It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Societies that Vanished in Mystery

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+34 more 
posted on May, 2 2012 @ 09:10 PM
link   

Societies that Vanished in Mystery

Why would a flourishing civilization, advanced for its time, suddenly cease to exist, its inhabitants gone and its architecture abandoned?*

A recap of civilizations that vanished. From "alien abduction theories" and earthy invasions to possible natural disasters these remain are the societies that remain in mystery.

(picture heavy/thumbnails)

The Indus Valley Civilization, Pakistan

Home to one of the greatest man-made architectural wonders of the ancient world, the Indus Valley Civilization (known at the height of its influence as the Harappan Civilization) was among the largest early urban settlements on any continent. Located in modern-day Pakistan, the Indus Valley Civilization thrived 4,500 years ago and was then forgotten but for local legends until ruins were excavated in the 1920s. Sophisticated and technologically advanced, this civilization, including the famous Mohenjo Daro, featured the world’s first urban sanitation systems as well as evidence of surprising proficiency in mathematics, engineering and even proto-dentistry. By the year 1500 BCE, the Indus Valley Civilization was virtually abandoned, possibly after invasion by Indo-European tribes or a collapse in agriculture due to climate change.*

The Khmer Empire, Cambodia

Once one of the most powerful empires of Southeast Asia, the Khmer civilization spread from modern-day Cambodia out into Laos, Thailand, Vietnam, Myanmar and Malaysia and is best known today for Angkor, its capital city. The empire dates back to 802 CE. Other than stone inscriptions, no written records survive, so our knowledge of the civilization is pieced together from archaeological investigations, reliefs in temple walls and the reports of outsiders including the Chinese. More...*

The Anasazi, New Mexico, United States

‘Anasazi’ is the modern name for the ancient Pueblo Peoples who inhabited the ‘Four Corners’ area of the southwestern United States at the junction of the states of Utah, Arizona, New Mexico and Colorado. Their civilization emerged around the 12th century BCE, and remains best known for stone and adobe structures built along cliff walls including Cliff Palace in Mesa Verde National Park, the White House Ruins and Pueblo Bonito at the northern rim of Chaco Canyon. This architecture evolved into amazing multi-story dwellings that were often only accessible by rope or ladder. More...*

They did not necessarily vanish, they abandoned their home area. This is said likely due to conflict from within the culture and warfare.

Tiahuanaco and nearby Puma Punku
#
Located in Bolivia, these complexes feature technological feats for the era. Also, have statues of said aliens, or contact with other civilizations(see bearded statue) by travel and items found, bowls for ex., said to be linked in design to far away cultures.
There was a thread earlier this year on ATS due to it being featured on the Ancient Aliens show. If you haven't had a chance to check out it:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

The Olmec Civilization, Mexico
One of the more well known of the vanished civilizations: because of the giant stone heads, that are said to have features of non native origin. Located in south-central Mexico it was a noted Pre Columbian civilization that may have developed the first writing system in the Western Hemisphere as well as other achievements. Possible claimed loss of civilization: natural disaster.

The Aksumite Empire, Ethiopia

A major participant in trade with the Roman Empire and Ancient India, the Aksumite Empire – also known as the Kingdom of Aksum or Axum – ruled over northeastern Africa including Ethiopia starting in the 4th century BCE. Theorized to be the home of the Queen of Sheba, the Aksumite Empire was likely an indigenous African development that grew to encompass most of present-day Eritrea, northern Ethiopia, Yemen, southern Saudi Arabia and northern Sudan. More...*

Said to have "vanished" due to economic /cultural issues and or climate.

The Minoans, Crete
Crete Greece, The Minoas named after Minos and known for it's "labyrinth" associated with Minos. The said cause of vanishing, earthquakes and eruptions of the Thera volcano.

The Cucuteni-Trypillians, Ukraine & Romania
A mysterious civilization once the largest settlements in Neolithic Europe the area of modern-day Ukraine, Romania and Moldova. It was rebuilt numerous times it may have just vanished into other advancing cultures.

The Nabateans, Jordan
Or aka Petra, which is most noted of the civilization.

The ancient Nabatean civilization occupied southern Jordan, Canaan and northern Arabia starting in the sixth century BCE, when the Aramaic-speaking Nabatean nomads began gradually migrating from Arabia.*

Likely vanished due to cultural merging/ or invasions.

Continued...

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Cahokia, Illinois, United States
In Illinois exists The Cahokia Mounds Historic Site. Was once the civilization of Mississippian culture.
Abandoned 100 years prior to European settling.

