It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Bear and The Frog

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 12:00 PM
link   
An odd, but strong, friendship there once was. A bear was walking through the forest, on his way north. At the same time, a frog was hopping through this same forest on his way south.

As they were about to pass each other, the frog heard rumbling. The frog, seeing the bear, started to hop away in the opposite direction in which he had been heading, scared. The bear started to laugh. The frog, hearing this laugh, stopped and said, "What are you laughing at bear?". With a big grin, the bear replied, "It was only the grumbling of my stomach that you heard frog!". "I am also hungry bear.", said the frog. "Shall we eat together then?", replied the bear. "I travel far to the south to eat the flies that live there. But it is swampy, you will surely sink.", warned the frog. "I travel far to the north to eat the berries that grow there. But it is cold, you will surely freeze.", warned the bear. "I can ride upon your back and stay warm in your fur.", said the frog. "I can follow you, you know the safe ground.", replied the bear. Then, at the same time, they both said, "We shall eat flies and berries!".

With smiles upon their faces they set forth on their journey. They went south first, with the bear being careful to follow the frog closely once into the wetlands. When they finally arrived at the frog's feeding grounds, the frog stated sadly, "No flies again this year, I am sorry bear.". "No worries.", replied the bear, "Jump on my back, lets go eat some berries!". Tucked safely away under the bear's fur, the frog traveled north with the bear. Both of their stomachs were rumbling worse than ever, upon arriving at the bear's berry patch, the bear also had bad news. "All the berries are gone! I am so sorry frog.", said the bear. "It is ok bear, this journey has filled my heart more than food could ever fill my belly.", replied the frog. "And mine also, my friend.", said the bear, as the frog's last breath left his body.

With the frog still cuddled safely within the bear's fur, the bear traveled back south to find softer grounds in which to bury the frog. Coming into a clearing, the bear saw something beautiful, but also filled his heart with sadness. Thousands of flies were flying in this field. Off to the side, the bear buried the frog, as tears streamed down his furry cheeks.

Moving closer to the center of the clearing, the bear noticed many frogs happily eating flies. "Why do you not all hop away?", questioned the bear. "Your fur smells of a frog, not your breath.", said one of the frogs. "You look hungry.", said another frog, "Come, eat with us!". With a laugh, the bear replied, "Bears do not eat flies.". "Ah yes, bears eat berries, follow us, we will show you a most excellent berry patch!", boasted another frog.

The bear followed the hopping frogs. Not far off, underneath a half shaded section of the forest, was the biggest berry patch the bear had ever seen. As they arrived, the bear said, "Please eat with me, it would be an honor.". Hoardes of laughs arose, as one of the frogs said, "Frogs do not eat berries!". The bear could only stare blindly into the distance, as the frogs hopped away. Not feeling hungry anymore, like his friend earlier, the bear's last breath left his body, a smile upon his face.
edit on 4-5-2012 by dananni because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 12:05 PM
link   
An excellent story. Very moving, and an enjoyable read.

One critisism...break it up into paragraphs for ease of reading.

I look forward to reading more of your contributions to the Short Story forum.

S&F

edit on 4-5-2012 by isyeye because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by isyeye
An excellent story. Very moving, and an enjoyable read.

One critisism...break it up into paragraphs for ease of reading.

I look forward to reading more of your contributions to the Short Story forum.

S&F

edit on 4-5-2012 by isyeye because: (no reason given)

Thank you. I am horrible at formatting. Practice is needed.

Note: I went back and tried to fix it.
edit on 4-5-2012 by dananni because: (no reason given)

join