It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Passenger attacks pilots with axe

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2004 @ 06:47 AM
link   
A man attacked 2 pilots and a passenger on an internal flight in Norway. He attacked the pilots just as they were about to land. The plane still managed to land, and the man has been arrested. The 3 injured have been taken to a hospital. They say their injuries are not life-threatening.

The man screamed "I�m gonna crash the plane" before he forced entry to the cockpit, grabbed the stick and pushed it in order to crash the plane. It came to a struggle and the pilots were shouting to the passengers to help them. When they were fighting, the aggressive man attacked them with an axe.

news.bbc.co.uk
A man has been arrested after attacking two pilots and a passenger with an axe on an internal flight in Norway.

The pilots managed to bring the plane in to land safely, and were then taken to hospital with the injured passenger.

A police spokesman told the BBC the assailant, described as of north African origin, used an emergency axe kept on board.

The plane was on a 20-minute flight between the northern towns of Narvik and Bodoe when the attack took place.

The plane was a 20-seater Dornier 228 operated by the small regional airline Kato Air, with seven passengers on board.

"We don't really know anything about a motive," he said. "It is too early to speculate."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

There was no security-check at the airport.
However, the axe he used was standard equipment on board that plane.
To be used "in a emergency". Yeah right, how smart is that?

Norwegian media says the man was an Algerian. He had been denied entry to Norway, and he got the final denial in May after he had appealed to the previous denial. Why he was still in the country I don�t know.

Related ATS stories
Pilots attacked with axe - 2 Pilots and a passenger injured

[edit on 2004/9/29 by Hellmutt]

posted on Sep, 29 2004 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Correction. He did not use the axe which was standard equipment onboard the plane. He had his own axe and also a knife with him. This axe:

[edit on 2006/4/25 by Hellmutt]

posted on Sep, 29 2004 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Until now, Norway hasn't really had much reason to tighten security. They've been pretty much self contained and harmless to everyone in the world for the last 100 years or more. When was the last time you heard anyone hating the Norwegians lol? This just sounds like a disgruntled man who wanted to live in Norway and was denied.

These days we tend to think that there is a motive to every crime.
To quote Chris Rock... "What ever happened to CRAZY?"

posted on Sep, 29 2004 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by veritas93
This just sounds like a disgruntled man who wanted to live in Norway and was denied.

Right now he ensured that he can stay in Norway for years, in jail.
A jail in Norway is probably better for him than going back.
He even get paid while in jail in Norway!
He could get max. 21 years.
Or min. 2 years.
For norwegian taxpayers money.

Oh well, I don�t pay tax to Norway anyway, but to the country where I currently live.

Still makes me mad though.

posted on Sep, 29 2004 @ 01:36 PM
link   
I foresee a time in the future when everyone will have been attacked by an algerian w/ an axe. LOL.

BEWARE ! The Algerians !

Bode

[edit on 9/29/2004 by bodebliss]

posted on Sep, 30 2004 @ 01:54 AM
link   
English article from Norway. More details.

I'm going to crash this plane

DRAMA IN MIDAIR:

I'm going to crash this plane, screamed the asylum applicant who started the axe drama onboard the Kato Airline Wednesday afternoon.

In the chaos that emerged, the plane plunged towards the ground. The pilots did not regain control over the plane until it was about 100 feet (30 meters) above the ground.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Click the link above for the full article. At the bottom of the article there is a series of photos. Click the arrows to navigate the photos. The last two photos on that page is from another incident with this airline.

[edit on 2006/4/25 by Hellmutt]

posted on Feb, 28 2005 @ 08:06 AM
link   
The "Axe-man" was in court today. He claimed he don´t remember anything of the incident. He said the last thing he remember was that "he was surrounded by lots of algerian policemen". Then he sort of woke up when somebody told him there was an incident and that he was involved. They still haven´t found any motive to why he attacked the pilots. I find his story about "algerian policemen everywhere" hard to believe. After all, during the attack he was shouting: "I´m going to crash this plane!"...

