It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How To Be King (after the SHTF)?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 08:28 AM
link   
I have often wondered about what happens after the SHTF and the dust has started to clear.

Cars will be essentially useless without fuel and parts and will all grind to a halt. Use them initially in order to quickly possess your chosen territory. Warehouse as much of everything you find. Do not leave anything behind unless it is guarded.
Create a well-rewarded hierarchy of subordinates and make sure you do not reward yourself too much - most of the longest living dictators of the 20th century lived frugally until they had established their bases of power (not always through fear)

The following scenario seems likely:
1. Individuals and small groups of survivors will emerge from the ruins looking to join or form communites for protection and comfort.
2. Individual survivalists or small groups of survivalists will emerge looking to replenish their stockpiled goods.
3. Existing groups (large and/or well-armed groups) will roam at will preying on the above vulnerable people. Most large groups will be brutal by necessity (in order to stay in power, the leader will have to satisfy a lot of appetites:
Personnel Required
Armed Mercenaries will be your most highly sought after commodity and will be used in the following roles:

1. Bodyguards
  2. Soldiers
  3. Raiders

Medical Practitioners
Farmers
Skilled Craftsmen such as carpenters, builders, blacksmiths

Ensure you establish a system of learning in order to teach, transfer skills and cross skill your subjects.

Establish a large stockpile of scarce tradeable goods such as medicine. Do not trade away weapons. At some point they probably will be used against you.

You will require a defendable stronghold in an area rich in natural resources (water, good soil, game, minerals). This stronghold must be able to be in a position to protect outlying communities depending on its protection.

I suggest a study of Survival in the Dark Ages to get an idea of what it will take to be King in the SHTF. Pay particular attention the Art of Making Gunpowder. This knowledge alone could keep you alive.

A whole book could be written on this subject ...

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 08:30 AM
link   
If i am to be king, all i will need is a steady supply of toilet paper and dirty magazines...........

What?

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 08:44 AM
link   
Why would you want to be 'king'?

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 08:45 AM
link   
reply to post by GrandHeretic

Ah toilet paper ... in the army, the stuff was so scarce, we called it "white gold". When we were in the field (training) at Saldanha, the Impala jet pilots use to mock bomb us with rolls of toilet paper which caused a mad scramble for the valuable stuff. Thus was born "The Saldanha White Gold Rush"
I think I might even have a photo in my old photo album as an Impala screams over our LPD20 radar system.

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 08:47 AM
link   
Altho we could see a return to a quasi medieval, fuedalistic society think 'warlord' not 'king'. First, there will not be the predominantly agrarian society that existed in the middle ages. It will be more city gangs moving out to the surburbs and country scavenging and terrorizing the populace. Hopefully it wont be as extreme as the roving gangs of cannibals as depicted in "The Road" but it could deteroriate to depths we can only imagine. Second, authority requires command and control not just the threat of force and it will be hard to centralize authority in the hinderlands except for on a localized basis. I agree with the OP on what it will take to survive and what skills will be in greater demand for a SHTF scenario.

link   
dp
edit on 3-5-2012 by CosmicCitizen because: (no reason given)

link   
tp
edit on 3-5-2012 by CosmicCitizen because: (no reason given)

edit on 3-5-2012 by CosmicCitizen because: deleted due to double post by mistake.

link   
wtf - quad post
pc malfunction
edit on 3-5-2012 by CosmicCitizen because: above

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 08:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by soulshn
Why would you want to be 'king'?

Exactly! Nothing paints a giant bullseye on you like saying, "I am King of this area". I'd rather stick to myself.

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 08:51 AM
link   
I am the king of "Myland"!
As long as I rule it wisely the UN sponsored troops leave us alone.
I lord over nothing not even my Queen as I am wise.
What more could anyone want?

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 08:54 AM
link   
I would pick a place no one has thought of, which i have a few in mind, just in case they are occupied.

Then I would choose some resources that can not run out. One would be a small trap used to catch small animals, like rabbits, coons, and other small rodents. Whether you eat it right then and there is your decision.

I would also recommend an aluminum baseball bat and a crossbow. Those are good weapons that wont run out of ammo.

~Q

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 08:56 AM
link   
I'm not saying the OP wants to be "king".

But I am saying there is something seriously wrong with an individual who sits and fantasizes about the destruction of our civilization, in order that he might have a chance of being "king", and who literally goes over ways in his head that might expedite this aspiration.

~A leader emerges, he doesn't force himself on people, and he doesn't volunteer. Self-proclaimed leaders are the worse.
edit on 5/3/2012 by BellaSabre because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 09:07 AM
link   
Why would I want to be "King/Warlord/Chief Muckity Muck"?

I think most people will agree that Democracy will not be the rule.
It will be survival of the fittest and strongest. So I can think of a number of reasons why I wouyld rather be in charge this time around:

- Easier access to scarce resources.
- Protection of family and friends
- Avoiding becoming a slave (or dead)
- Avoiding conscription to fight other people's wars

Do you want a modern case study when there is a power vacuum? Look at Somalia. Hiding won't help - in the joining a benevolent dictatorship might be the next best option if you don't have the stomach or leadership ability.

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 09:11 AM
link   
reply to post by deltaalphanovember

All my pictures are broken but you might still like my old thread:

HOWTO: Be wealthy after the collapse

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by IgnoranceIsntBlisss

All my pictures are broken but you might still like my old thread:

HOWTO: Be wealthy after the collapse

Excellent thanks, to tell the truth, all I want to form my own Secret Society with a special handshake and obscure rules. I will definitely allow female membership though

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 09:35 AM
link   

sounds fun, but....I think the warlords that emerge out of a SHTF scenario will be eliminated by TPTB.

Just like in the H.G. Wells film, Things To Come

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 09:39 AM
link   
reply to post by cointelprotroll

Personally I think this is a scenario where TPTB have wiped each out leaving an enormous Power Vacuum. It is surprisingly easy for a country to slide into total anarchy.
Think what would happen if the Yellowstone caldera blew?

Imagine if all communications and power is out.
Imagine that most soldiers will be busy looking after their own friends and family.
Imagine all the people ... starving, hurt, homeless.

It's not hard, if you try.

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by deltaalphanovember
reply to post by cointelprotroll

...Imagine if all communications and power is out.
Imagine that most soldiers will be busy looking after their own friends and family.
Imagine all the people ... starving, hurt, homeless.

It's not hard, if you try...

Imagine, instead, All the people sharing All the world... it's easy if you try.

edit: i'm not the only One; i hope some day you'll join us.

Cheers!
edit on 5/3/12 by soulshn because: Cheers again my friends.

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 09:51 AM
link   
reply to post by soulshn

Imagine, instead, All the people sharing All the world... it's easy if you try.

Imagine no possessions
I wonder if you can
No need for greed or hunger
A brotherhood of man
Imagine all the people,
Sharing all the world............

..........Thank you soulshn, for the reminder.

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by BellaSabre

Unfortunately, I share John's sentiments but ultimately, a world inhabited by humankind will be one where a weapon has the last word.

Switzerland is a neutral and peaceful country but even they have a well-armed and trained potential army of conscripts.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join