It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Contact Lens Solutions after a collapse...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Ok, it's the collapse, you've stockpiled some bottles so your contact lenses are good but...

What happens after you run out??

Sure just wear some glasses is one fix BUT what is a good DIY solution that we, as survivalists / preppers can make in the field / home to replace the commercial stuff?
Water does keep contact lenses soft and moist which is good, but it won't clean them.

Let's get our heads together, people who work in the pharma industry your voice may be useful...
edit on 4-5-2012 by WatchRider because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Glasses glasses glasses.

Or do without.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 11:11 AM
link   
I heard saliva could be an option in worst case but I'm not a doctor, don't know what the deal is with bacteria in your mouth getting into your eye...

Edit: I mean saliva to quickly clean contacts if you have to. I didn't mean long term storage of contacts in saliva. That would be somewhat...disturbing.
edit on 4-5-2012 by Swizzy because: Cleaning up statement

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Solution won't prolong life of your contacts much.
So either stockpile for rest of your life, and discuss storage options and expiry date, get a few spare glasses or laser eye surgery pronto.
I wear contacts all the time so I gave this thought good few times already

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Most eye doctors carry stockpiles of the throw away lenses or one a day contacts, in various prescriptions...

I'd suggest raiding a local lens crafters or something in a collapse, most likely a low priority or something people wouldn't think of in a shtf scenario.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Swizzy
I heard saliva could be an option in worst case but I'm not a doctor, don't know what the deal is with bacteria in your mouth getting into your eye...

Cleaning contacts with saliva is good for emergency situation, I had to do it one time when my contact fell onto ground in wilderness
. Unless you have some serious mouth disease nothing bad should happen.

However spitting in container and keeping contacts in there is a big no-no.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Definitely just get a few good pairs of glasses. They're much more durable and practical than contacts, especially in that sort of situation.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by stainlesssteelrat

That's what I meant
I just edited my post to make it clear I didn't mean to make it sound like I wanted to store contacts in saliva long term
Realised in hindsight I wasn't being very clear

link   
reply to post by benrl

Looting is not a good alternative to properly preparing.
Many will be shooting looters.

link   
In a pinch I have used water with a little table salt to keep them overnight until I could get to the store. So that is an option. As far as contacts lenses I would have to say that unless you stock up and (like me) wear them for longer than they recommend, then I would get a pair of glasses or two. There are some very good websites zennioptical? where you can get them for VERY CHEAP, you just need to know your script and stock up like crazy.
edit on 4-5-2012 by lilowl53 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Distilled water, salt and if applicable a bit of hydrogen peroxide diluted.

Better to just get some nice bombproof prescription goggles like Wileys and keep them with your BOB and gear.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Man, really great question. I've been buying my disposables in as big an order as I can, and if things hit the fan I've got a pretty good stock of them. I'm supposed to wear them daily and throw out, but if stuff goes wrong, I could easily stretch that out to 4 or 5 days for each pair. That would give me a few years with the stock I have. Sadly I'd be carrying around an entire bookbag of contact lenses, lol. In that time, well, let's hope I find some glasses.

I've also been looking at these videos of how to improve vision using yoga-like techniques. May be slow-going but maybe it could help? Big question mark there, but maybe.

Lasik is also on the horizon for me. I'm sorta waiting for my FSA funds to build up so I can swing it. Hoping maybe to pull that off before the end of this year, hope that is good enough.

I've been better at prepping for food and water, admittedly.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by AnonymousCitizen

Lol yes I am sure the corporate owned retail companies, with retail managers making crap wages, will surely want to protect the local lens crafters...

I've managed retail no company has any kind of "defense " strategy for a shtf scenario...

I'd be worried about other looters more than any actual law enforcement...

Besides arnt we talking complete collapse of society? In a situation where you are worried about losing all access to staples of every day life most likely the authority's will be in. Similar state of duress as the rest of us...

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Seeing as the lens solution itself is a complex formula, good luck making your own.
Not to sound negative but this is almost a form of common sense.

Instead of frivalously spending money elsewhere, a person could save and get surgery.
The only longterm solution, it seems, is actually PRK or Lasic eye surgery.

The other option is to go get your prescription renewed and buy a set of sports glasses.
The ones that are the toughest and won't break...etc.
Then pack them away in case of an emergency.

People have to remember one thing in survival...
All your luxuries will be gone.

Contact lenses are a luxury.

ps: I saved my butt off for 4 years and got the surgery.
I did not procrastinate and I set my priorities straight when it came to money.
Buy new shoes? Nah...I need good eyes.
Buy new clothes? Nah...I need good vision.
Buy an LCD TV? Nah...
Still have cable? Nah...
See the point here?
I am still wearing the same apparel since 2007.
Because I decided to pay for something that will last longer than contacts.

But to each, their own.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 11:59 AM
link   
I have heard that Lasik surgery and related ones "wear off" over a period of years....

Researching it just now for the sake of this post, I've learned that the more severe your eyesight correction, the more likely it is to wear off. And even if it doesn't, you may still need reading glasses, after age 45 or so....

Glasses remain the standard.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 12:21 PM
link   
It would behove you to buy a few good pairs of glasses then worry about contact solution. Whatever scenario plays out when SHTF you need to be prepared for the long haul (years). Contacts will only last you for so long until you just can't wear then anymore, solution or none. This is my biggerst fear, because at the moment, I have NO glasses and just wear contacts. If something were to happen today I would be s**t out of luck. Without contacts or glasses I am practically blind -9.0 right -8.0 left eye. So I would have to depend on other people in order for me to survive. So soon as I can afford it I am investing in some good glasses just in case!

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

We're getting way off track here (sorry OP), but I just wanted to mention that if your preps mainly consist of identifying target for future looting, you may have an unpleasant and/or short post-SHTF time frame to worry about.

And yes, in this situation I do believe you are very much correct in that other looters would be the bigger threat than store security, especially in such a looter-infested haven as a pharmacy.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by WatchRider

Go to glasses...seriously. Most contacts these days are disposable anyhow, so you're looking at a very finite supply, even if you stockpiled.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 06:54 PM
link   
If it ever comes to that, I'll be switching over to my glasses. Realistically, I don't think I could ever stockpile years worth of them, and I definitely don't want even the small risk of a contact-related eye infection or something in a situation where medical services may be hard to find. Also along those lines, glasses would also provide some degree of eye protection as well. I usually have slightly better vision with contacts, but that doesn't outweigh the negatives for me.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 09:22 PM
link   
You could always save some money up and get Lasiks surgery. I know people who no longer need glasses or contacts.
Of course there are possible dangers associated with this type of procedure. Research it and you might decide that this is a viable option. I have been considering it for a while but I am still too chicken. The current pair of contacts I am wearing have been in my eyes for 6 months. I have no problem with them. The Doc keeps telling me how bad it is, but every time I get my eyes checked out he says they are fine.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join