It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it just me, or is there less interest in the election this time around?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 07:32 PM
link   
This is a subjective impression, but seems to me that there is less interest in the election than there was in 2008, and even in the 2010 mid-terms. I base this on what I see on the Internet (ATS and elswhere) as well as casual impressions of those around me, so this is a pretty subjective call, but its a strong impression. Yes, there's a touch of Ron-Paul mania on the fringes, but it seems relatively subdued.

Where there is interest, there seems to be a lot less strong partisanship.

Some will call this apathy, but personally I see it as a positive sign. People are waking up to the fact that electing this or that puppet really won't solve their problems. They are coming to see there is less difference between Democrats and Republicans than they thought. They look at Obama and see the continuation of wars and banker-friendly bailouts. They see that nothing truly important has really changed since the Bush days.

The understanding that the political system is broken at a fundamental level and that electing a particular candidate isn't going to change diddly-squat is the first step in real reform of the fundamentals. Hopefully people will start asking the right questions and take it into their hands to demand wrenching alteration to the system - Change that goes beyond hopes that a particular candidate or a party is a cure-all.

edit on 5/6/2012 by silent thunder because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 07:35 PM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

I think You're absolutely right in saying this. Do you know why? Because we have become despondant because all the choices are just puppets for corporate America we may as well be cattle. Basically we are nothing and get no respect. This has made it hard to be interested in choosing which of the puppets to pick.

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 07:35 PM
link   
The most interest comes from the hardcore political junkies mainstream America is busy on Facebook,watching Jersey Shore or American Idol.

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 07:37 PM
link   
I can't speak for everyone, but it's my opinion that the POTUS doesn't matter, he still listens to the same shadow government. I didn't know any of this last election but I do now. To hell with the sham government they shove down our throats

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Have to agree. No bumper stickers, no signs, not a lot of interest among family, friends or anyone really. I think everyone is pretty much resigned to Obama winning since the GOP is so awful at the moment. There is of course the lunatic Paul fringe, but in the real world they aren't actually taken seriously. I am actually beginning to suspect that the majority of rabid Paul supporters online are too young to vote.

link   

Originally posted by silent thunder

It is only May.

The programming that will come in the next few months will not stay embedded for 6 months.

During the mid to late summer you will see the media blitz.

Just like we saw the Super PACs warp the minds of many midwest and eastern states in the weeks leading up to super Tuesday.

It is all lie but people will still get their wigs twisted by their master rectangle blink box.

link   
reply to post by neo96

Well see that's the question. Whether its apathy because people are watching Jersy Shore, or a realization that the election is a sham to begin with.

Its an open question but I'm leaning towards the latter. Because I see intelligent people who don't watch Jersy Shore and who were more involved in past election cycles waking up and realizing that the system is broken and it doesn't matter which clown sits on the throne.

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Apparently not here. I'm beginning to worry that this site will be all politics for the next 7 months. It would be fine if any candidate actually had a chance of reeling in this runaway government, but we all know that if a true attempt was made, that candidate would be killed. There are powers behind the powers behind the powers.

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 07:46 PM
link   

I can't say one way or the other all i can do is speculate could be a combination of all of the above when there is a villian it is easy to manipulate the masses then popular culture picks up on that and then gains steam.

Putting that into perspective to the last decade no one hated Bush more and considering the "likeability" factor of Obama that reflection has subsided.

Sure there is a combination of factors including apathy and people waking up to the "sham" of the political game.
edit on 6-5-2012 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Come around November, the election will be the least thing on most people's mind. You haven't seen "disinterest" yet.
edit on 6-5-2012 by SpeakerofTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 07:50 PM
link   

I'm noticing that too. Several people I know who were heavily vocal about previous elections are not as interested in the charade this time around. I hope it's because they are finally realizing that it doesn't matter which of the two parties gets the vote. It's gonna be the same old song and dance. Either that or they believe it will be a landslide vote with Obama getting re-elected.

A certain George Carlin bit comes to mind. I know this has been posted here several times, but it's relevant.

Change that goes beyond hopes that a particular candidate or a party is a cure-all.

And that includes Ron Paul. I don't care who says otherwise.

Good day.

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 07:55 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Putting that into perspective to the last decade no one hated Bush more and considering the "likeability" factor of Obama that reflection has subsided.

Good point. Obama isn't hated as universally or passionately as Bush, and there is no night in shining armor coming to the rescue, unless you like Paul. I think the GOP really dropped the ball with Mittens, and that most are resigned to having Obama for a second term. That and Jersey Shore.

ETA knight. Oops. Derp.
edit on 6-5-2012 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 07:56 PM
link   
4 year election cycles are always less interesting than the 8 year ones. You don't have a someone is definately going to be different in power mentality, so its status quo or something different...and most people are ultimately not overly bothered with the status quo.

