It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Need help with Meditation.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 07:47 PM
link   
finding a comfortable position i find to be the hardest thing in meditation, still not able to the full lotus postion!!!

U can start with your legs crossed and let the joint between your wrist and forearm sit on your knee's, palms down.
This helps balance you. Now your back will not be completely straight at the beginning but about 10 minutes in you'll feel an urge to straighten your back. By then you'll only be half aware of your body and the comfortable position will no longer be an issue. Put a small pillow under your to elevate if you find your ankles get sore/cramped.

For the concentration side of things. You could try the candle exercise someone listed above, this helps attune to your 3rd eye. which is usually the baseline start to meditation.
You may find it hard to keep your eyes closed at the start, they may flicker, the may wanna pop open, just stay persistent and eventually it will dissipate.

Another exercise is to try listen to your inner current. You cut out all other sounds and focus inwards, eventually you will hear a HUM, this can sound like many things. But when you hear this you focus on it which also helps.

Failing all those, go on mind expanding music on DI Radio and put some headphones on. This will get you used to it
good luck on your journeys

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Just think about what is. You don't need a special place. You only need to focus on what is most important and why you might want stuff. Meditation is a way to combat wants which keep you in this perpetual circle of existence. Meditation is a way to escape the infinite desire for stuff.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 09:32 PM
link   
These days I do several things I can recommend. If you are interested I will elaborate. I did TM for 30 years and sidhis for over 10 and now my main practice is Falun Gong movements, Kuji-In mudras with the Buddhist Sanksrit empowerment mantras (all this closed eyes) and Zen with slightly open eyes, Korean fashion. You can give a koanlike question to yourself is every time you breathe in - What am I? Or What is this?
Don't ask Who am I because that leads to unnecessary speculations.
Trying to put thoughts out with other thoughts is like putting fire out with gasoline.
Kuji-In is empowerment of the 9 hand mudras of the Ninjas but it usually calms you and centers you.
The free stuff pdf Maha Technique here www.mahavajra.be... gives you exact description.
Falun Gong can be seen and learned for free on their web site www.falundafa.org

It is easier to do meditation after mantras and mudras and sacred movements.
Listen to a long dharani on youtube on kwanumzen.org Then meditate with the question.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 09:36 PM
link   
After the Gong, I usually do nine sutras from the TM Sidhi collection. If you are interested I can copy a description of the technique here. Also you may try common Hindu mantras like Mahamrityunjaya with shivashaktiyaikya rupinam.
I think the sidhis are the most calming and you can get the technique in one sitting - they are in your native language. Shaivite mantras are good as are Buddhist mantras like those used with Kuji In.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 10:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Jauk3

there are many kinds of meditation
some of the stuff i'm seeing posted here is advanced stuff

start with the basics
How to Access Superconsciousness - full low res

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 10:39 PM
link   
I can only lie down to mediate, and do it lots, for example I meditate usually for 1-3 hours. Sometimes I do fall asleep for a short while.

I really suggest theta, find ones you like on youtube, download and convert to mp3 or something you can put on, and dolphins/whale song, or hemisync, there are many types. Mine is on repeat play so as not to cause any surprises.

Cover your eyes with something and get warm and comfortable and spend a bit of time praying if you have faith in Family overhead watching, or talking to your Higher Self, asking for help to deprogram and even setting intentions with your meditations. Send healing and love and prayers for others, and the world. Say you're sorry, really unwind, and seek for solutions in your life.

See yourself like the sun, and see the rays of the sun, flowing through your body and off of you, your now shining like a star, and see that infinite photon energy of High Frequency Love sheilding you, bubbling you in an infinite shield that nothing can ever penetrate, not even a thousnd million universes combined in force. infinite shield.

Then the thoughts, I don't usually have them take off on me anymore, but you can also tell yourself things.

I would really look into some of the inductions for hypnosis, and deepenings, and be your own self hypnosis guide, so you can suggest to yourself that you are able to allow thoughtst to flow like a river without paying too much attention, just flowing and relaxing, so you don't fight with them.

Self hypnosis is also akin to deep meditation.

You can find many ways of meditating one technique is to strive to be like a still pond and see your reflection in it, and sit by the pond waiting to meet with Higher Self, or any number of techniques.

One could be, with the soulshine/sunshine coming off you, all the photons is to see yourself on a cloud rising into that light, higher and higher frequency climbing as many levels as you can into the light, to find an area, be it a still pond, wooded glade, high up city, but a place to wait for HS, to ask for a meeting with Higher Self, adn to simply pray and send light to the world for healing purposes.

One can get many ideas for suggestions from hypnosis scripts

www.hypnosense.com...

www.key-hypnosis.com...

www.key-hypnosis.com...

www.mindpowernews.com...

www.magiczilla.com...

www.wikihow.com...

Create your own recorded guided meditaiton and create your own script, you can also just rewrite anything you like and add alpha to theta to delta on audacity program.

www.selfgrowth.com...

www.wingmakers.co.nz...

lots of cools ideas here.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 12:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jauk3
I try to meditate, but every time I can not sit comfortable. I tried to sit on my bed against the wall but I'm still not sitting comfortable and can not fully relax. Also, every time I try to meditate I have a lot of thoughts in my head, how can I get rid of these thoughts and get complete silence in my head? sort of like being in a zen state, total unawareness of the world around you.
My ultimate goal with meditation is to get calmer and more patient, and to look at the world differently, but I cannot come any further like this.
edit on 4-5-2012 by Jauk3 because: My English is not the greatest I know

All of the previous posts will do nothing but confuse you.
Ignore them.
The posters may indeed be spiritual or meditators but they cannot
explain what meditation is.

