It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BitCoin Virus spreading around ATS?. Be careful with political talking points.

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by jjf3rd77

Originally posted by jenlovesturtles
Can't viruses be on your computer for awhile before you notice them interferring with your computer? IDK much about computers but someone doing that for political reasons seems a bit extreme to me.

Yes it is a bit extreme isn't? But it wouldn't surprise me at all actually considering how I have been treated on this website the past few weeks.

How have you been treated the last few weeks? All I have seen is people taking a lot of time to explain things in detail and you counter with silliness. I can not recall you being treated poorly, but whatever.

Now, about the virus and how I got it. Well I was listening to music on spotify and typing on the forums on this website this computer I am on now is days old and I have only been using this website for most of that time... It simply couldn't have come from anywhere else.

Since you are computer savvy I will assume you know all this but....

Some systems actually identify spotify as a virus. The Spotify forums also have numerous threads about false positives, malware and adware viruses. Here is an article that discusses some of the issues from 2011
Spotify Security Tips

The Spotify Virus
In early 2011, a hacker used Spotify's third-party advertisements to spread a virus to users' computer systems. The malware infected computers without users clicking the ad, with a technique called an anti-virus hoax that used what is referred to as a Blackhole Exploit Kit, which is a tool kit for exploiting weak spots in software.

Maybe you should think about your paranoia level. I have seen your post, we have been back and forth a few times. I can honestly say, and I mean no disrespect in any way as what I am going to say applies to basically everyone on ATS myself included, but none of us have opinions that are so remarkable and important that one would feel a need to shut you up by infecting your computer

Edit to add: The Bitcoin virus is actually designed to STEAL your Bitcoins from you, there are many articles about it that you can find via google. I have to admit, I'm a bit of a nerd and this thread has really got me curious. You said you removed the virus, would you mind telling us what the file name on it was? I'd like to look into this more and I will be happy to share my findings with you.

edit on 7-5-2012 by MrWendal because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 09:19 PM
link   
If you say 'i'm pretty computer savvy' and then proceed to display about as much computer savvy as my grandmother, well...v

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 09:24 PM
link   

It's a new computer or did you miss that part? I am still getting all of my programs and things installed. While debating with people here. It makes the process go faster

You claim to be computer savvy and the have classroom knowledge of computer security, but took a new computer online before you set up your entire security net??

doesn't sound too knowledgeable or savvy to me...

and to outright accuse someone on ATS of infecting your computer because of your political beliefs? PLEASE!

your threads the past week have been the most entertaining things.

edit on 7-5-2012 by kalisdad because: spelling

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 09:30 PM
link   
reply to post by kalisdad

The OP isn't REALLY allowed 4 strikes against his credibility, but you just provided the 4th.

Not securing a "new" pc? Yep. Strike number four.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 09:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Druid42

I only have hands on experience with computers(mind you, thats almost 30 years worth) with zero technical knowedge... and even I know that the first thing you do with a new computer is update security protocols and antivirus before you do anything else on the internet...

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by kalisdad

Agreed.

However, the OP is now entirely misleading. It seems to be less of an issue of how ATS functions, which is the issue of this Forum, as to the questionable site the OP may or may not have visited with his "unprotected" computer. ATS as a whole is functioning fine and healthy, so the issue is user based. Period.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 11:11 PM
link   
He admitted to installing lots of programs at once. That will make any windows based pc very slow. Then he said he did not secure it with updates?

The whole thread is comical at best.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 11:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by HIWATT
I'm just glad ATS is no longer redirecting us to HEAVY.COM

Thanks to whoever corrected that!

only ad i ever liked..

and the progressive car insurance
ones with flo i loooove flo..

op just do a factory restore
and you have nothing to worry about
just be careful what links you click
AND whatever else you do
run good antivirus and malwarebytes
so u dont have to worry wipe
the computer save whateve u need
to and wipe it all i can say
and sorry for the misfortune of getting
such a thing
edit on 7-5-2012 by popsmayhem because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 11:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by DrMattMaddix
Send a virus directly to your IP?

Yes you can send a virus that way through a hidden links and various other ways... I have seen it and done it!

I guess if "you've done it" ,then karma might be catching up with you,hey?

The political forums get hot and heavy,but no one is giving you a virus,for speaking your peace.

You need to come with proof.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 11:33 PM
link   
Been on this site for close to 2 years now not once have i ever gotten a virus from it.

Sorry.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 11:44 PM
link   
I read that if you put onions in your kitchen it kills viruses in the air and keeps you from getting sick. I suppose I can stick an onion on my modem so viruses can't get to my computer.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 12:06 AM
link   

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 03:30 AM
link   
Looking at where this seems to be going, I think we need to be careful about dragging politics into BB&Q, which is not a political forum, and I would also prefer that we not pile on a fellow member for expressing concerns about site security.

Since we seem to be ranging somewhat afield of the intent of the forum, I'm going to close this thread. As always, if anyone disagrees with my doing so, please send me a private message and I'll be happy to talk about it.

Meanwhile, though we might be skeptical of some claims, we do take the security of our membership very seriously, and should anyone encounter anything that may constitute a threat to our site or community, please don't hesitate to alert us to suspect posts or submit a Complaint/Suggestion for more general concerns.

Thanks to everyone who provided helpful feedback.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join