It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mourdock Defeats Lugar in GOP Indiana Senate Primary

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Sen. Richard Lugar, the third longest-serving member of the Senate, went down to a primary defeat tonight to his Tea Party-backed opponent in the Republican primary. State Treasurer Richard Mourdock, backed by tea partiers and conservative campaign groups outside the state, ousted Lugar in Indiana’s GOP primary, the Associated Press projected. Mourdock will face Democratic Rep. Joe Donnelly in November. In Lugar, the Senate would lose one of its few remaining members with a habit of bipartisanship. In Mourdock, Lugar has been unseated by a mild-mannered, twice-elected statewide official who wants to eliminate five federal departments and cut more spending than House Budget Chairman Paul Ryan, R-Wis., would.

Source: abcnews.go.com...

I can't tell if this is a good thing or not? He wants to cut federal spending almost on the scale that Ron Paul does but he doesn't strike me as nearly as libertarian... hopefully some more knowledgeable posters can provide better information as to just who exactly this guy is?

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 08:57 PM
link   
It's a good thing I think.

People in Indiana (well, people who lean to the right, anyway) are generally appalled by the present administration in Washington and see Lugar as a Republican in name only. They see Mourdock as a real conservative and a chance to get rid of the "establishment."

Lugar hasn't even lived in Indiana for years. Yeah, that's connecting to your constituents...

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by SilentKoala

You beat me to it I was going to post this!!!

While part of me is torn about Fed spending, (it'll probably and unforunaely be the ones who need it the most because we count for the least in their eyes (no campain donations here) I'm not completely unhappy with this turn out, although we are learning we can't trust the Tea Partiers either: example Marco Rubio and his support for backdoor amnesty why isn't that a surprise.

I do think when they get to be a certain age they should step down and this goes for the Supremes on the court too. Nowhere in private sector do they do this unless its something lite, I would imagine like Wal-Mart greeter. , It's honest work. I'm just saying these political people have worked the system until it's the greatest thing they ever thought of doing, Senate, House or Supreme Court Justice. How "sweet" are those gigs?There definately should be term limits on all these people, but like when will that ever happen?

edit on 8-5-2012 by 1loserel2 because: change

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 09:03 PM
link   

People voting out these long termed Senators/Congressmen out should be a message to them.
We want a REAL change.

[Now, if we could get rid of Pelosi and Reid, that would be even better.]

That being said though, this new guy will have a up-hill battle trying to eliminate the 5 gov. departments, not to mention their spending. At least there is hope after all. Now, let's see if he can beat the democratic nominee in Nov.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 09:09 PM
link   
reply to post by 1loserel2

I read some where, not to long ago, a senator was asked why he never ran for mayor/governor and his reply was:

"It's too much hard work"

In other words, being a senator was an easy laid back "job"... go figure. No wonder they stay in there for 50 years if they can.

I'll see if I can find that article..... kinda pissed me off when I read it.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Well I voted in the Indiana primary today and I did vote for Mourdock. To be honest with you I voted for him because the other choice was Lugar. I can say that I have come to think of Lugar as a Democrat in the time that I have taken to check into him. Do I think if Mourdock becomes our senator will he truly represent me, no. But since I think of him as a do nothing type of guy I would much rather have him in office. I mean at least he would be less active in screwing us from what I can tell.

But to be fair and honest I have a lot of research to do now on him and the democrats candidate to see if either one of them is worth voting for and I have to make sure there isn't a third party candidate that would better represent me. Until I did that I have just voted for a non-lugar.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 11:10 PM
link   

Another win thanks to outside tea party money. Republicans eating other republicans!!

top topics

join