It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SOHO down. "Emergency Sun Reacquisition" mode. Lost the Sun. Seismos down as well

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+87 more 
posted on May, 7 2012 @ 02:52 PM
link   
It seems that SOHO has lost the Sun and has gone into reacquisition mode.

NOTE: LACK OF DATA UPDATES. SOHO went into "Emergency Sun Reacquisition" mode on Friday May 4, 2012, caused by a false trigger of the Coarse Sun Pointing Attitude Anomaly Dector. We are working on the recovery of the spacecraft to normal mode. Nominal science operations should be re-established in the next couple of days.

Source

But it is not just SOHO. Several of the Cascades seismograph stations have been very intermittent of late and current VALT - possibly the most important one on Mt St Helens - is still down after about 6 days.

I keep a record of many the Cascades seismograms which you can access from here

It just seems odd that these things are all down at the same time.

I assume that Coarse Sun Pointing Attitude Anomaly Dector.meant Detector, but what anomaly has thrown it off so it has lost it. Hell it is big enough!

Anyone have any idea how this SOHO stuff works? The seismos seem to be getting affected all at the same time - all the cascades ones go down at once until the past couple of days and now it is just VALT.

HAARP has been off line for ages today as well.

If this was a conspiracy site I would be saying "what are they covering up?". Oh wait it is. What are they covering up?

edit on 7/5/2012 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

It's false news, i bet they are hiding something!!

Thanks for letting us know
edit on 7-5-2012 by intergalactic fire because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 02:55 PM
link   
My seismometer still works.

If there's a big magnitude 93773876 killer, I'll let you know.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 02:58 PM
link   
It's always this way when we are not meant to see what's happening around or to us Puterman.

Let's keep an eye open because you're right when you say that there are too many coincidences here.

Good catch

Peace

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Very odd. I wouldn't think SOHO could actually lose the sun. Gotta love when everything fails all at once.....if it happened on the 4th then why are we just now finding out about it?

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 03:01 PM
link   
I found this regarding the same failure, Emergency Sun Reacquisition. From 1998
sohowww.nascom.nasa.gov...
They had no contact with the craft for more than 1 month.
3 months passed by before Soho was back into 'normal mode'

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 03:01 PM
link   
i just read that the magnetosphere real time simulation is off line too
edit on 7-5-2012 by heineken because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 03:02 PM
link   
I have to say I'm shocked.

Not....

Thing hasn't been updated since the 3rd or the 1st, but conveniently only some is updated to the 7th.

I say it's a lie.

Yeah, would like to know what they are hiding.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Maybe it got laser tagged.

link   
Just found this article.....

blogs.discovermagazine.com...

Seems to point to a possibility of Jupiter causing it to shut down so as not to harm the sensors in the camera because of the brightness.

Anyway, I just think this is neat. Jupiter is roughly one-billionth as bright as the Sun, yet there it is in the picture! And even though SOHO is designed to look at the Sun, Jupiter is so bright it’s overexposed. Imagine if the spacecraft moved a bit and the Sun were to peek out from behind the occulter… which can happen. SOHO goes into "safe mode" when that happens, shutting down systems that might get damaged. Every astronomical satellite has contingency plans like that, since it’s hard to send a repair service to most of ‘em. Generally it’s fixable by sending software commands to the spacecraft once the underlying problem has been ascertained.

edit on 5/7/12 by Vasa Croe because: (no reason given)

link   
reply to post by heineken

Hi Heineken, yup many things seem to be down or intermittent.

Another thing I find VERY curious is why do the aurorae seem to be happening nightly when there have been few flares?

Space weather always comes up with "the magnetic field tipped South allowing the Solar wind to pour in"

Same lame excuse every time and no solar wind around. Suspicious? Yes. Where is the magnetic activity coming from?

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 03:07 PM
link   
They don't want us to see the Klingon fleet,be calm it'll be over soon.

+1 more 
posted on May, 7 2012 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Vasa Croe

That is just about the worse excuse ever. Think how bright one of those HUGE flares are.

No, there is a conspiracy afoot here. They are hiding something.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 03:08 PM
link   
That pesky sun, always running and hiding. That's the problem with space observation, you never know where a planet will be from day to day.......(end sarcasm)

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

It's not only solar flares that causes this activity. Also coronal holes, which will be probably causing these auroras you mention.

Coronal holes are the Old Faithfuls of the sun’s surface. Though solar flares produce good auroras, scientists’ only chance to predict their effects come in the three days between their occurrence and their arrival at Earth’s ionosphere. Coronal holes can exist for one year or more, and holes such as the one now affecting Earth’s magnetism tend to come back with every rotation of the sun. If the electrical circuit between Earth and sun is oriented in a favorable way for aurora production—as it has been during the life of this coronal hole—an aurora forecaster’s job becomes easier, and a bit more fun.

www2.gi.alaska.edu...

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 03:15 PM
link   
It's ok guys.
I just walked outside.
The sun is still there, and it didn't kill me.

Yet. dun dun dunnnn.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by intergalactic fire

Well there does seems to be a huge gaping hole on the sun right now.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 03:17 PM
link   

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by intergalactic fire

Yes I agree, but there have been many days recently when there has been no solar wind, note I did say wind and yet there have been aurorae.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 03:21 PM
link   
hmm

what could all the ufo's near the sun, be?

or could they be unknown 'energies' or entities?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join