It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ASIO To Get 'Super Warrants' Under Reforms

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 09:06 PM
link   

ASIO To Get 'Super Warrants' Under Reforms

www.scmagazine.com.au

The Federal Government will establish public hearings on its proposal to implement a data retention scheme and drastically bolster ASIO's power to intercept telecommunications.

The reforms would force telcos to keep subscriber data for up to two years and make it an offense for companies to not decrypt the information, according to reports in The Sydney Morning Herald.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 09:06 PM
link   
My fellow Aussies, this is not good news. As per the recent trend throughout the Western world it would seem we too are experiencing superior increases of power to federal law enforcement as has been seen recently throughout the U.S (if you are unaware of this, what forums have you been browsing!?).

Illegal for ISP's, Telco's etc. to NOT decrypt data? Does this mean at the behest of federal law enforcement, at a local level or both? It is also unclear on whether ALL data must be decrypted or by request. I would like to thinmk, by request atleast.

This is being disguised under a push for telco's to bolster security in relation to hacking customer data. Please. Telco's bear that responsibility as is and stand to lose money along with customers when breaches occur.

Furthermore;

Other reforms proposed by Roxon, and subject to public consultation, include streamlining the approval and renewal of search warrants available to ASIO, and extending their validity from two to six months. This would bring the warrants in line with standards of other warrants.

Warrants would also become more flexible, allowing ASIO to tap multiple devices including phones and computers. Similar reforms have been pushed for warrants available to law enforcement to help them keep up with suspects under surveillance who rapidly swap communications devices.

The number of agencies able to intercept would be reduced, replaced with greater information-sharing between those who could.

This would accelerate the process of ASIO obtaining search warrants. I'm not sure how long it currently takes for them to receive approval for these warrants but aparrently, it isn't quick enough. It would also extend the validity date of a search warrant from 2 to 6 months! Throughout a two month period of conducted searches, if such operations return no results then, why would it be necessary to persist for another four? I can see in some cases how this could potentially be beneficial but, six month search warrant validity periods?

For my American and international friends, ASIO (Australian Security Intelligence Organisation) is Australia's federal security service.

Fellow Aussies- I think we should all attend such public forums and start thinking of some solid arguments against the proposals, if not we can not complain about it when it is passed.

www.scmagazine.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Australia, I wish soo much we could stand up here and say 'Hold on...it'll get better'. I'm afraid if you all don't handle your own set of criminals and thieves in Office, thats it for ya. We're further down the road to ruin than you are and less likely to pull back from the crash. We sure can't help but do anything beyond watching a friend fall beside the rest of us

It seems everyone up here is waiting for...something. Elections? Impeachment? God coming down on a cloud? I don't know, but we're going to be waiting right through the collapse. I've accepted that by now. Perhaps you can help see Australia go differently. The world needs at least ONE nation that isn't rebuilding from ashes in several years. It would be wonderful if that were the folks down under!

(You just have to vote the losers off the Island.
)

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 09:28 PM
link   
How about these...

Personal privacy rights ?
Sensitive business/financial secrets leak ?
Trespassing personal information ?
Abusable by the telco ?
Breach of trust
Responsibility falls to...unclear.
Information collected might be use for future law enforcement.
Waste of budget on non threatening public
More telco operation required

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
Australia, I wish soo much we could stand up here and say 'Hold on...it'll get better'. I'm afraid if you all don't handle your own set of criminals and thieves in Office, thats it for ya. We're further down the road to ruin than you are and less likely to pull back from the crash. We sure can't help but do anything beyond watching a friend fall beside the rest of us

It seems everyone up here is waiting for...something. Elections? Impeachment? God coming down on a cloud? I don't know, but we're going to be waiting right through the collapse. I've accepted that by now. Perhaps you can help see Australia go differently. The world needs at least ONE nation that isn't rebuilding from ashes in several years. It would be wonderful if that were the folks down under!

(You just have to vote the losers off the Island.
)

I see it that Australia has been further down the road than the USA for years. The USA is only now just starting to catch up.

-Guns are banned, and have been for close to two decades

-ASIO has been allowed to take citizens in for infinite detention without a warrant, trial, lawyer etc. (This was passed in Australia in 2003. It was only passed in the USA by Obama last year).

-Now this... At least they are going for public opinion first.

To the OP, this cn be worrying, depending on whether or not ASIO abuses it's powers. But it is known that they already tap people's phones and computers, as that is how they brought that guy in for detention in January.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 10:15 PM
link   
interesting news, but the Australian people will still be more interested in keeping up their racist crusade against refugees and in whatever sporting event is taking place. As long as the Australian public is told that this measure is to keep Australians safe from terrorists and refuges they will buy into it with certainty

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by QQXXw
interesting news, but the Australian people will still be more interested in keeping up their racist crusade against refugees and in whatever sporting event is taking place. As long as the Australian public is told that this measure is to keep Australians safe from terrorists and refuges they will buy into it with certainty

Can i ask you a question. Why is it that everywhere i post, you post within seconds or minutes? It is like you are stalking me

And please stop with trying to throw off everybody's threads.

