It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mysterious flames erupt from earth

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 12:36 AM
link   
.. and the sirens ring, the mist encroaches and darkness arrives. The wailing of demon children screaming echoes across the empty streets, and from the shadows the pyramidhead slowly creeps, his large axe in hand. ready to take what is only known to him... your flesh.

dunno but I'd move !!

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 12:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by fixer1967

Originally posted by zayonara
That does look like a strange place to bury garbage.

Not for those people. It is a wonder he did not bury garbage in the house

Your ignorance is matched by the stupidity in your post.

The country is Sri Lanka. and the people there I dare say are far more intelligent that you could ever hope to achieve.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 09:11 AM
link   
WOW!!! FREE ENERGY.

I'd have some pipes in there by now and use it for heating.....oooops, there probably coming to get me now.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 09:12 AM
link   
Could it be hidden remains of the WTC?
Fires that burned for months underground, ya know?

Figured I'd try it out.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 10:22 AM
link   
I dont know if this could be significant but if you compost yard waste you know that the compost heap can generate quite a bit of heat. If there were dry waste heaped on top of an already established compost heap even if its buried might create enough heat to ignite the garbage.
I've seen mulch smolder in the summer heat and start fires.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 10:23 AM
link   
reply to post by goochball

Good point. Creepy avatar....

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Someone should put a shed over the hole and use it to smoke meats and fish-set up a little shop out front,and watch the money roll in...no bills for the smoker either.
Except it may well taste disgusting depending on what it is that's burning.
Maybe they should just use it to heat water-they could have a coffee shop instead.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 11:42 AM
link   
I would like to know:

Is there a distinct 'smell' or odor?

Alot can be told by this initial observation.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 11:42 AM
link   
This is a very big news.

1.Sri Lanka is an equatorial country, rains all the time, underground fire should have hard time to exist.
2.The hole is pretty shallow, why they didnot notice smoke, heat whatever before ?
3.Fire is burning as in the video - the fire is new, unlike coal like burning, this one got flame, pretty flammable stuff.
4.The fire gives off lots of smokes, meant whatever burning there is pretty light - wood, leaves etc instead of coal.
5.Since the fire was "found" not "ignited" means its already burning, what burns without much oxygen ?
6.Looks like the fire burns without much oxygen, wiping it out will be much much much harder, just like burning coal pit.

We need to keep tab on this, just like the weird sounds. Continuous info/breakthrough greatly appreciated.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Kinniya is a town quite close to the eastern shores in Sri Lanka. There are a number of places in Sri Lanka with natural gas reserves, but, the commercial viability is not yet known. There was an instance where a guy tried to dig a tube well for water and instead hit a mini gas reserve! click here for the article But even in that case, the fire was lit by someone. What I don't understand here is, even if there is natural gas, how did the fire light up? Coz the article says that smoke and fire came out as he was digging......

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Powdered phosphorous, causes violent reaction when it hits air. Makes the white smoke. Where are the chemists and botanist they now this!
Oh I forgot the illusionists and Iga know this too.

edit on 5-5-2012 by 5thElementWisdom because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by 5thElementWisdom
Powdered phosphorous, causes violent reaction when it hits air. Makes the white smoke. Where are the chemists and botanist they now this!
Oh I forgot the illusionists and Iga know this too.

edit on 5-5-2012 by 5thElementWisdom because: (no reason given)

Hmm most probably that. Cause fire looks pretty much "just ignited" plus smokes!

Well good news is he got himself a natural incinerator instead of burying, wow.
Bad news is, might have to relocate.
should put a fence and sell tickets to see "divine/hellish fire", sell burnt earth as amulets/souvenir etc

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Well, they're either very brave...or not thinking it through. There have been a couple sections of U.S. Interstate fail due to those underground coal fires. One was in Ohio, years ago. If fire is that close to the surface....so logic would say..is air to feed it. Air would be a gap...maybe a BIG one...directly under their feet.

I'll bet they just haven't thought of it yet.
They don't look like the crazy brave types in the picture. lol

edit on 5-5-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Its amazing a real mystery such as this goes unnoticed through the ranks of ATS but a plethora of speculative and nonsensical posts get the attention when its clear the subject matter has no evidence or point of discussion. For instance "has god ever answered your prayers"

An idiotic thread like that will get a thousand pointless comments and 50 pages in will have added nothing to the quality of this forum. But a genuine mystery like this comes along and people just brush it off as inconsequential. People really have lost their sense of curiosity. I'll be in Sri Lanka on vacation in December. You better believe i'll be checking in on this location when I do get there.

