is why should anyone obtain a license to be married? A license, by definition is a grant of privilege that would otherwise be illegal. How is it that anyone has reasonably determined that marriage, regardless of the sex involved, is illegal?

All people have the unalienable and sacred right to marry. No one needs any license to sanctify this marriage.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 09:38 PM
link   
reply to post by macaronicaesar

So OutKast for POTUS now? OMG!

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Druid42

So OutKast for POTUS now? OMG!

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo........

It's one thing to finally agree with him on ONE thing....but, seriously...POTUS....

He and I did agree on this one and only thread......I see there is hope for him yet....

Des
edit on 9-5-2012 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 09:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Jean Paul Zodeaux

Agreed, but I was answering to the topic being discussed and how I find it sickening the way the gay community is treated in this country, you're right though, why do I need a license do this? I'm not sure, another money racket most likely.

God apparently can't handle money very well himself as he is always looking for a handout.
edit on 9-5-2012 by macaronicaesar because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jean Paul Zodeaux

All people have the unalienable and sacred right to marry. No one needs any license to sanctify this marriage.

so we can file married,

jointly?

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 09:44 PM
link   

No one needs any license to sanctify this marriage.

However, without that license, you cannot file taxes jointly, nor can they be added to your health insurance. Your points ring true, but the legal document is required when money is factored into the equation.

This is the better question. Why?

A system gone awry, or one flawed from the beginning?

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Druid42

Not quite, but at least he seems to take the right side of certain issues, I'm not sure why he still buys the obama rhetoric. I think he's just a disheartened voter who feels too ashamed/embarrassed to admit he was duped. Now he has to fight that cause to the end rather than ever admitting to being wrong. His negative obsession with Dr Paul is a little strange too.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 09:45 PM
link   
I think there are far more important issues to be discussed than gay marriage. I think we should focus on issues like continuing to build and fund the prison/military industrial complex. Marriage should be an all or none sort of thing. I don't give a damn what others do in their bedrooms. It doesn't effect me. It doesn't effect society as a whole.

Let me ask you this, if you oppose gay marriage, have you been married? Are you religious? What is your income bracket? Really...it's none of my business, so you shouldn't have to answer.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 09:46 PM
link   

It appears as if you took my initial post as a personal admonishment to your own views on this matter, but I was careful to create a post that replied to no one in particular, because all I was doing was pontificating. I have no desire to make anyone feel as if they shouldn't argue the matter as it stands, only to nudge them long enough to consider the ridiculousness of a licensing scheme regarding marriage, and you're right, it is really just a revenue scheme that is now being used as an excuse to take an unalienable right and reduce it to a civil right.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 09:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Druid42

Your point of filing joint taxes is well taken, and in the past I have been dismissive of the gay marriage movement for this very reason. I feel that they had an opportunity to instruct Americans on what it means to be free and frittered it away just so they could have joint filing privileges. My major annoyance on that is that I know of no statute in the tax code that makes the vast majority of Americans liable for any "income" tax anyway, and it appears that the only thing that makes most liable is their own willful and voluntary signature on a valid tax return. Sigh...peeling onions.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Anonymous404

This thread was created by the fact that the current POTUS has finally went on the record advocating same-sex unions. That's really ballsy. His opponent in the next election has the exact opposite stance. I see it as political maneuvering, and cauterizing some with such a statement.

There are bigger issues, but this one underlies the most intimate of every American's views. The freedom of choice.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 09:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Druid42

I understand this. I didn't mean my post as a direct reply to you. I am for gay marriage. Hell I'm not even really for marriage as a whole, but if anyone should be able to, everyone should.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 10:01 PM
link   

So forget OutKast, now we have Jean Paul running on the ATS ticket. Here is real substance.

No doubt all the taxes we pay are "constitutionally" illegal, but there has been nobody to protest. OWS is a sham, and any militia effort will be struck down. We are stuck, Mr. Idealism.

What's your platform?

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join