The Mycenaean Civilization, Greece

A conquering empire of Greece, most know to experts to have vanished due to cultural issues or foreign invasion.

Moche Civilization, Peru
An agricultural society containing pyramids and palaces... on the north coast of Peru. Leaving no written language but only clues of their culture such as human sacrifice.

Clovis Culture, North America
Little is known of these North American peoples. However, The Clovis in a way are controversial because of a few different issues. Spear heads were found on the East Coast that are close in design of European people's design as well as how they had their cave dwellings. Which has lead to theory of people's crossing from Europe, the ice age bridge to North America-Atlantic Ocean well before people's crossed the Bering Straights.

This was also talked of on ATS lately in a more recent update: New evidence suggests Stone Age hunters from Europe discovered America

Is also said they fit the Native American legend of the Redhaired giants and or cannibal giants. Plus see The Kennewick Man's information of his remains found in Kennewick, Washington State, who was laid to rest upon request but his DNA/age proven to be older than more recent groups. My theory: Possible these people's were assimilated by later tribes of people to the Northern Americas.

References:
*Societies that Vanished in Mystery
#Image ancientvisitors.blogspot.com...

ATS, what's your take? Have you had the chance to visit these sites and or artifacts or have details to share?
edit on 2-5-2012 by dreamingawake because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by dreamingawake

NIcely put together. I have read some very interesting theories in regards to the Anasazi which I'm sure some people are familiar with. In regards to Puma Punku I am of the opinion that it is incredibly old, and most likely made by a previously existing civilization that defies modern history, possibly Atlantis although I am not positive. I believe that the great Pyramids were made by Atlanteans, which is interesting because they sit on the same longitude geographically as tiahuanaco and also angkor wat in Cambodia if im not mistaken.

I feel that with a lot of these civilizations you need to take into account that our current version of history is rather primitive and there are far too many strange anomalies that history either cannot, or refuses to try and explain. Bummer really because humanity has a really awesome and cosmic past, if we only had any idea how awesome this world and we all are....if only

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 10:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by sir_slide

NIcely put together. I have read some very interesting theories in regards to the Anasazi which I'm sure some people are familiar with. In regards to Puma Punku I am of the opinion that it is incredibly old, and most likely made by a previously existing civilization that defies modern history, possibly Atlantis although I am not positive. I believe that the great Pyramids were made by Atlanteans, which is interesting because they sit on the same longitude geographically as tiahuanaco and also angkor wat in Cambodia if im not mistaken.

I feel that with a lot of these civilizations you need to take into account that our current version of history is rather primitive and there are far too many strange anomalies that history either cannot, or refuses to try and explain. Bummer really because humanity has a really awesome and cosmic past, if we only had any idea how awesome this world and we all are....if only

Thanks for sharing your views. I posted to help the summing up of some new and old data concerning the cultures. Also, globally to add we may be faced by similar fate/s in the coming years.

Exactly, so much loss due to not really understanding what there is to behold.

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 10:17 PM
link   
For the OP, a nice list, you might want to talk about each in turn

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just to comment on one aspect of your comments sir_slide:

I believe that the great Pyramids were made by Atlanteans, which is interesting because they sit on the same longitude geographically as tiahuanaco and also angkor wat in Cambodia if im not mistaken.

....I think you meant latitude instead of longitude but even then they don't match, PP is in the southern hemisphere and Giza and AW in the northern

Pumapunku 16.33.42 S, 68.40.48 west

Giza 29.58.45 N, 31.08.03

Angkor Wat 13.24.45 N, 103.52.0 E

edit on 2/5/12 by Hanslune because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 10:30 PM
link   
I remember watching a tv documentary showing still running water in man made canals in South America and satellite photos of many tilled fields and it was stated that a population of 100 million people would be required to support all of it. Right now it's all jungle but I wonder if it could have been a temperate climate 10 or 12,000 years ago during the last ice age in South America. Peru may have been the western edge of the civilization. I've read some stories that there is evidence of global trade back in that time period as well. Cocoa remains were found in Egyptian mummies and cocoa was only grown in South America. A civilization of 100 million in South America would be extremely large back 12,000 years ago.

I found this article relating to canals several thousand years old in South America.
news.nationalgeographic.com...
The canals suggest a somewhat advanced civilization.

It's a mystery to me what happened to all of them. I suspect some major catastrophe destroyed many of them. Most of North America I believe was covered in ice at that time. Global sea levels were at least 300 feet lower than today.

