It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

To the Christians of ATS

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 07:08 AM
link   
Some of you are pretty cool. But i see others who appear to contradict their belief by judging others. Homosexuality is one major issue which grasps ATS every now and then, and it seems as if there is some type of Crusade against it. Yeah, the Bible states that man and woman have to be heterosexual, but it doesn't give you the right to judge homosexual people. The same goes for any other matter: Other religions, anything. i see many of you judging other members based on their beliefs, but doesn't doing that go against your own?

Something for some of you to think about.

Thank you.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 07:23 AM
link   
Do not judge for you will be judged by god, and you might not like his verdict lol

concordances.org...

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 07:25 AM
link   
hi op

ive always stated
i believe in god/s that created us and the human existance
im more leaning towards multiple gods for various reasons
such as the chinese, totaly different to europeans and have more people than the rest of the world
does that mean they evolved here first? who knows
but im certain of this
religion is the key player in slavery (soul wise)
and till religion is wiped from this planet
then wars will continue
(just a wee thought)
cheers
dave

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 07:29 AM
link   
“Do not judge, or you too will be judged. 2 For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.

3 “Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother’s eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? 4 How can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? 5 You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye.

Matthew 7: 1-5

7 When they kept on questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, “Let any one of you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her.” 8 Again he stooped down and wrote on the ground.

9 At this, those who heard began to go away one at a time, the older ones first, until only Jesus was left, with the woman still standing there. 10 Jesus straightened up and asked her, “Woman, where are they? Has no one condemned you?”

11 “No one, sir,” she said.

“Then neither do I condemn you,” Jesus declared.

John 8:7-11

It is truly laughable for one person to judge another as faling short of the Lord's commandments. For we are all "but filthy rags".

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 07:33 AM
link   
Good luck getting a straight answer on that

I read an apparent "letter" floating around the web about this topic that was supposedly sent into some Religious nut named Dr. Laura Schlesinger, who also believed the whole "abomination" dealy.... it gave me a laugh, but sometimes I'm embarrassed to be the same species as these people.....

"Dear Dr. Laura:

Thank you for doing so much to educate people regarding God's Law. I have learned a great deal from your show, and try to share that knowledge with as many people as I can. When someone tries to defend the homosexual lifestyle, for example, I simply remind them that Leviticus 18:22 clearly states it to be an abomination... End of debate.

I do need some advice from you, however, regarding some other elements of God's Laws and how to follow them.

1. Leviticus 25:44 states that I may possess slaves, both male and female, provided they are purchased from neighboring nations. A friend of mine claims that this applies to Mexicans, but not Canadians. Can you clarify? Why can't I own Canadians?

2. I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as sanctioned in Exodus 21:7. In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair price for her?

3. I know that I am allowed no contact with a woman while she is in her period of menstrual uncleanliness - Lev.15: 19-24. The problem is how do I tell? I have tried asking, but most women take offense.

4. When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a pleasing odor for the Lord - Lev.1:9. The problem is, my neighbors. They claim the odor is not pleasing to them. Should I smite them?

5. I have a neighbor who insists on working on the Sabbath.Exodus 35:2. clearly states he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill him myself, or should I ask the police to do it?

6. A friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is an abomination - Lev. 11:10, it is a lesser abomination than homosexuality. I don't agree. Can you settle this? Are there 'degrees' of abomination?

7. Lev. 21:20 states that I may not approach the altar of God if I have a defect in my sight. I have to admit that I wear reading glasses. Does my vision have to be 20/20, or is there some wiggle- room here?

8. Most of my male friends get their hair trimmed, including the hair around their temples, even though this is expressly forbidden by Lev. 19:27. How should they die?

9. I know from Lev. 11:6-8 that touching the skin of a dead pig makes me unclean, but may I still play football if I wear gloves?

10. My uncle has a farm. He violates Lev.19:19 by planting two different crops in the same field, as does his wife by wearing garments made of two different kinds of thread (cotton/polyester blend). He also tends to curse and blaspheme a lot. Is it really necessary that we go to all the trouble of getting the whole town together to stone them? Lev.24:10-16.

Couldn't we just burn them to death at a private family affair, like we do with people who sleep with their in-laws? (Lev. 20:14)

I know you have studied these things extensively and thus enjoy considerable expertise in such matters, so I am confident you can help. Thank you again for reminding us that God's word is eternal and unchanging."

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 07:38 AM
link   
Thank you all for the replies, especially those who went to the trouble of recovering religious quotes

reply to post by BaitingThePublic

That is quite funny

Star for all
edit on 7-5-2012 by daaskapital because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 07:42 AM
link   
reply to post by daaskapital

Whats wrong with judging people? Your judgement doesn't always have to be a negative one. And even when it is a negative one it is necessary. Like to say HItler had let evil corrupt his life would be a necessary and fair judgement based on the information we have.

I just see judgement as deciding what you think of someone based on the information you have. I just try to keep my judgement fair by not having a god complex when making them. By god complex I mean thinking you know everything about something based on the information you have gathered.

I understand that I will never know everything about something or someone regardless how much information I have on them. But once I get quite a bit of information I will make a basic judgement, a judgement that will change as I get more information.

My point is that judgement is a healthy mental process that shouldn't be demonized so much.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 07:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Renegade2283

Regardless if it is a negative judgement or not, the Bible clearly states not to judge another person.

That being said though, i agree with you that making judgements can at times be healthy for the mind. After all it is a natural thing that humans do. It appears to be something that has gained popularity in our post-structuralist society.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 08:02 AM
link   

At least from an honest christian perspective I think maybe it comes down to judgment against ones actions as opposed to judgement of a person. I dont think Jesus is advocating a lawless society which is what we would be left with if no judgement were allowed. I think if someone acts in discordance with man's law (civil or criminal) that is the realm in which we are permitted to make judgement as it says how you judge someone is how you will be judged. When someone breaks the law we feel they should be punished accordingly just as we know we will be judged in an equal manner had we broken the law.