BTW, the pilot got a nice medal for this miracle he did...

posted on Feb, 28 2005 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hellmutt
The "Axe-man" was in court today. He claimed he don´t remember anything of the incident. He said the last thing he remember was that "he was surrounded by lots of algerian policemen". Then he sort of woke up when somebody told him there was an incident and that he was involved. They still haven´t found any motive to why he attacked the pilots. I find his story about "algerian policemen everywhere" hard to believe. After all, during the attack he was shouting: "I´m going to crash this plane!"...

BTW, the pilot got a nice medal for this miracle he did...

Ah the old insanity plea. Never fails when they get caught red handed ya know.

posted on Feb, 28 2005 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Even if they haven't increased security in Norway, how the hell did he get an axe onboard? Do they not even send passangers through a metal detector prior to boarding? Are carry on bags not x-rayed?

posted on Feb, 28 2005 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by shots
Ah the old insanity plea. Never fails when they get caught red handed ya know.

Yeah, and he also claims he was flying in this plane because he wanted to pick potatoes (really, I´m not kidding). Maybe he got angry when he didn´t find any potatoes? Or maybe he found the plane to be a much better potato-picking tool than his knife and axe?

posted on Feb, 28 2005 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by sensfan
Do they not even send passangers through a metal detector prior to boarding? Are carry on bags not x-rayed?

Nope, not on small airports like this one. Too expensive...

posted on Feb, 28 2005 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Correction.
He did not use the axe which was standardequipment onboard.
He had his own axe and also a knife with him.
This axe:

how the hell do you bring THIS kind of axe (AND a knife) to an airplane,
and not be stopped?
this is very strange indeed.

posted on Feb, 28 2005 @ 12:51 PM
link   
HUmmmmm
ahaaa
HUMMMMMM

IMO that this was a manchurian candidate...

we will probably see a few more of these type of "rogue" incidents... afterall...
the US needs more supporters in the "war on terror" and Norway would be a good friend to have.

hellmut... the comment that he "blanked out" what had happened is kinda spooky... but it would also be a adequate response for a normal old kook as well

posted on Feb, 28 2005 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Really scary.

Makes me wonder just how many "small" airports in the wolrd do not practice any sort of checks on luggage or passengers.

The picture shows a large axe. Could have brought a large calibre gun on board. Really shocking.

posted on Feb, 28 2005 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by LazarusTheLong
afterall...
the US needs more supporters in the "war on terror" and Norway would be a good friend to have.

hellmut... the comment that he "blanked out" what had happened is kinda spooky... but it would also be a adequate response for a normal old kook as well

Norway IS already supporting the "war on terror". They sent troops and fighterplanes to Afghanistan, but many seems to have forgotten that. They just didn´t support the war on Iraq without the UN. "Bush told us to do it" wasn´t enough reason, and I kind of agree with that (UN or not)...

More spooky is that he spoke on a cellphone just before he stood up and attacked...

posted on Feb, 28 2005 @ 01:27 PM
link   

More spooky is that he spoke on a cellphone just before he stood up and attacked...

are we talking about "sleepers" here?
that IS scary!

posted on Feb, 28 2005 @ 03:12 PM
link   
the facts of the case:
he didn't know what was going on...
"woke up" after the fact
recieved a cell phone call before doing it...
I would REALLY like to know who called him? or who he called....

my first or second thought is still...

sleeper agent...
manchurian candidate style...
they aren't just for breakfast anymore...

posted on Mar, 3 2005 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Two shrinks and one neurologist stated that Ibrahim Bentera is not insane. His lawyer on the other hand asks the court to reject the experts statement and free his client. He claims his client was "unconsious" or "crazy" when he comitted the crime. The Lawyer says: "Free him", The Prosecutor says: "17 years in jail". If they free him, I will loose all respect for the justice-system in Norway...

Source: Aftenposten (in norwegian)

top topics

join