It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Al Qaeda releases video of American captured in Pakistan

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 06:10 AM
link   
Uh-Oh.... Al Qaeda got themselves another hostage.

Al Qaeda has released its first video of Warren Weinstein, an American citizen who was kidnapped in Lahore, Pakistan in August 2011. In the videotape, Weinstein pleaded with US President Barak Obama to submit to al Qaeda's demands to ensure his release before he is killed.

The videotape, which was produced by As Sahab, al Qaeda's propaganda department, and released on jihadist websites yesterday, is titled A Message from the Prisoner Warren Weinstein to His President. In the video, Weinstein directly addresses Obama, and begs for the president to accept al Qaeda's terms for his release.

I've seen 1 story on this here, from 2011. At least it appeared to be the same guy. I don't know why they waited before doing this, but they have. The fact he's been alive all this time and is still alive is encouraging. It at least means he didn't fall into the hands of the worst of the bunch. I think we all recall Daniel Pearl and others. They never had a chance. This man, being kept so long, means they aren't in a bloodlust anyway.

"Just as the Americans detain all whom they suspect of links to al Qaeda and the Taliban, even remotely, we detained this man who is neck-deep in American aid to Pakistan since the seventies," Zawahiri said according to the SITE Intelligence Group, which translated his statement.

Zawahiri said that Weinstein would be released if the US halted drone strikes in Pakistan, Afghanistan, Yemen, and Somalia, and freed terrorist prisoners at Guantanamo Bay as well as Omar Abdul Rahman, Ramzi Yousef, Sayyid Nosair, and Abu Musab al Suri. Zawahiri also called the US "to release everyone who was detained on charges of belonging to al-Qaeda and the Taliban, even if they were handed over to another country."

Now that part is bad... real bad.. They may as well have asked for the keys to Fort Knox and a few nights in the Lincoln Bedroom. I'm sorry for this man, but Obama could never entertain this. Not once it's become public. That's my view. What does everyone think? Will there be a way he comes out of this? I personally hope so, but I just don't feel good about it.

edit on 7-5-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 06:30 AM
link   
They're (alCIADA) using him to supress the other dire news in Pakistan,

drone strikes

edit on 7-5-2012 by BiggerPicture because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 06:55 AM
link   
reply to post by BiggerPicture

Well, We'll agree to disagree on this in a real major way. Unless the Central Intelligence Agency has a whole new retirement program that runs to the extreme, then Al QAEDA has killed quite a few senior Officers in just the last year. I suppose the CIA really could have just gone totally homicidal and started off'ing it's own American Officers. However, that little double-agent suicide bomber in Afghanistan recently got several of the top, in one shot, at one time.

Err.... Oh well... I really didn't put this up to rehash some folks belief that Al Qaeda is entirely run and controlled by the United States anyway. Whatever they used to be....they are damn sure looking for our heads now, and in this poor man's case, that may be literal.

I believe people might find the plight of this man worth knowing. The demands are certainly interesting eh? Particularly, it's the nation's on the list that caught my view. This isn't some goober in Yemen making these demands, but top leadership. Somalia, of all nations to add to the list. Now that I find very interesting, all things being equal.

Of all the nations AQ actively runs combat operations in, Somalia isn't one I'd have ever expected to see make a VERY short list like this. Perhaps that nation has more importance than first thought?

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 07:05 AM
link   
and they really expect the U.S. to back down because they captured some unimportant guy?

really?

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 07:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Where's your source/link?

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 08:08 AM
link   

I cant help but feel for the guy.God knows what they will do to him to get the attention of the president and our public. I have conflicting views about this stuff on one hand if this is true it pulls on my heart strings, On the other hand I take it with a grain of salt knowing it is most likely a ploy to keep Obama in office,keep our troops over seas and lessen our freedoms at home. I remember the beheading and felt ashamed I had watched it. I remember it not seeming real maybe that's what i wanted in hindsight. The video instilled anger, outrage,racism,fear then we all joined hands in jingoistic pride+anger as we got ready for war with country songs about putting boots in asses and putting support ribbons on our cars. Will America fall into the same trap? I hope not

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 08:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by bluemirage5

I was thinking the exact same thing. Would be interesting to see this video.

For some reason the whole thing comes off as a Hollywood stunt imo.
edit on 7-5-2012 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 08:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by bluemirage5

I can't believe this. I really did that, didn't I? and now..I can't find the original site! Oh brother... I spent forever finding one that actually had details on the demands..and now, it's not coming up. I could scream... Okay... Thread fail on the lack of sourcing. I'm a big bunny.. I can take my lumps.

(Holds out paws)

Here are a few to choose from for more info...and again guys, I'm really sorry. I thought I had a great story and site to fill in what CNN didn't on the television.

Source 1
Source 2
Source 3

(hops off to his hole to hide in shame and sleep for a bit)

@CNN Headline initially covered this starting around 6am. If that gives some reference. That's where I first heard it. The rest.. well... back to my hole now.
edit on 7-5-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Unfortunately for this man, the demands wont be met and even if they were met, he would be killed anyways..... Sad, but true..... USA cannot give in to terrorist demands ever, there are too many americans aroun the world, if you save one, you will have to save them all... If anything, I would try to locate where he is being held at, and send an extraction team in after him....

Its just too bad that Al Qaeda never kills a hostage fast, its always decapitation with a very dull knife... If and when they do kill him, I hope they dont video tape and broadcast it over the internet...
edit on 7-5-2012 by jhn7537 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join