It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WARNING: 3D TV's Possibly Causing Strokes and Vision Loss

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 11:17 PM
link   
now the question arises, which technology were those TVs using? shutter glasses or polarized glasses? i have a feeling they were all based on shutter glasses.

also:
- TVs: shutter glasses or polarized glasses
- nintendo 3DS: autostereoscopic display (no glasses) - same technology is used in some smartphones
- cinemas: polarized glasses

autostereoscopic displays have a barrier in front of a display, blocking light going out at certain angles, causing every second vertical line of pixels to be visible for one eye. because of this, horizontal resolution in 3D mode is half of the horizontal resolution in 2D mode.

polarized glasses don't need batteries, the light emitted from the screen is polarized differently for each eye, there's no flickering at all, but depending on exact polarization used, this technology may give some visible ghosting. in case of TVs and computer screens, every second horizontal or vertical line uses different polarization, effectively dropping vertical or horizontal resolution in 3D mode to half of that resolution in 2D mode. in case of cinemas, polarized light for both eyes is coming from two separate projectors and gets reflected from the screen, so no resolution drop occurs.

shutter glasses are battery-powered and synchronized with the screen, which emits a picture for left eye, then for right eye, then for left eye, then for right eye, and so on and so forth. screen is usually running at 120Hz, which gives 60Hz refresh rate for each eye - and glasses just shut down the light coming to your eyes 60 times per second. picture in 3D mode has full display resolution.

while some people are certainly sensitive to any 3D technology and it may cause headaches for them, when it comes to any serious health risks, i would certainly suspect shutter glasses technology.
edit on 7-5-2012 by jedi_hamster because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 02:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by SageBeno
There are big problems with the 3D technology we use today...

The way we see is by focusing on one specific point, when we wear the glasses our eyes are actually focusing on two separate points which causes headaches and the crap above..

The best way is holographic technology, that way.the two focus points are eliminated, its all infront of us already before we think about glasses.

Hold your finger about 1 hands distance from your nose. That is the equivalent of the cross eyed strain you'll need to endure before you suffer eye strain - Not stroke.

Stroke, imo in this case, is nothing to do with the tech.

3D - dependant on the method used - relies on frequencies above 120hz, split into 60hz each view point. Anything less and you'll get motion sickness the sort you'd get looking at an old crt monitor at 60hz refresh rate.

That is what would be causing seizures in people prone to them, but still not stroke. Now, someone suffering a seizure may also have problems relating to those which cause a stroke.

60hz is what my lcd is standard at, and will not go higher. My old crt would go as high as 125hz. I noticed right away the image lag and blurring caused by the lcd. After almost 2 years, I don't.

But I can tell you looking at a crt over 100hz is bliss for my eyes, and under 75 is like an instant hangover.

Prolonged exertion of your eyes, will cause strain. People who have those 3D goggles that emulate a 70" monitor in front of their eyes, often complain of headaches.

Throwing strokes in, in my opinion, is fear mongering.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 02:20 AM
link   
reply to post by jedi_hamster

Lol MUCH better explanation.

Also, the nintendo (and now monitors, and indeed separate film you can purchase to put onto your monitor) is called lenticular 3d. It's been around since I was knee high to a grasshopper, if anyone can remember those cards that if you turned left to right, the image would move?! Same thing. Except rather than you move the card, the monitor shifts the image to suite the ridged screen, causing both eyes to see slightly separate images - 3D.

I've seen some of the ones you can place over your monitor (need 120hz or better iirc, cant recall) but the sweet spot has improved drastically since it firsts came out. It used to be limited to a fairly central field of view - you'd need to be seated near front, or you'd get just blurry images.

Personally, I'd prefer 3D goggles that contain separate lcd's inside. The illusion of 3D is great for movies, tv.. but I'd be fanging to use it with 3D graphic software, where you are not limited to the 2D view, with a supposed 3rd dimension.. I want to see inside the model.

Ahh tell me 5 years ago about lenticular 3d, I'd have laughed.. no way, you need glasses of sorts. We're moving along neatly if you ask me.

Pity I'll be blind by time my dream comes true lol

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 02:56 AM
link   
reply to post by SonOfTheLawOfOne

I have 2 3D tv's (one for almost 2 years) at home NO problems to report, Sony give a warning on the PS3 if you are going to play a 3D game so I would assume any 3D tv manual will give a warning.

As for the reported problems JUST because a person has shown no sign of a problem and happens to be watching a 3D tv does not mean thats the cause!. Putting 2 + 2 together and getting 5

You can go to youtube and watch many videos of YOUNG proffesional football players drop dead during a match, they have regular medicals, have shown no problems before and obviously get plenty of exercise.

To make a rash statement re 3D tv's like you have may get you and ATS into bother

YOU have NO real proof for the statement you make, it's YOUR opinion NOT FACT

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 04:05 AM
link   
I really don't understand the point in them. I don't see how it enhances your viewing experience, it's still the same show/movie, why do things appearing to be 3 dimensional make it better... it's just a distraction from the story.

I'll never buy one, because 3D movies sometimes make me feel sick, as well as the reason above.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 05:32 AM
link   

I don't know much on the 3D T,Vs, were they watching the T.V with or without the 3D glasses?