Going back about 70,000 years after a massive volcanic global disaster, humanity was almost wiped out with the number of surviving humans estimated at only 10,000 in the world.
www.bradshawfoundation.com...

For anyone who likes reading about ancient history I found this about a supposed Egyptian shipwreck found in Australia. Pictures in link.
realhistoryww.com...

And this site about ancient history and South America. Lots of pictures are included.
realhistoryww.com...

I found this history of mankind video. Looks interesting.
I find this video puts everything into perspective indicating what time in history people populated an area based on records.
It shows the progression of mankind moving across the planet starting about 160,000 years ago.

At about the 80,000 to 70,000 year mark, the explosion in the video goes off. 1,000 year nuclear winter starts. Well volcanic nuclear winter so to speak.

edit on 2/5/12 by orionthehunter because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 10:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hanslune
For the OP, a nice list, you might want to talk about each in turn

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just to comment on one aspect of your comments sir_slide:

I believe that the great Pyramids were made by Atlanteans, which is interesting because they sit on the same longitude geographically as tiahuanaco and also angkor wat in Cambodia if im not mistaken.

....I think you meant latitude instead of longitude but even then they don't match, PP is in the southern hemisphere and Giza and AW in the northern

Pumapunku 16.33.42 S, 68.40.48 west

Giza 29.58.45 N, 31.08.03

Angkor Wat 13.24.45 N, 103.52.0 E

edit on 2/5/12 by Hanslune because: (no reason given)

Thanks for the coordinates was wondering about that myself.

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 10:53 PM
link   
reply to post by orionthehunter

Haven't heard about the Egyptian shipwreck found in Australia yet. Looking into the info provided!

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 11:23 PM
link   
I was at the Mesa Verde dwellings a few yrs ago and learned a lot of interesting history while there. My understanding from talking to the rangers was, that they most likely left because of drought conditions and population growth that the land could no longer sustain. It was not an easy life for them farming the plateaus above the canyons. When you see the canyons walls in person, it makes one quickly realize the strenuous and hard labor they endured on a daily basis, even for the smallest of task.

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 01:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Hanslune

Oh sorry my mistake, I find them a bit confusing personally.

If one maps the ley lines one can find some incredibly interesting 'coincidences' worldwide.

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 07:53 AM
link   
Very interesting thread. I now have hours of research to do with the information provided. I have always found it amazing how we believe that we know our history when there are som many civilizations that just "up and left" with little record as to why.

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Well, echoes of the Mississippian Culture exist all over the place. When the Spanish encountered the last vestiges of Mississippean culture in Florida, they reported that the elite referred to their subjects as 'stinkards'. I always figured that the ordinary Joe, who worked his butt off supporting the elites and their building projects, took a look over yonder and saw woods full of game, rivers full of fish...figured "Naw, I'm outta here!" and melted into the woods. En masse.

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by JohnnyCanuck

Well, echoes of the Mississippian Culture exist all over the place. When the Spanish encountered the last vestiges of Mississippean culture in Florida, they reported that the elite referred to their subjects as 'stinkards'. I always figured that the ordinary Joe, who worked his butt off supporting the elites and their building projects, took a look over yonder and saw woods full of game, rivers full of fish...figured "Naw, I'm outta here!" and melted into the woods. En masse.

A similar thing probably also happened with the Maya and their dissolution - but some cities kept going up to and beyond the Spanish arrival

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 09:27 AM
link   
reply to post by sir_slide

Take any bunch of random dots and guess what, you can make connections!

...Which 'ley' line connections do you find compelling?

Oh and going back to your first post. Have you figured out a way how the 'Atlanteans' could built the pyramids while leaving no traces of themselves while at the same time the proto-Egyptians and ancient Egyptian did leave traces of themselves?

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 12:46 PM
link   

However, The Clovis in a way are controversial because of a few different issues. Spear heads were found on the East Coast that are close in design of European people's design as well as how they had their cave dwellings. Which has lead to theory of people's crossing from Europe, the ice age bridge to North America-Atlantic Ocean well before people's crossed the Bering Straights.

That's a bit far-fetched, although possible. The last time there was enough ice to bridge North America with Europe was tens of thousands of years ago... so it's got nothing to do with what is known of European cultures today. It's way more likely that most Natives came from Asia, and they also share the same physical features than Mongolian/Kyrgyz/Korean people.

