It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NC's Amendment one - The same sex marriage ban? (Bill 514)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 11:35 AM
link   
en.wikipedia.org... So I wasn't sure where to put this, so if its in the wrong spot I'm sorry, and mods feel free to move. As far as I know this bill is supposed to ban gay marriage in NC. I'm quite confused on this as I thought NC already had a state law defining marriage being between one man and one woman. I could be wrong on this, I'm not quite sure. The people I have talked to around here are confused on this amendment, as I am. By the way I have no qualms about gay marriage, I want people to do whatever makes them happy. Being a lurker of ats for so long I'm quite skeptic of any bills being passed that I don't know a lot about. I was hoping my fellow ats members could shed some light on this bill for me, or could possibly point me to a site that has all the facts on this and not an agenda so I can help my friends/people who are asking about it out. Educate me or point me to a place to educate me if you can, thank you for your time

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Here's the wiki on it:

en.wikipedia.org...

North Carolinans will be voting on it in five days.

Personally, I hope it doesn't pass and I would never vote for such a thing.

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 12:15 PM
link   
It just occurred to me that same gender couples are being dis-allowed their first amendment right- the freedom of the expression of their love by uniting in marriage.

How sad.

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thesickness
As far as I know this bill is supposed to ban gay marriage in NC. I'm quite confused on this as I thought NC already had a state law defining marriage being between one man and one woman.

Youre correct. State law in NC already defines marriage as between a man and a woman. But this will alter the NC Constitution to make 'same sex unions' illegal.

It's a red-meat issue meant to get social conservatives riled. Most legal experts seem to agree that even if it does pass, it will be ruled unconstitutional

NC is a swing state that BARELY went Dem in 2008. The vote on this will be in a few days, but the intent is likely to motivate social conservatives to get out and vote in Nov.
edit on 3-5-2012 by stanguilles7 because: (no reason given)

top topics

join