It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Any advice on pursuing a raw vegan diet?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 05:45 AM
link   
To make a long story short I recently watched a documentary about an experiment done in the U.K. In this experiment the test group of people were fed a raw vegan diet for six weeks. (I've tried but I couldn't locate the experiment online.) In that time all of the test subjects reported feeling better, Weight loss, Increased energy levels and generally feeling better.
Some of the test subjects HALVED their cholesterol levels in SIX WEEKS.
For some reason I though it would be a good idea to try this experiment for myself. However I have been having trouble locating a dietician that will even draw up a balanced raw vegan diet for me. I have finally located raw vegan diet on the net and I'm currently trying to find out if it is even economically viable to eat a diet of raw grains, fruits, nuts and vegetables.
While the potential pitfalls of embarking on such a diet are fairly obvious I believe that there are lessons to be learn't from experiments like this. There have been no long term raw vegan diet studies done (that I am aware of.) to show if there really is any benefit to pursuing such a diet.
I'm a fat lazy bastard so I know I will benefit from eating healthier and I understand that being fanatical isn't the answer either...
So I guess I'm just looking for any useful advice people may have to offer and some feedback.

Besides... I've been trying to think up a topic for the first thread I've authored and this seemed like a good idea.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 05:48 AM
link   

Any advice on pursuing a raw vegan diet?

Yeah, don't. Cooking food is good. It's important. And remember, if a cow could eat you, it would.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 05:54 AM
link   
Start with one 'raw' meal a day - It's going to take some getting used to I can tell you from first hand experience.
Also, make sure you don't have any underlying conditions that don't support this type of eating. (You'd be surprised at how much calcium there is in green veggies - eating too much can knock your heart out of whack).

Oh. And get ready to fart-a-lot.

Good Luck to you - and GRATS on your first thread!!! S&F!

peace
edit on 9-5-2012 by silo13 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 06:01 AM
link   
Eat lots of nuts, like walnuts, cashews, almonds, sunflower seeds, pine nuts etc. Veggies like broccoli, spinach, carrots, tomatoes string beans, peppers, peas, are all good raw, but you can boil or steam veggies too like potato, turnip, squash, sweet potato, parsnip, and not lose much nutritional value. Veggie broth soups are good. Apparently black beans are really good as well. Natural rices, and pastas and homemade peasant breads are all good. It's also been recently discovered that fruit and veggies indigenous to the area where your parents and grandparents were born are best for you.

Good luck
edit on 9-5-2012 by sparrowstail because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 06:14 AM
link   
Well my advice would be don't do it, Humans are meant to eat meat, our bodies have evolved to do so and that is how we're meant to live.

I'm sure you have your reasons though, you need to really do your research on the nutritional facts of the food you eat and make sure you meet the daily recommendations. You need to get a lot of iron somehow, which we usually get from red meats.

(Remember there's a difference between eating meat and eating unhealthily, meat != hamburger. A lean steak, and chicken breast are two examples of a healthy option that's very low in fat but will give you the nutrients and protein you need)
edit on 11/27/10 by SpearMint because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 06:19 AM
link   
Google "durianrider" and "freelee" and watch their videos (durianrider for the science/fitness; freelee for the, well, freelee!)

I went on their proposed diet from a protein based diet cold-turkey for 2 months.

I felt amazing, found I had abundant energy for the gym, lost at lot of inches and gained a noticeable amount of muscle mass.

Returned to my regular diet afterwards (with the additional inclusion of a lot of fruit) as it was hard to sustain the volume of food required to meet the minimum vitamin/mineral requirements.

I will return to the diet late winter to shred a few pounds for spring/summer.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 06:19 AM
link   
one day at a time,

one lifeform at a time,

and long term feasibility!

most people i know who went vegan were eating burgers and fries when i bumped into them little as months, year later.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 06:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by silo13
Start with one 'raw' meal a day - It's going to take some getting used to I can tell you from first hand experience.
Also, make sure you don't have any underlying conditions that don't support this type of eating. (You'd be surprised at how much calcium there is in green veggies - eating too much can knock your heart out of whack).