Arrowheads designs aren't a strong sign of cultural identity.... they often have very close similarities, from one place on the planet to another.
edit on 3/5/12 by Echtelion because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Echtelion
That's a bit far-fetched, although possible. The last time there was enough ice to bridge North America with Europe was tens of thousands of years ago... so it's got nothing to do with what is known of European cultures today. It's way more likely that most Natives came from Asia, and they also share the same physical features than Mongolian/Kyrgyz/Korean people.
Arrowheads designs aren't a strong sign of cultural identity.... they often have very close similarities, from one place on the planet to another.

That debate is back in the forefront, though, and the Bering Lands Bridge doesn't account for the antiquity of a lot of sites (nor Anishnaabe oral tradition, btw). Here's the discussion on a recent thread I started:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Meltzer is hanging on, but more and more are coming over to the Atlantic hypothesis.
Self edit to say that nobody is suggesting the trek over Beringia didn't happen, simply that it may not have been exclusive, and it may not have been first.
edit on 3-5-2012 by JohnnyCanuck because: ...just because...ok?

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by orionthehunter
I remember watching a tv documentary showing still running water in man made canals in South America and satellite photos of many tilled fields and it was stated that a population of 100 million people would be required to support all of it. Right now it's all jungle but I wonder if it could have been a temperate climate 10 or 12,000 years ago during the last ice age in South America. Peru may have been the western edge of the civilization. I've read some stories that there is evidence of global trade back in that time period as well. Cocoa remains were found in Egyptian mummies and cocoa was only grown in South America. A civilization of 100 million in South America would be extremely large back 12,000 years ago.

I found this article relating to canals several thousand years old in South America.
news.nationalgeographic.com...
The canals suggest a somewhat advanced civilization.

It's a mystery to me what happened to all of them. I suspect some major catastrophe destroyed many of them. Most of North America I believe was covered in ice at that time. Global sea levels were at least 300 feet lower than today.

Going back about 70,000 years after a massive volcanic global disaster, humanity was almost wiped out with the number of surviving humans estimated at only 10,000 in the world.

For anyone who likes reading about ancient history I found this about a supposed Egyptian shipwreck found in Australia. Pictures in link.
realhistoryww.com...

And this site about ancient history and South America. Lots of pictures are included.
realhistoryww.com...

I found this history of mankind video. Looks interesting.
I find this video puts everything into perspective indicating what time in history people populated an area based on records.
It shows the progression of mankind moving across the planet starting about 160,000 years ago.

At about the 80,000 to 70,000 year mark, the explosion in the video goes off. 1,000 year nuclear winter starts. Well volcanic nuclear winter so to speak.

edit on 2/5/12 by orionthehunter because: (no reason given)

Awesome Post.

Also
to the OP.

Great work, guys!

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 02:29 PM
link   

There's a very good fictional book written by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child that addresses the vanishing of the Anasazi. It's called Thunderhead and is a great read if you enjoy speculative adventure stories. Preston and Child are known for their impeccable research and the way they described archeaological sites like Chaco Canyon and the other cliff dwellings was incredible.

This summer we plan to visit the cliff dwellings...I can't wait.

S&F for a great topic.

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Thank you very much.

This is a great reference list to work on identifying historical mysteries.

I wonder is these civilizations held any similar beliefs?

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by orionthehunter
Peru may have been the western edge of the civilization. I've read some stories that there is evidence of global trade back in that time period as well. Cocoa remains were found in Egyptian mummies and cocoa was only grown in South America.

Orionthehunter:

If I may correct you...you meant to say Coca not Cocoa. The coca leaf from which Cocaine is obtained....

As for the debate about how the Americas were populated....It is now a rather widely accepted theory that people came in successive waves. There is great speculation that many likely came by sea, skirting the coasts while the continents were ice covered and therefore the seas were lower...

Of course there is little evidence of this since it would have been covered by seawater millennia ago. It would make sense for people to stay near oceans where food was abundant and easy to obtain.

Contrary to our popular beliefs, our ancestors were not half-witted troglodytes who were wandering around aimlessly. They had the same brain capacity / intelligence as us and only lacked the accumulated knowledge and "modern technologies" that we have today. I would not doubt if they were actually more hardy and adventurous than the modern average city dweller.

Just because they lacked our modern knowledge and conveniences does preclude them from having rowed across oceans or even having drifted here by fluke.

That being said, logic dictates that they probably got here at various times, via various means.

new topics

top topics

active topics

<<   2  3 >>

join