It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SPLC: “We’re not really set up to cover the extreme Left.”

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 01:07 PM
link   
This really is priceless. This organization that I believe is itself a hate group, readily admits that they dont really investigate or cover issues that are caused by the left, which in my opinion means that they focus on the right.

Link

“Isn’t that exactly what happened in Cleveland?” I asked. “These five men, all linked with Occupy Wall Street, attempted to blow up a bridge as an overture to the wholesale destruction of Cleveland, Ohio, and in the name of anarchism. They also looked to blow up the Republican convention.” “They were anarchists,” he repeated. “Yes?” He paused. “We’re not really set up to cover the extreme Left.” This was at least honest. He must have heard me thinking, becau

In light of the May Day arrests of the Cuyahoga 5, the Occupy Wall Street–affiliated group of men who planned to blow up a bridge in Cleveland, Ohio, I called the Southern Poverty Law Center to find out of they had any plans to start tracking the Occupy movement. The first person I spoke to was so shocked by the question that she paused for a good 15 seconds before promising to put me in touch with a representative. This she eventually did, however, and after a game of cat-and-mouse — the person she’d found for me was busy “hosting an international conference on right-wing extremism,” natch — we managed to touch base and I to pose the question: “Do you have any plans to start tracking Occupy Wall Street after a hate group tried to blow up a bridge?” “No, I don’t think so,” he said. “We blogged it right away when it happened.” I asked him why he thought this deserved only a blog post, and he explained that the SPLC only deals with “hatred of people based on class characteristics,” which a little more pushing revealed meant “immutable characteristics such as

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 01:27 PM
link   
How do I spell hypocrisy?
S - P - L - C
They started out as an anti-klan organization tracking white nationalists but they have since degenerated in to the ADL's attack dog.
Only right wingers and conservatives need to fear them.
Like the Justice Department under Obama they turn a blind eye to the acts of the radical left.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 01:29 PM
link   
So what?

I can guarantee you they're are organizations that only watch the left, and ignore what extreme righties do.
OWS is no doubt being watched like a hawk, why does it matter if one organization isn't watching them?

What's the point of this thread? To further exacerbate the political divide? The fake right-left paradigm works like a charm.

The Southern Poverty Law Center (SPLC) is an American nonprofit civil rights organization noted for its legal victories against white supremacist groups; legal representation for victims of hate groups; monitoring of alleged hate groups, militias and extremist organizations; and educational programs that promote tolerance.[3][4][5] The SPLC classifies as hate groups organizations that denigrate or assault entire groups of people, typically for attributes that are beyond their control.[6]

from wiki

It doesn't sound like the watch the extreme right either, in a political sense. It sounds non-partisan and it sounds like they stay out of political affairs. That's probably why he was so confused when you asked if they were watching OWS. OWS isn't going after a group of people, unless you count bankers and wall street execs as people....which I don't.

edit on 4-5-2012 by Ghost375 because: (no reason given)

edit on 4-5-2012 by Ghost375 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Well, groups like the Earth and Animal Liberation Front's don't get off scott free. The FBI still gets a little offended when a group torches a whole Hummer dealership or a new subdivision, although I guess new construction isn't such a problem anymore after Bush and Obama. (sigh)

It sure is nice for the SPLC to come right out and admit they are a partisan, highly polarized organization. Someone reading their ....ahem.. Data... Might get the impression the left side of politics doesn't have an extreme side at all.

I know right where to go for everything related to hate or the least bit of discontent coming from the right though. If my town is just over-run by a local militia any time soon, I'll know just what site to look them up on.

It's probably also accurate to say these guys are like so many other things where they started for all the right reasons with the best of intentions..and just kinda went splat and became something gooey and downright nasty over time. Ewww...

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Ghost375

What's the point of this thread? To further exacerbate the political divide? The fake right-left paradigm works like a charm.

The point is that they are biased and your kidding yourself if you dont think so. Its no different than the media biase on politics or racial issues.
I believe the poster above you is correct. The SPCL and the ADL are pretty much one in the same as they both lean to one side (left) and ignore the other.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 07:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Juggernog

SPLC is nothing but a ultra progressive liberal entity used to demonize and attack legitimate conservative causes. According to the SPLC I'm a terrrrrist because I'm a registered Libertarian with a Gadsden flag in my yard. They don't track "leftist" groups, or most minority groups, because it doesn't fit into their ultra progressive objectives.

It is ironic that a group that claims to fight "bigotry" is in fact one of the biggest bigots in the country.

top topics

join