Also, people already know how they are going to vote, don't let anything fool you into believing otherwise. Some people will pretend they haven't made up their mind, but chances are, they will simply vote however they vote 4 years earlier..

What made 2008 "exciting" was new ground being broken. First off Cheney wasn't running (been the norm that the VP tries to run after the 8 year potus steps down). So, without him running, it felt like a fresh start...that plus a historic election either way (woman as VP, or a half black man, either way, the history books would be written) and voila...you got exciting change.
This time around its...same guy, or rich guy...yawn, wake me up on election day to just cast my vote, boring.

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 08:00 PM
link   
More and more people are coming to the conclusion that the presidential election is rigged. It does not matter who they vote for. The next president is already picked months if not years in advance. The Electoral College makes rigging the presidential election nice, neat and legal. I think that feeling of "it does not matter"has filter down to the lower levels as well. For the most part people are just giving up on the whole electron thing. That is just what our government wants. That is what I feel is happening

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 08:01 PM
link   

In the last election, we had a lame duck President who could not be re-elected, so the playing field was wide open.

The main Democratic contenders were a woman and a black (ok, half black) man - both were historic choices.

The Republican VP candidate was a surprise to everybody, and again, a woman, an historic choice.

The Democratic candidate had a name that sounded an awful lot like "Osama", thus providing lots of opportunity for negative spin.

The Republican candidate was a war hero.

The Democratic candidate was a younger candidate that evoked memories of Kennedy.

The country was sliding into a recession, and the rest of the world was following.

The big American auto manufacturing companies were going bankrupt.

Banks were failing.

Stores were closing down on every street corner.

There was a lot to be passionate about...

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 07:26 AM
link   
First and foremost, Obama has never really stopped campaigning since his last election. It's all old hat hence the dismal turnout for his "official" campaign launch at Ohio State the other day. Love those "forward" signs... that were handed out to the crowds. If they only knew...

What we need to see now is a muscle campaign coming from the GOP. Time to take the overstuffed gloves off. You know, the same ones used by McCain. Enough of the body shots... Be honest, keep the message about facts, focus on failed policy, bully tactics, long established relationships with radicals, and be ready to defuse the race card which will certainly be played to no end. They are already getting ready to throw it on the table in regards to the inquiry of Eric Holder, the liar, the crook, the manipulator.

Interest will pick up soon especially towards the end of the Summer "protest season". There will be plenty to talk about after that. Let's see how fast Obama tries to distance himself from it...

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 01:36 PM
link   

How are people supposed to get excited about "choosing" their next president when even the media can't tell them apart?

Who's who? Obama, Romney projecting mirror image

He's a smug, Harvard-trained elitist who doesn't get how regular Americans are struggling these days. More extreme than he lets on, he's keeping his true agenda hidden until after Election Day. He's clueless about fixing the economy, over his head on foreign policy. Who is he?

Your answer will help decide the next president.

Is it Barack Obama, as seen by Mitt Romney? Or Romney, the way Obama depicts him? For all their liberal versus conservative differences, when the two presidential contenders describe each other, they sound like they're ragging on the same flawed guy. Or mirror images of that guy.

Will voters prefer the man waving with his left hand or his right?

Blame it on two cautious candidates with more traits in common than their disparate early biographies would suggest.

AP

They might as well come right out and admit it once and for all; Our electoral system is a sham. No matter who we vote for, the same sorry policies will continue indefinitely into the future.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Obama or Romney?

What's the diff? I haven't been able to find anything to get excited about in either candidate, and if I did the other candidate would have the same policy written into his platform. Probably wouldn't even change the wording.

In the end, the only thing we will be voting on is hair style.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 01:49 PM
link   
POTUS stands for puppet of the united states.

The big problem is congress.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 01:55 PM
link   
I was just thinking about this the other day. Not only is there less interest in the election in regards to the American public, but it also seems like there is less interest in the election.... by the candidates, too. I know that the Republicans are still doing their thing with the primaries, but it seems strange that I've only seen 1 single campaign ad. The sole ad I've seen hasn't even been played a lot. It's the one talking about Romney being the $200 million man, the BFF of big oil. I've seen it, maybe, 4 or 5 times in the past month or so.

I'm just surprised that Obama (at least where I live) isn't even really campaigning yet, not really, at least not through the media here. Seems to me it's almost like he doesn't have to, it's like he knows he's going to win, and it's like, "Why bother?". I'm sure things will pick up after the Republican primaries, but still, I expected this year to be like any other election year, with some feverish interest on both sides.

Maybe it's just my region or my state, but haven't heard really a word about anyone or anything, like it's NOT an election year. For me, it's not. Not buying into that again, no matter what anyone says about people getting in by default because of lack of voter turnouts, etc., it's all bulls*** anyway.
edit on 7-5-2012 by mountaingirl1111 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join