Or our brain isn't ready.

edit on 8-5-2012 by mytheroy because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 06:41 AM
link   

You have fallen into the same trap as a lot of untrained lay people - that of conflating correlation with causation. I would imagine that your 3D watching friends also used a toilet daily. Shall we then announce that going potty causes strokes? Causation requires a mechanism or mediating influence. Many people think that strokes are caused by neurologic problems. They are not. While a stroke causes neurological problems, a stroke is caused by vascular issues, either ischemic or hemorraghic. So, while watching TV can cause neurologic stimulation, there are no studies at all showing a vascular response to television.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 07:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by SonOfTheLawOfOne
With the Nintendo 3DS, it doesn't require glasses, so I think they may have figured out a way to make it less of a danger by using some holographic trickery, but the glasses don't work the same way.

The 3DS uses a lcd parallax barrier screen. No holography involved. It works kind of similar to those lenticular 3D posters that have the ribbed plastic in front of them.

Anyway a friend of mine, that has epilepsy cant see 3D movies in the theater, however she can view 3D on the 3DS just fine without it adversely affecting her.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 09:08 AM
link   
I have a 3D TV, I hardly use the 3D feature but when I do, I do it for not more than 20-30 minutes without a break. 3D TVs aren't there for you to watch in 3D 24/7, just when you play certain games or watch certain movies...

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 09:16 AM
link   
I don't own a 3D tv set but I have made it a point NOT to watch movies in 3D. My kids don't care for 3D technology in its current form also. I used to suffer headaches and vision problems watching 3D movies but I must admit they have mitigated those symptoms for most sufferers but the problem still lingers for most.

Even though The Avengers movie was showing in 3D in 52% of the theaters, I still watched in in regular mode.

One thing to note, when going from page to page on our own ATS website, I close my eyes temporarily to avoid that split-second "flash" that occurs when the new page reloads. Does anyone else experience that? I don't know what they are flashing or care for any headaches but I make it a point to close my eyes until the page is fully loaded.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 09:34 AM
link   
reply to post by amongus

Dont think Ill ever get into 3d either at least in its current form. I cant stand wearing glasses and somehow it just seems off to me.

edit on 8-5-2012 by alien because: ...off-topic removed...

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Thanks, I totally believe your warning. I will remember this when my parents or I decide we might want to buy a 3D television. I doubt that anyone in the media or the manufacturers themselves would have warned me in time.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 10:21 AM
link   
i still dont get why people want to wear these glasses because 3d without them is already available...+ regular tv in 3d is also coming soon (already patented, have seen it)...

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 10:25 AM
link   
This reminds me of the Movie, The Jerk. Remember The Opti-Grab ?

I remember him getting sued,because everyone who bought them,went cross eyed.

Sounds crazy,but I believe OP has a point. Not tested enough,for long exposure. I do see lawsuits coming.
edit on 8-5-2012 by sonnny1 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 11:12 AM
link   

I know the difference between a stroke and a seizure. I just thought I read you talking about seizures. I don't think I've ever heard of anything visual causing a stroke. I would think it's not possible. If you were talking about someone getting a stroke from watching 3D TV, I would say don't worry about watching 3D TV and enjoy yourself because it just isn't possible to get a stroke from visual input of any kind. There is not one single case indicating that someone got a stroke from watching 3D TV or any other form of video technology like CRT TV's. Sorry about my previous reply being off-topic, but I could have sworn I read you wrote that. I wish when you reply on this forum that it would display the thread which you could scroll through so that you can more easily address previous posts, like when doing a point by point counter, making posts more accurate since there is no delete button for previous things you said.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Excellent thread.

I've often thought that 3DTV eye glasses need to get FDA approval, as this is a direct change to the way that the brain perceives the picture, and went ahead without any sort of regulatory approval at all, or apparently any extensive research into long term effects on the brain.

Eye glasses need FDA approval, why not 3DTV glasses?

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by wmd_2008

I have 2 3D tv's (one for almost 2 years) at home NO problems to report, Sony give a warning on the PS3 if you are going to play a 3D game so I would assume any 3D tv manual will give a warning.

YOU have NO real proof for the statement you make, it's YOUR opinion NOT FACT

You criticize others for having no proof of the statements that they make, while in the same post you say that you "assume that any 3dtv manual would give a warning" ?

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 11:40 AM
link   
You know, the term "possibly" doesn't do anything for me.

WARNING: CROSSING THE ROAD MAY POSSIBLY CAUSE AN ACCIDENT

WARNING: COOKING OVER AN OPEN FLAME MAY POSSIBLY BURN YOU

That kind of stuff. Sure, it might happen, but "possibly" inherently means that you can avoid it by taking precautions...

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Starchild23

Samsung themselves warned against this very scenario and it was posted here on ATS in 2010.
www.abovetopsecret.com...
I think it's more than just a mere possibility.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 01:00 PM
link   
You could probably expect seizures from people who are epilepsy prone, but stroking out? Alot of things can cause strokes and you settle on 3D tvs'? I would be looking at other health factors before embracing "the TV made me do it" card.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join