It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: SpaceShipOne Succeeds at Trailblazing First Shot at $10 Million X Prize

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2004 @ 03:10 AM
link   

TOUCHDOWN! SpaceShipOne has landed safely, bringing Mike Melvill back to Earth after a seemingly frightening flight that experienced a major roll during the engine firing.

A photo compilation from the webcast is available at: Air-Attack.com

Space.com

MOJAVE, CALIFORNIA – In a mission that could herald a new era of space tourism, a privately built, three-person rocket ship flew to space and back today. The event was the first of two flights scheduled to capture the $10 million Ansari X Prize.

The flight had tense moments.

The purse goes to the first privately built vehicle that can haul a pilot and two passengers to the edge of space, then repeat the feat within two weeks, in this case by Oct. 13. SpaceShipOne’s design team, Scaled Composites based here at the Mojave Spaceport, said before the flight that they were ready to turn the vehicle around for reflight, perhaps making the second rocket run Oct. 4.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Related News

- New $50 Million Prize for Private Orbiting Spacecraft
- Virgin Astronauts
- SpaceShipOne Now with 20% more power
- SpaceShipOne Makes It To Space !!!

Related Websites
- Scaled Composites
- X-Prize.org
- Space.com X-Prize Full Coverage
- SpaceFlightNow.com FullCoverage
- Air-Attack.com SpaceShipOne page

[edit on 1-10-2004 by Banshee]

posted on Sep, 29 2004 @ 03:29 AM
link   
this is extremely good news indeed. It is a tribute to Burt Rutan and the long standing tradition of brilliant engineers and designers pioneering new boundaries in space in the US

drfunk

posted on Sep, 29 2004 @ 04:22 AM
link   
A new prize will be awarded in the amount of $50 million tot he first to build an orbital spacecraft. More info on this prize to come.

posted on Sep, 29 2004 @ 07:42 AM
link   
Hello All,

Its live now at Link

Marcus

posted on Sep, 29 2004 @ 08:38 AM
link   

White Knight Taxiing to the runway

Liftoff!!

White Knight with SpaceShipOne in Flight

In flight shot of SS1 (Click to expand)

SS1 in flight!!

Touchdown!!

[edit on 9-29-2004 by Zion Mainframe]

posted on Sep, 29 2004 @ 09:11 AM
link   
just taken off

also live on news.bbc.co.uk...

follow link on front page

[edit on 29-9-2004 by Popeye]

posted on Sep, 29 2004 @ 09:20 AM
link   
This is so cool!Hope they show the live on-board camshot.

posted on Sep, 29 2004 @ 09:30 AM
link   
I just saw the take off
started a thread about it right after take off but you beat me too it, man you guys are fast.

Did anyone eles see that Virgin Airlines has signed up with this company and will be offering space flights for $200,000. They showed a animation of spaceshipone with Virgin written on the sides it was pretty cool. They also said M&M and 7UP have also signed up.

I wonder if them bringing M&Ms up on the test flight had anything to do with them getting that sponser

posted on Sep, 29 2004 @ 09:31 AM
link   
They will. They show the aircraft every now and then.

But they will entirely show its release and boost to 62 miles.

posted on Sep, 29 2004 @ 09:45 AM
link   
This is the flight trajectory for the SS1 flight:

www.air-attack.com...

The unique configuration allows aircraft-like qualities for boost, glide, and landing.The ship converts (pneumatic-actuated 'feather') to a stable, high-drag shape for atmospheric entry.
This 'Care-Free' configuration allows a 'handsoff' reentry and greatly reduces aero/thermal loads.

Air-Attack.com SpaceShipOne page

posted on Sep, 29 2004 @ 10:01 AM
link   
$200,000....Hmmmm.What's the amount of zero-g time passengers would be experiencng?

posted on Sep, 29 2004 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Spaceshipone experienced major tumbling until it feathered it wing now more stable

posted on Sep, 29 2004 @ 10:17 AM
link   
1534 GMT (11:34 a.m. EDT)

TOUCHDOWN! SpaceShipOne has landed safely, bringing Mike Melvill back to Earth after a seemingly frightening flight that experienced a major roll during the engine firing.

1531 GMT (11:31 a.m. EDT)

Data and radar tracking information must be analyzed to confirm SpaceShipOne reached the 62-mile altitude defined by the X Prize contest. If the control system problem experienced during today's flight could be resolved, the ship would need to fly again within two weeks to win the $10 million prize.

1514 GMT (11:14 a.m. EDT)

The ship appears in a much smoother orientation following the major roll experienced at the end of the burn. The wings have feathered for the descent.

1512 GMT (11:12 a.m. EDT)

Altitude achieved was 330,000 feet, which was needed for the XPrize.

posted on Sep, 29 2004 @ 10:21 AM
link   
I was freakin' when it started rolling!Scary moment!

posted on Sep, 29 2004 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Touch down
Great job Scaled composite. I was alittle nervous when I saw it go into that roll but they landed it safely

PARALYZ I think you get a few minutes of zero-Gs but you also officially get your astronuat wings so its really more then a trip on the Vomit comet which in Russia cost a few thousand dollars

posted on Sep, 29 2004 @ 10:57 AM
link   
That makes two for Mike Melvill. I can't wait to hear about their issues with flight control systems. On the last launch their primary system went out and Melvill had to go to a backup system. On this one, it seems that, at least, the primary system went out, but maybe the secondary too. Fortunately, the feathering configuration provided sufficient drag to slow the roll to a controllable level, but for a minute ther it looked like we were going to end up with a dead pilot.

I wonder if he blacked out or maintained consciousness during the roll...

posted on Sep, 29 2004 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Mike Melvill said the roll didnt worry him so I dont think he blacked out. He also said it was a near perfect flight with no problems.

He also said the roll was " victroy roll " as he got alittle exited at the top of the flight

[edit on 29-9-2004 by ShadowXIX]

posted on Sep, 29 2004 @ 12:00 PM
link   
I compiled a nice page from all the screenshots I took from the live webcast

www.air-attack.com...

posted on Sep, 29 2004 @ 04:33 PM
link   
When that thing started rolling I thought it was going to go out of control and bust up. Wonder if the pilot got a close up of Asteroid 4179

top topics

join