There is only one explanation.
Meditation is Radical Understanding of Ones Own Actions in the Present Moment.
One cannot "do" Meditation. One can only find that one is Already Meditating.
Meditation is Divine Grace.
Meditation is the Natural State of Reality.
Non Reality is Seeking.
When you Understand this Profoundly you may
naturally fall into that state of Grace that is No Seeking.
God is No Seeking. God is the Supreme Meditator.
That is Love/Bliss/Fullness.
The Ego Self is the Illusion of Seeking.
This is explained in The Knee of Listening by Adi Da.
Read this book and you will Understand.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 04:37 AM
link   
I've read all the replies and Wow! thank you for all the information and help. I never thought I would get this much replies and help, I will keep on trying with meditation.
Last night I finally found a better place to sit, this helped alot. I still had alot of thoughts but slowly I felt them fading away.
edit on 5-5-2012 by Jauk3 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Hope this helps:

Your Spiritual Revolution Thread Series: Meditation for beginners

peace, love and light,
let u guide by higher i

Jim Irie

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Two words: brainwave entrainment.
I'm using Neuro-programmer.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by JimIrie

Thank you Jim, right now I am in part III. I'll read further tomorrow, it's interesting to read.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kokatsi
After the Gong, I usually do nine sutras from the TM Sidhi collection. If you are interested I can copy a description of the technique here. Also you may try common Hindu mantras like Mahamrityunjaya with shivashaktiyaikya rupinam.
I think the sidhis are the most calming and you can get the technique in one sitting - they are in your native language. Shaivite mantras are good as are Buddhist mantras like those used with Kuji In.

Kokatsi, i am interested in this if you could be ever so kind to post

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 09:39 PM
link   
It is the Surrender of self providing the gift of nothingness to the Presence. All are in Communion. It is our directive choice to be unaware of it. You only need to take possession of what you and everyone already has.

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Who said you had to sit you can sit down stand up what ever feels right to you.Also try to have a candle pr a night light to have a dim lite helps.then what you should do is just concentrate on breathing!

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 10:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Jauk3

If you like Yoga, the remains of Pavitra's Notebook (one-fourth of it has been destroyed, unfortunately) could help you a little.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 12:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jauk3
My ultimate goal with meditation is to get calmer and more patient, and to look at the world differently, ...

You can also meditate on what Peter Brown says
. As i already said, he's like Sri Aurobindo but on steroids.
There's multiple avenues...

edit on 7-5-2012 by D1ss1dent because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 02:28 AM
link   
Great advice here. I didn't finish reading everybody's post so if this was mentioned, I apologize.

Like others have said, you must be comfortable. You have to realize that meditation doesn't necessarily means you have to sit Indian style with your hands cupped and your back straight.

You can literally be in any position, including lying down. That's pretty risky though many people tend to fall asleep in that position lol. I've only successfully done it once.and it didn't last long. I was in what would be called "the hypnagogic state" which is kind of what your aiming for. Try to do whatever works for you.

I sit Indian style with my back against a wall, the only problem with that is that when I get into it, my head will fall down and I hinder myself because my body automatically reacts to lift my head up, I'm trying to fix that. I still get decent results though.

I guess some extra advice would be.. when you first start a session try to ask yourself questions out loud, not scream them but mutter to yourself gently. I find that the vibrations of my thoughts when uttered increases my overall vibration.

Then when you find yourself not asking anymore questions, ask this question: "What will my next thought be?"

Usually my mind will go blank then I let myself go and just breathe and observe what is happening inside of me. Colors, random shapes, places. I just go with the flow. However, usually after 30 minutes, I reach a peak of vibration.... Not sure what to do after that. I tend to open my eyes in hopes that I'm out of body lol. I'm starting to think I can only do it through lucid dreaming, but its fine.

I think I've rambled too much :/

Best of luck to you friend.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 11:22 AM
link   
The best advice I can give you is this:

Observe and accept.

Don't try to force yourself into a meditative state by attempting to stop your thoughts from coming in. Just acknowledge each and every thought that comes to mind and accept it. Don't fight it. Let them come and let them go. The more you do this, you will begin to realize that they are slowing down and will decide not to bother you anymore.

A technique I'm very fond of that could help you is observing the sensations around your body. I personally like to lay down, relax and notice every single sensation that may be there or not. Don't judge or analyze it, just observe what IS.

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Has anyone read the book...."Meditation for the Love of it" by Sally Kempton??

This book was highly recommended by Dr. Melissa West (PhD not MD) on her website. Some mixed reviews on Amazon, but mostly 4-5 stars. I always like to hear feedback directly from those who have read the book, as opposed to what is posted at the point of sale website.

www.amazon.com...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1336948611&sr=8-1

If you have read other books, or good cds, on meditation please share those as well.

Namaste,
YogaGinns

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 07:32 PM
link   
This is just out of my own curiosity.. but may help the OP along their Way.

Out of those of you who set aside specific times and ceremonies for meditation, do you practice the.. lets call them states of awareness, that are "learned" or "remembered" outside of the practice of meditation? Do you do this actively? As in, working towards a constant, mindful state (whatever it may be).

What do you feel are the disadvantages and advantages to such an attempt?

Hard to word such things, obviously.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join