It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mars - What is this? Pareidolia or a real face on Mars?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Soylent Green Is People

hmm I kinda do see it but it's not the same.

I was pretty close in on my OP. The detail changes abit... The size and scale of my pics and face were within about 5mts approx. The scale you are looking at in your picture is an entire cliff face at over 100mts.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Havick007
Show us the close-up then... come on I know you love it
That's as close up as possible without resizing the images, those are at 100% zoom.

Also it wasnt the google version it was the jpeg(standard) from the HiRise site, well actually actually I guess they are one in the same.
All the images in your post are Google images.

So what do I need to download almost 1.5Gb for 1 image?
Time.

That was pretty quick for you, you must have good b/width???
I didn't have to download the whole image, I used HiView. Although not as good as the previous program (I don't know why they replaced it), it also has the ability of only downloading what we are seeing and download only what it needs to show the image at that zoom level, so instead of waiting some 40 minutes (the time it usually take to download one of those JPEG2000 files) it only took some two or three.

Did you happen to have that image on stand-by or are you still waiting for it to download and "analyse" properly coz those images you posted weren't JP2, it was the same image with different color filters applied...
The images I posted are not JP2 because if they were they wouldn't appear on the page, I had to convert them to something else, in this case JPEG. And no, they are not the same image with different filters applied, those the greyscale (using the camera's Red filter), RGB (with what they call "synthetic blue" instead of blue) and IRB images.

Also you said "In your image it doesn't look like a face" that's fine coz your images weren;t the best... sorrry but it's true.

What about in my image, did it look like a face? Your honest opinion?
When I said "in your image" it meant on the images you posted, I was not talking about my images.

My honest opinion? Always.

It doesn't look like a face, neither on the images you posted from Google (they are terrible images, not only too zoomed in, which creates many artefacts, as they usually have too much contrast) or on the original JPEG2000 images.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Pauligirl

*SNAP*!

You nailed, 'girl':

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Oh and OP?

You 'nailed' it too:

"Mars - What is this? Pareidolia or a real face on Mars?"

.....with this.....:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 03:09 PM
link   
OP if you have a pair of anaglyph glasses, view your picture in 3d:

preview.tinyurl.com...

i can see the part you're pointing out, in great detail with depth.. pareidolia my friend

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by MurrayTORONTO

pareidolia

Most certainly....it is rampant, in our species.

"anaglyph glasses"? I have not a pair, in the house. Sorry.......but, I know what you intend......

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 03:30 PM
link   
I didn't see a face in the close up pics but your very first pic on the top it looks like a huge sideways face.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Thanks for the anaglyph, but the resolution is not enough to see the supposed face, so I can you say that you see it in great detail?

Edit: unless you are looking at the full scale image.
edit on 5/5/2012 by ArMaP because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Maybe if I drop some acid a face might appear.......wow that was a stretch even for some of the folks on here

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Havick007

looks like elmo in the 3rd picture :/

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by ArMaP

Thanks for the anaglyph, but the resolution is not enough to see the supposed face, so I can you say that you see it in great detail?

Edit: unless you are looking at the full scale image.
edit on 5/5/2012 by ArMaP because: (no reason given)

Yeah you have to click the image and it zooms in, if that's what you meant.

if you put your face right up close to your monitor you can see the 'face' the OP is seeing, just under the ridge to the right of the white part (in the middle of the pic)
edit on 5-5-2012 by MurrayTORONTO because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 05:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Havick007

'hmm I kinda do see it but it's not the same.'

Incorrect, it's exactly the same. You saw a face in a rock formation on Mars, he also saw a face in a rock formation in Mars.
The difference is, you're adding significance to it. Everyone else can see that it is just a rock formation on Mars. Go to a rocky world on the other side of the universe and you would still see human faces, it's the way the brain works.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 06:13 PM
link   
optical illusions with the rocks
i often see faces on random materials

but the real face on mars that we all know .. is questionable

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 06:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Soylent Green Is People

Funny I didn't see the face 'till it was pointed out.
But what I do see is a giant foot print above the brow line.
Does anyone else see what I do ?

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 07:20 PM
link   
That rock looks like a bird. That explains where Big Bird came from.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Ummm.....It looks quite a lot like a crater to me.

Not seeing a face at all.

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 01:49 AM
link   
Can anyone tell me how high that cliff is there? Facial recognition software aside, thats a sweet looking base jump. Or should I say a "basm" jump? Sorry about off topic and all, just stunned by that cliff on another world.

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 04:21 AM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

Also sorry for being off topic but if you want to see an epic jump look at Verona Rupes on Miranda (a moon of Uranus) recently (2007) estimated to have a 5 km drop though back in 1988 I guess the estimate was 10 km.

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 09:21 AM
link   

well so much for denying ignorance... As time goes on, this forum seems to increase in ignorance....

Kinda sad really

Huh? This.comment seemed to me to come out of nowhere! What exactly is it you are whining about? Are you being an ass to DJW who shared something he found interesting about mars? Or are you being an ass to the person who politely responded to your request for an analysis of your other photo? Are you mad that they didn't see what you wanted them to see? Cause I didn't see bullspit in either of your photos. The first or the second. But I sure as hell did see the flaming skull with teeth the other poster pointed out! I guess I must be another one of the ignorant... Unable to see your face... You're right. It's sad. Soo sad. I think I'll go cry about it now... By the way, your first picture, why don't you point out the nose, eyes, etc? It looks to me like a mix between Gonzo the Muppet Baby, and the Cookie Monster, but with a crazy extended smile to one side.

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Hi All,

I was not going to post this but after seeing that post about glass dunes on Mars I thought maybe I should share....

Glass dunes prove nothing in regard to life on Mars... Heat and sand = glass....

To the topic;

First of all I will show a top down view and move closer in and also share a link to the raw image courtesy of HiRise. I would like to know what you guys think

Raw Image (HiRise Link -)

hirise.lpl.arizona.edu...

Greyscale Jpeg Raw

I'm open to opinion!
Also remember at this scale, it's very close to some large statues we have today on Earth... or large people

This isn't some massive face, it's very close to the scale we would use on statues and large sculptures.

As always happy hunting on M

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by 3n19m470

fantastic and quality post....

Sarcastic right...

edit on 6-5-2012 by Havick007 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join