I'm sure there are are least a few Sri Lankans on this forum. I know of a couple. I wonder if they are up for a road trip to the east coast.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 10:08 PM
link   
I reckon it is a burning underground electrical wires. Had the same thing happen outside my house around Fireworks night. Saw the smoke coming out of the ground, initially thought it was a cracker smouldering. Placed water on the area and the smoke continued.

Called the local fire station, who thought that it may be burning underground power lines. And it was. Plenty of smoke like in the video. Once he had dug down to the burning line - it ignited into a flame. He also stated that they can explode, leaving a large crater.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 10:20 PM
link   
I remember stories on this roughly a year ago, people first started noticing it in fields, in little patches, and the locals were mystified and freaking out about it. I honestly cannot remember if it was somewhere in South America or the Middle East, but it involved farmers and townspeople who found it in nearby fields. This was on some alternative news site (like extinction protocol or the like) about a year or so ago, wish I could remember what and where, exactly.

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 12:54 AM
link   
Ok my family were skyping with some relatives who live in the capital. They had not heard about it but suggested it might have something to do with the hot baths in the area. So it seems there is geo thermal activity in the area. How hot baths would relate to burning earth is beyond me. If there is lava that close to the surface it defies everything we think we know about the earth. I'll look into this more when I get home.

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 06:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by TiM3LoRd
Ok my family were skyping with some relatives who live in the capital. They had not heard about it but suggested it might have something to do with the hot baths in the area. So it seems there is geo thermal activity in the area. How hot baths would relate to burning earth is beyond me. If there is lava that close to the surface it defies everything we think we know about the earth. I'll look into this more when I get home.

Ok so it turns our there are Hot springs in the vicinity of the earth fire. Just a quick search on Google brings this up on Wiki

Hot springs There are the seven hot springs of Kanniya (Kal = stone; niya = land), on the road to Trincomalee. A high wall bounds the rectangular enclosure which includes all seven springs. Each is in turn enclosed by a dwarf wall to form a well. The water is warm, the temperature of each spring being slightly different. The use of the springs for bathing is controlled by the neighbouring Mari Amman Kovil, who holds the lease of the wells

link

So we can rule out coal fires. There are no known coal deposits in that area from my current research. It seems the biggest mineral export of the country is Graphite but not in the location of the fire. Based on my digging (pun intended) this all points to geo thermal activity as the only logical conclusion unless someone can come up with evidence to suggest something else.

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 07:36 AM
link   
Is this the same country where, a few months ago, they beat a woman to death because they thought she was a witch? Is this the same country where people are still driven away from towns and villages for being demons or possessed? I noticed that the hole he dug is perfect! Perfectly round and evenly deep. Leads me to believe first off, this isn’t his first hole digging experience. Second, the thing must have started to burn after he was done digging. Maybe he hit a gas main? What we will probably find out is that back long ago when the evil white man countries were colonizing the world to try to turn everyone white, they dumped chemicals in the ground there. After years of poisoning the land and atmosphere they left and the indigenous people of the land wanted to go back to reclaim their land but were poisoned instead. This lead them to not being able to drink the water, and they started to use a lot of chick peas in their food and curry because their taste buds have been damaged from the water and chick peas they ate. Also they have an irresistible urge to go visiting so often that their busses can’t hold everyone and they need to put people on top of them.

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 07:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by D1Useek
Is this the same country where, a few months ago, they beat a woman to death because they thought she was a witch? Is this the same country where people are still driven away from towns and villages for being demons or possessed? I noticed that the hole he dug is perfect! Perfectly round and evenly deep. Leads me to believe first off, this isn’t his first hole digging experience. Second, the thing must have started to burn after he was done digging. Maybe he hit a gas main? What we will probably find out is that back long ago when the evil white man countries were colonizing the world to try to turn everyone white, they dumped chemicals in the ground there. After years of poisoning the land and atmosphere they left and the indigenous people of the land wanted to go back to reclaim their land but were poisoned instead. This lead them to not being able to drink the water, and they started to use a lot of chick peas in their food and curry because their taste buds have been damaged from the water and chick peas they ate. Also they have an irresistible urge to go visiting so often that their busses can’t hold everyone and they need to put people on top of them.

What the hell are you talking about?

Chick peas and crowded buses? What? Beating people to death? First slow down.

Now read ALL and I mean ALL the posts. Then let the information digest a bit. Now SLOWLY think about what your thoughts are based on the information provided by everyone so far. This should help you formulate a coherent thought based on the subject matter being discussed.

If this doesnt help just ask any one of us on this thread for an explanation of what exactly is confusing you. I would be glad to help.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join