Oh. And get ready to fart-a-lot.

Good Luck to you - and GRATS on your first thread!!! S&F!

peace
edit on 9-5-2012 by silo13 because: (no reason given)

Thankyou

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 06:26 AM
link   
You don't have to eat heavy red meats. I usually eat just skinless boneless chicken breast and some sea food. Salmon is good.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 06:27 AM
link   
just imagine going cold turkey onto a totally VEGAN RAW diet...

rather ambitious!

i dont know how they do it... (and for how long!)

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 06:27 AM
link   

rather ambitious!

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 06:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by BiggerPicture

rather ambitious!

If your going to do something why do it half assed?... Why go vegan when you can go RAW VEGAN?!?

I don't know how long I will last but I'll give it a shot. I figure that if nothing else it will provide a good platform for building a healthier more balanced diet...

Maybe I just need a hobby...

Perhaps i have too much time on my hands...

Boredom is a terrible thing.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 06:37 AM
link   
You do not need to go to extremes. As others have pointed out, you can ease into the regime. You might also explore similar options, like macrobiotics. (I am assuming that you are making this decision based on a need to effect a lifestyle change for health reasons, rather than ethical considerations.) Be honest with yourself about the effect it is having on you; if you have headaches, energy loss or other symptoms, tailor the regime accordingly. Consult a physician when necessary.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 06:38 AM
link   
reply to post by hudsonhawk69

Congratulations.

Word of warning: Try to still get vitamin B12 in your body. Easily done by eating proper cheese. Yes I know, vegans don't eat cheese but I know a man who has been a vegan for decades and a couple of years back he had some issues because his diet lacked vitamin B12. He got the advise to eat cheese(not the factory produced ones but the proper farmer produced ones), he took the advice, even though he was a vegan for years and years. Now he's in his 70's and tells me he hasn't felt better or more energetic in his life. So vitamin B12 = VERY IMPORTANT.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 06:40 AM
link   
There is place in the small town in Idaho where I live that is vegan. I decided to try it for myself. I lasted about three days before I was too tired to walk up the stairs. I still go there, but not for every meal like I did before. In two weeks, I'm doing a five day cleanse there. I will let you know how it works out.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 06:40 AM
link   
reply to post by BiggerPicture

It seriously wasn't that hard, I was never hungry. I was eating ***tloads!

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 06:41 AM
link   
heh maybe vegan cheese have some b12

reminds me a vegan gal with nasty allergies since a move, didnt want to have localhoney in her tea to adapt to local allergens,

sad ,

kinda.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 06:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by DJW001
You do not need to go to extremes. As others have pointed out, you can ease into the regime. You might also explore similar options, like macrobiotics. (I am assuming that you are making this decision based on a need to effect a lifestyle change for health reasons, rather than ethical considerations.) Be honest with yourself about the effect it is having on you; if you have headaches, energy loss or other symptoms, tailor the regime accordingly. Consult a physician when necessary.

I do intend to ease into it gently... But arn't extremes fun?!?

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 06:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by InfoKartel

Congratulations.

Word of warning: Try to still get vitamin B12 in your body. Easily done by eating proper cheese. Yes I know, vegans don't eat cheese but I know a man who has been a vegan for decades and a couple of years back he had some issues because his diet lacked vitamin B12. He got the advise to eat cheese(not the factory produced ones but the proper farmer produced ones), he took the advice, even though he was a vegan for years and years. Now he's in his 70's and tells me he hasn't felt better or more energetic in his life. So vitamin B12 = VERY IMPORTANT.

Thanks for the advice... I'll do that.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 06:53 AM
link   

You're welcome, you're doing yourself a great service with that. And the world with changing your diet. I forgot to mention that the advice was not given by some random person but by actual doctors. Take care

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join