However if we attempt to judge a person in accordance with God's law we attempt to make an argument in a court in which we have no standing. We have no standing because God's law is clear that to break a single commandment is to have broken them all thus we already stand guilty for the crime we are accusing another to have commited.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 08:05 AM
link   

Why should you care what a book tells you to do. You should have the courage to make up your own mind. Of course the bible tells you not to judge. It is an effective tool for controlling people so its gonna have something along the lines of "don't question me".

I really like what the guy off of The Book of Eli said "Its not a book its a weapon!!". So true.

So the only defense anyone could muster for why you should not judge is because "the bible said not to". That is just sad. I would like to recall all the other ridiculous things the bible forbids. Someone posted it a little earlier. But you get my point.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 08:06 AM
link   
I think your concept of judgement is a little distorted.
If a Christian is concerned or questions a paedophile they are judgemental??? A murderer a rapist, any vile act an atheist can happily condemn is unacceptable, but for a Christian to judge them its wrong???
A Christian can make a judgement, its thecondemnation (thats a big word) that is the issue. Diachronic and synchronic interpretations can confuse somebody with no foundational understanding.
I judge the Catholic clergy and wont allow my kids near them. Accuse me of Judgement do you? If I allowed the Catholic clergy access to my kids you would call me stupid.

Think you may be a little confused DAAS, standard Aussie intelligence or lack there of I suspect

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 08:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Josephus

hi renegade
as i say im not religious.but
i believe in karma, what goes around comes around
and your post (coming from a non believer)
makes sense
(sorry spelling)
dave

link   

I'm not talking judgement for a specific action or facet of something/someone. Im talking about the judgement of something/someone on general.

Also I'm not talking about any definitive judgement but a temporary judgement subject to change. I'm also not talking about the response to a judgement call. Which is what many consider as judgement.

I am also not talking in any religious way other than to point out the demonization that religion has performed.

Do you see what I'm talking about. I'm just trying to prevent judgement from being completely demonized.

link   

You are right on this in many ways. I am a christian although I prefer the term believer, but I have pulled away from organized religion because of this very reason. Regardless of a persons religion whether it is christian or some other religion or atheisim, noone should try to force their beliefs and concept of right and wrong on someone else. Each one of us is responsible for or own choices and our own soul, so we shouldn't try to make someone elses decisions for them.

Growing up in a traditional church I find that I have very little tolerance for judgemental busybodies of any religion or even those who don't have religious beliefs. Reality is that life is hard. It's a journey with good times and bad times, and we are all doing the best we can on this journey. My message to those that want to push their belief or disbelief on others is "stop sniffing everyone else's butt and start sniffing your own". Perhaps then you can become comfortable enough with who you are as a person that you won't have to worry about what everyone else is doing all the time.

I also would like to say though that it really is not fair to judge all christians based on a bad experience with a few, in the same way as it is not fair to say that all muslims are terrorists because a few committed terroristic acts, or that all atheists are lacking morals because you once met some that had no morals. If you judge the whole group based on what some of them do, isn't that also judging?

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 08:19 AM
link   

Yes i agree with you. What I was trying to say, apparently not very well, Is that in my view Christianity does not limit the type of judgement that you are promoting. Purposefull and proper judgement is supposed to be a tennent of the faith.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Ah I see. I didnt mean to seem so offensive toward christianity or religion but somethimes I need to be blunt to show my opinion

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by daaskapital
Some of you are pretty cool. But i see others who appear to contradict their belief by judging others. Homosexuality is one major issue which grasps ATS every now and then, and it seems as if there is some type of Crusade against it. Yeah, the Bible states that man and woman have to be heterosexual, but it doesn't give you the right to judge homosexual people. The same goes for any other matter: Other religions, anything. i see many of you judging other members based on their beliefs, but doesn't doing that go against your own?

Thank you.

We do not judge people for being homosexual, but they cannot be christians if they are. The ones who say they are, mock Yeshua. You may not like it, nor may they, but it is what it is. They can change their lifestyle and become christian but that is the only way.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 09:53 AM
link   
John 7:24

Judge not according to the appearance, but judge righteous judgment.

Matt. 7:1

1 Judge not, that ye be not judged.

Read the context and circumstances where each of these statements were made by Jesus..

Christians are to be no more or less judgemental than anyone else. Their judgement however, is to be tempered by scripture, and by the "Spirit" that is within them. They are not to usurp those things only God can judge. But they are to make judgements daily based on their understanding of scripture, and by the leading of the "Spirit". And like anyone else, they are to use common sense where it applies.

The reason many christians don't answer this question, is because many don't understand it themselves. But those who do understand it, also understand that the heathens(that's us) will believe what they will believe whatever is explained to them.
edit on 5/7/2012 by Klassified because: reword

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by lonewolf19792000

You realize some homosexuals are born that way right? So they have to become straight in order to be a Christian? You need to chill the self righteous attitude. Stop using God to hate on those who are different than you.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by daaskapital

Thank you.

We're supposed to make righteous judgments, not judge on outward appearance. Judge a man's words, his heart. Not judge someone for how they look on the outside. Not to give preferential treatment to the rich or honorable. Our ultimate example is Christ, He loved all men, but NEVER condoned anyone's sin. It's cliche, but love the sinner, not their sin. Christ died for the homosexual also. Their sin is no different than any of our sins, there is only 1 unforgivable sin and that's not homosexuality.

edit on 7-5-2012 by NOTurTypical because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join