It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Take care of your thread participants people!! :(

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 11:25 AM
link   
This is actually a good rant. One worth reading, flagging and starring...

I've seen so many potentially great threads just roll off into obscurity due to the OP not tending their thread.

To me, starting a thread, is like planting a garden. If you don't tend to it, nurture it...it dies.

The folks here I have the most personal interaction with, are those who present a good thread, then participate with the posters who take an interest in what they have brought to the table.

Thread starters are the ones who breath life into their creations.

Des

edit on 6-5-2012 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by benrl
reply to post by juleol

Even though I agree with you I still don't understand why people care so much about stars. I could not care less how many stars I got. I just don't get what the fuss is about.

because as the OP said stars drive the popularity of the thread, recently stared post move up the ranks to the new topics page or recently what ever on the main pages of the sight.

So if you want a popular thread, make sure you appreciate the people who reply... Did you read the op?

I guess it makes more sense then. I always assumed it was the flags and stars of the OP that pushed the thread upwards.

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 08:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

Your Karma says you don't star a lot.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Well, to be honest here when I signed up I couldn't find anything explaining what the stars and flags meant.

I went to forum and searched which you would think there would be tons of information on but alas it was alot of "I think" and "Maybe its" . Not alot of facts though.

I also noticed that in some threads its more of a fight then a discussion so that I usually read up to a point and then realize its a cat fight I would rather not get involved in

But hey good rant I gave ya a star and a flag LOL!! And some people do take care of responding to the people that contribute but I think alot gets lost in the love of the fight!

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Sinny

What? No zombies?

You should find a way to work zombies into it.

Zombie threads are where it's at.

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 08:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

Woohoo free stars lol

Yeah, totally agree…

- JC

edit on 29-5-2012 by Joecroft because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

Well said. ............... If you start a thread, at least have the sand to stay with it and reward those who take time out of their day to respond. Seems pretty basic. I see lots of threads where people debate/banter back and forth and it seems sometimes that those people don't appreciate each other. I wonder sometimes if they realize that without the opposing point, that their words might not have any impact. yin-yang.

Myself, I star, flag and applaud on posts that engage others, and sometimes merely for a post that makes me laugh. I really don't have to agree with a post to appreciate and respect it.

posted on Jul, 7 2014 @ 03:23 AM
link   
are you saying I will get a star here?

is that what you meant?

stars are not essential in my opinion but like you said everyone like to get some.

I always star if I agree and/or it is something clever.

posted on Jul, 7 2014 @ 05:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Akragon

I agree - but it has to be consistent and include ALL replies, not just the ones you agree with.

The usual experience is that members who support the OP's argument get starred, and those that don't agree get no stars.

Another common experience - and this has always baffled me - is when I post a comment and it turns out to be the only comment on the thread that doesn't get starred...even when I'm agreeing with the OP.

It's obvious that I've gatecrashed a private party and the lack of stars is a form of social exclusion.

We all know that there are cliques on here and not starring your comments is a great way of saying, "You're not a member of our gang."

Personally, I would do away with stars and flags altogether and just have them privately posted to you, ie "CJCrawley gave you two stars" sort of thing.

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Honestly, I don't care about the stars...but lately I've begun giving stars to posters who disagree with me so long as they post well and not just some attack on me

but yeah, I am not here (anymore) to be agreed with...if someone puts out a well thought opposition to me, then fair play!

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Amen to that! I give at least one star, sometimes more to replies whether they agree with me or not, as long as they aren't being nasty and calling me a troll or drone, or shill (just some of the things I've been called)

posted on Dec, 6 2014 @ 11:30 AM
link   
I've read a few interesting threads today where the OP was given stars, flags, and plenty of intelligent discussion from members (yes! on ATS!!!111!!), but there were no stars for participants. Now stars are not "important", but they do serve as recognition, especially when an OP does not have the time or inclination to just say "yeah, agreed" or "thanks for commenting", which can interrupt the flow of discussion.

sooooo....

BUMP!

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 11:35 AM
link   
I always give people who respond to my threads a star, unless of course if they keep bashing someone. I don't really like starting threads, I would rather respond to others threads. I usually star and flag a thread if the content is interesting and give stars usually to people who respond to me....unless they are trying to intimidate me or others.
edit on 2-2-2015 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2022 @ 07:11 PM
link   

I just starred and flagged this.

See, stiill getting stars and flags from a great thread....years later!

If I reply to someone's OP I will SnF, unless I'm replying to let them know their OP sucks, lol.

Same with posts.

edit on 3/22/2022 by MykeNukem because: πŸš›πŸššπŸš›πŸššπŸš›πŸššπŸ›ΊπŸš›πŸšœπŸšœπŸš›πŸššπŸ›ΊπŸšœπŸš›

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join