It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Free Harvard And MIT Online Classes For All Starting Fall 2012

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 08:00 PM
link   

idealab.talkingpointsmemo.com

Getting an education from two of the most pre-eminent universities in the world will soon be as easy going online.

At least, that’s the unified goal of Harvard and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), which on Wednesday announced they were teaming-up to offer a new online education program, dubbed “edX.”

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
web.mit.edu

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 08:00 PM
link   
This is pretty cool, for us poor folk, like myself.
We'll just see how long it remains free

Alan Garber , Provost of Harvard, said “We expect to try a variety of [payment] approaches, but we also expect much content to be available for free going forward.”

Well regardless, it's pretty cool.

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 08:10 PM
link   
As an interesting side note here, Obama recently went after the Universities for their insane raising of prices, way beyond inflation. That even though his policies will double the interest on Student Loans.

If I were the sort who came to ATS, I might be tempted to think this ties into the Obama Campaign just like so many other current events have. After all these are his crones. Will this turn up in a soon to be released ad with his majesty taking credit? Report at 11

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 08:12 PM
link   
I've watched a couple of Harvard classes in session on Youtube a couple of weeks ago and enjoyed being able to do so. Free is good, but you're not just paying for the classes when you attend these schools, you're paying for the diploma that certifies you as being worthy of Harvard or MIT recognition. That's one of the first things employers look for as proof that you are educated in a particular field. So.... while these classes might help you in your personal pursuit of education or even help you pass your classes at the local community college, Harvard and MIT still retain the most valuable asset in the world of employment, their certification. I'll be watching in my spare time just for the hell of it. Already got my diploma from a fairly prestigious University, but it doesn't hurt to keep learning! Thanks for posting.

P.S. I too wonder what prompted them to go ahead with it. As a member of ATS I like to look at things from different angles. I think it will depend on what classes are being offered on this Youtube channel. Will they be offering free classes on mathematics? Science? Philosophy? The type of subjects covered may provide the answer. Maybe they'll use them to re-educate the masses?!?!?

edit on 2-5-2012 by 2manyquestions because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 08:26 PM
link   
As someone who is broke and has the internet, I'll surely be taking advantage of these classes

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 08:27 PM
link   
A note....your certification will not be through Harvard or MIT. Also, the credits,do not transfer. Read the FAQ's.

So, I ask...what is the point of this?

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 08:30 PM
link   
yes, some of the cool classes that were technical.....were tough.....I did three weeks a year ago or more at mit online.......there's only certain courses available not all

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 08:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

If I were the sort who came to ATS, I might be tempted to think this ties into the Obama Campaign just like so many other current events have. After all these are his crones.

Basically to do anything just to get re-elected eh? I wonder how many people will buy into this garbage...I wouldn't do it otherwise I might end up as a voter for Obama...This is just as bad as trying to get free money online there is always a catch...

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Daedal

Getting an education from two of the most pre-eminent universities in the world will soon be as easy going online.

At least, that’s the unified goal of Harvard and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), which on Wednesday announced they were teaming-up to offer a new online education program, dubbed “edX.”

Related News Links:
web.mit.edu

checking it out now..

AWESOME~!

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by amongus
A note....your certification will not be through Harvard or MIT. Also, the credits,do not transfer. Read the FAQ's.

need to go the MIT link in the OP.. but in a nutshell.. MIT & Harvard are going digital on a global scale..

as it should be already.. personally i think it needs to be this way for grade/middle/high/college eduction as well..

Interesting, so, instead of going to the Facility itself, you can just log in, however, I'm not sure how they will work out the lab sessions .. LOL ..

The Future is Digital man~!

edit on 2-5-2012 by Komodo because: (no reason given)

edit on 2-5-2012 by Komodo because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 08:53 PM
link   
the site says its in mid course with a program right now and there is no enrolling. (obviously, cant start half way in)

anyone find info on when one could apply to the next?

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by GBP/JPY
yes, some of the cool classes that were technical.....were tough.....I did three weeks a year ago or more at mit online.......there's only certain courses available not all

where are the classes that are free ??
2nd*

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 09:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bisman
the site says its in mid course with a program right now and there is no enrolling. (obviously, cant start half way in)

anyone find info on when one could apply to the next?

not yet.. still trying to find out..
2nd*

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 09:16 PM
link   
Its good for learning but you probably wont get credit for it; as in if you take enough classes to get a degree or transfer to another university or something.

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 09:21 PM
link   
The MIT one is not new, I am not familiar with the Harvard one or the two seemingly teaming up though.

Our History

In 1999, MIT Faculty considered how to use the Internet in pursuit of MIT's mission—to advance knowledge and educate students—and in 2000 proposed OCW. MIT published the first proof-of-concept site in 2002, containing 50 courses. By November 2007, MIT completed the initial publication of virtually the entire curriculum, over 1,800 courses in 33 academic disciplines. Going forward, the OCW team is updating existing courses and adding new content and services to the site.

There is no diploma/degree for completing any course(s), but you do get a certificate saying you completed the course(s). Therein, the benefit is one is certainly provided the opportunity to obtain the knowledge within the course(s), the caveat however, is there is no legitimate diploma/degree obtained so the ability to utilize the knowledge obtained will be very limited in most occupational circles.

One could just as easily obtain the same information online (this day and age) or at their local library, the difference/convenience, is that course material has been laid out and included testing will determine if the course information was learned.

It's free knowledge, but imo, knowledge has always been free, the willingness one needs to go obtain said knowledge however, is what most in my experience have an apparent difficulty (or simply wantonness) obtaining.
edit on 5/2/2012 by UberL33t because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 09:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Komodo

Here is a newsletter that you can sign up for that will notify you of new courses for the MIT one anyway

News Letter

They also have a an RSS feed notification if that suits anyone.
edit on 5/2/2012 by UberL33t because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by UberL33t

Indeed but teaching is an invaluable resource for obtaining knowledge! I for one find that different styles of learning may require more or less instruction, for example I could learn a lot of basic chemistry on my own but at a certain point my power of understanding could benefit from a like minded teacher or a resource created by such!

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 09:29 PM
link   
reply to post by BaronAlbatross

Indeed and I concur, mind you I think it's a great resource for learning material one may otherwise not have an avenue to receive. I encourage everyone to do it if they have the time and dedication, the more intelligent people on this planet the better imo

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by amongus

Are you serious? This is one of those "if no one's watching you do the good thing, is it worth doing?" questions. If you feel education is good only when you get credit for it, this does nothing. If you feel education is always a positive thing that will enrich your life regardless of your recognition for it, this is groundbreaking.

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Associative and previously posted ATS threads (not to denote duplication, but to include as additional resources regarding the subject matter):

Want to learn science from MIT? It's free, and has won an award.

Free courses from MIT

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join