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 10:19 PM
link   
reply to post by daaskapital

Due to the low, low, low level of consciousness that the Australian public has, It is a lot easier to implement those types of policies in Australia than in the U.S, that's for sure. For those who are unaware about the Australian public, please visit www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Due to the low, low, low level of consciousness that the Australian public has, It is a lot easier to implement those types of policies in Australia than in the U.S, that's for sure. For those who are unaware about the Australian public, please visit www.abovetopsecret.com...

Character assassination eh. It is not going to work my friend. I am starting to get quite suspicious about you and your motives

You always post on controversial threads with an "Official view."

You are judging all Australians on a thread i created. Grow up please.

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 10:44 PM
link   

As opposed to the brains trust and intellectual oasis that is the United States?

For the record, half of my family came here as post WW2 refugees and the other half in chains. Charged with petty crimes in England such as, stealing a loaf of bread for their starving families. They then had the pleasure of being used as slave labor in the construction of a new colony.

Keep your shortsighted, inexperienced views to yourself until you can produce a source of information verifying your claims?

Thanks for the attempt at derailing the issue here.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 02:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by daaskapital
-Guns are banned, and have been for close to two decades

I've stated this in a couple of other threads as well but I have to point out that guns are not banned in Australia.

My gun cabinet is locked and stocked!

The laws did change after Pt Arthur but really, all that happened was the licensed owner needed to validate their reasons for owning firearms. That was a pretty easy task.

Secondly, semi-automatic pistols were to be banned but afterwards were not. You just need to be a member of a pistol club and attend a required number of shoots at the range. Magazine capacities did drop slightly but it's no biggie.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 02:16 AM
link   
reply to post by TRiPWiRE

Thanks fo the clarification mate

Perhaps i should have said "Automatic Guns."

edit on 4-5-2012 by daaskapital because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 04:03 AM
link   

ahaha....wanker....bet you will be lining up to get $300 a week to house a refugee.

p.s. go the mighty south sydney rabbits.

edit on 4-5-2012 by bellagirl because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 10:08 AM
link   
With our electronic liberties at stake, do you think programmers will create software that encrypts client side disabling decryption by authorities, and maybe whether it would be prohibited by government.

This could lead to some serious problems if say a government official was seeking bloggers or emails from higher figure heads that needed to be silenced, a quick search through the history of Australian electronic communication could give them the answer.

Could go hand in hand with the F#$% face Conroy's firewall.

RAAWR!!
edit on 4-5-2012 by Strainz because: Felt the need to elaborate on my rushed blurb of destruction.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 09:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by bellagirl

ahaha....wanker....bet you will be lining up to get $300 a week to house a refugee.

Bellagirl, haven't seen you around in a while, what's doin? Haha what a wanker indeed.

Who the hell are the South Sydney Rabbits....wait, don't they play that weird game where blokes throw the ball?

Carn you mighty fightin Hawthorn Hawks!!

Will be bloody freezing tonight at the MCG...winter has well and truly arrived down here in Melbourne

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 07:03 AM
link   
Wow talk about over reacting to nothing guys.

All this is, is enhancing the efficiency at which they under take their daily operations.

Ordinary people are not going to be targets by ASIO now just because it's going to become easier for them to get warrants and wire taps for various devices used by individuals.

Let me put it this way...does ASIO bug your phones and Internet with their existing powers?
No they don't.

So stop over reacting and creating mountains out of mole hills..

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 07:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by BLV12A
Wow talk about over reacting to nothing guys.

All this is, is enhancing the efficiency at which they under take their daily operations.

Ordinary people are not going to be targets by ASIO now just because it's going to become easier for them to get warrants and wire taps for various devices used by individuals.

Let me put it this way...does ASIO bug your phones and Internet with their existing powers?
No they don't.

So stop over reacting and creating mountains out of mole hills..

I agree with what you said.

I don't have a problem with it, as long as they don't abuse their powers. (Which they won't).

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pirateofpsychonautics

Originally posted by bellagirl

Bellagirl, haven't seen you around in a while, what's doin? Haha what a wanker indeed.

Who the hell are the South Sydney Rabbits....wait, don't they play that weird game where blokes throw the ball?

Carn you mighty fightin Hawthorn Hawks!!
Will be bloody freezing tonight at the MCG...winter has well and truly arrived down here in Melbourne

hi mate...im still around. just lurking mainly in the background..lol. you leave my beloved bunnies alone you bloody ariel ping pong supporter. you mexicans are mad down there. go gws......ahahahahahah

edit on 5-5-2012 by bellagirl because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Haha ariel ping pong uh? Geez...the cheek!

As for the Mexicans part, I can deal with that...because that makes you New South Welshpoofs Yanks!!

top topics

join