It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FDA Allows Corporations to 'Recondition' Old Food

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Susanne Posel, Contributor
Activist Post

In order to save money, some corporations will repackage older food into new packaging and resell it. One public school lunch supplier tried this with moldy apple sauce re-canned and was reprimanded to never try that “stunt” again.

The FDA was contacted by Snokist Growers of Yakima, Washington. This is just one group trying to ensure “reworking” food is not a normal practice.

“I was appalled that there were actually human beings that were OK with this,” said Kantha Shelke, a food scientist and spokeswoman for the Institute of Food Technologists. “This is a case of unsafe food. They are trying to salvage that to make a buck.”

Shockingly, Jay Cole, former federal inspector who works with the FDA Group, says, “Any food can be reconditioned.”

Perhaps pieces of pasta will be re-ground into semolina.

Mislabeled blueberry ice cream mixed with chocolate to avoid waste.

Insect parts discovered in cocoa beans.

Live bugs “left behind” in dried fruits packages.

Or salmonella bacteria found in hydrolyzed vegetable protein (HVP) which is a flavor enhancer used in gravy mix, snack foods, dairy products, spices and soups (just to name a few).

“This is how people do their business,” says Shelke.

The FDA relies on defect action levels to define how dangerous a contaminant is in the food and how much enforcement of their policies they should engage the manufacturer in.

Basically, if making the food safe is too difficult, the FDA does not bother enforcing their safety policies.

Here are a few examples of allowable contaminants:

• In 8 ounces of macaroni there could be 225 insect fragments or 4.5 rodent hairs
• In 3.5 oz of canned mushrooms 20 or more maggots is ok
• In canned cranberry sauce there could be an average of 15% mold

The FDA finds these levels acceptable because there would be too much stress on food producers to adhere to a more stringent policy for food safety.

Correll plainly says, “You can’t cook the poop out of [food].”

www.activistpost.com...

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Star and flag. I love that quote. "You cannot cook the poop out of food." That sounds like an internet meme in the making. Anyway it is really shameful what is allowed to go on with food and drugs these days. It happens because the fox is guarding the hen house.

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 12:16 PM
link   
I wonder, what would be cheaper.
Doing it right or when I or my family gets sick and I sue them and end up owning the company.

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by groingrinder

Yeah.

"Here honey, have some reconditioned pancakes."

"Argh, these taste like ****.

"Don't throw those pancakes at me, you know they said you can't cook the poop out of food anymore."

edit on 2-5-2012 by frazzle because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skewed
I wonder, what would be cheaper.
Doing it right or when I or my family gets sick and I sue them and end up owning the company.

You can't sue them We may be above top secret, but they are above the law.

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 12:22 PM
link   
If you think this is bad, consider food 200yrs ago nd the condition it was kept in.

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 12:34 PM
link   
reply to post by TsukiLunar

Is it better to die of food poisoning out of ignorance and poor sanitary conditions, or because an agency that was set up to protect the food supply knowingly allows contaminated food to be sold on the market?

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 12:55 PM
link   
The company in opposition, good job. A stated warning label/wording would be nice but that's probably too much to ask for since people don't always read labels, nor would they companies want to share especially if the alphabet agency/agencies say As mentioned "too much stress on food producers to adhere to a more stringent policy for food safety." We'll have to take this in our own hands, educate and be educated.

Also, I have a feeling that Gov foods used in school cafeterias are already re conditioned, see even pink slime.

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by frazzle

When are we as Americans going to "draw the line in the sand" and let these criminals know enough is enough?

It kills me to see people argue over political parties, while we have a government that has organizations run by "CZARS" yea, can you say Communist? Worse than that, everyone is arguing over which party is the better and we the people blindlessy feel that voting makes a difference, when in FACT the people we elect to represent us have NO SAY whatsoever what these CZARS and their Communists troops are doing to dismantle and ruin OUR Country!

Stars and Flags to you! I am just really disgusted with the American attitude, "What can we do about it!". Look at what our forefathers did to give us our freedom and think about it!

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Reconditioned food = Soylent Brown.... 10 years until Soylent green and the "Scoops"?

edit on (5/2/12) by AllSeeingI because: spelling

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by dreamingawake

I think more people are reading labels but how many of them understand the unpronounceable chemical elements listed? If manufacturers were required to say on the labels that the product was reconditioned, they'd give it some outlandish name and no one would understand anyway.

The FDA needs to be reconditioned, as do the producers of our food.

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by seeker1963
reply to post by frazzle

When are we as Americans going to "draw the line in the sand" and let these criminals know enough is enough?

It kills me to see people argue over political parties, while we have a government that has organizations run by "CZARS" yea, can you say Communist? Worse than that, everyone is arguing over which party is the better and we the people blindlessy feel that voting makes a difference, when in FACT the people we elect to represent us have NO SAY whatsoever what these CZARS and their Communists troops are doing to dismantle and ruin OUR Country!

Stars and Flags to you! I am just really disgusted with the American attitude, "What can we do about it!". Look at what our forefathers did to give us our freedom and think about it!

Thanks. You're right, it is the agencies of government that are the danger. They are not elected and remain in their positions regardless of the administration or which party holds the majority in congress. How to remove them is the question.

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by AllSeeingI

Ten years might be optimistic. We're moving in that direction faster every day.

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 01:12 PM
link   
I can't wait to get ergot poisoning. Yay!
But how far can they take this? Will they start re-packaging pork, and call it beef?

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 01:21 PM
link   

• In 8 ounces of macaroni there could be 225 insect fragments or 4.5 rodent hairs

The FDA finds these levels acceptable because there would be too much stress on food producers to adhere to a more stringent policy for food safety.

How is mold ever OK

It's not like its been refined into penicillin yet, and mold will make a person really sick

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrUncreated
I can't wait to get ergot poisoning. Yay!
But how far can they take this? Will they start re-packaging pork, and call it beef?

Maybe they'll just start selling pork under the name cephalosporin (the antibiotic). We'll all eat it and become immune to the greedy pigs at con agra and monsanto. Well, okay that was just plain silly.

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by snowspirit

How is mold ever OK

It's not like its been refined into penicillin yet, and mold will make a person really sick

Yes, really sick and a ready made consumer of FDA approved drugs that'll "heal" you.

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 01:35 PM
link   
I think I am going to throw up..
Seriously, guys..
I find this absolutely disgusting, I am never eating out of a can bottle or box again unless I filled it myself, or it is a reputable source.

My highschool food was terrible, I am sure it was reconditioned.

I am allergic to mold, if 15% is allowed in cans I am going to be one sick lady.
Allergic to everything minus food allergies... So, if something happens it is NOT the food itself, it's something that is not supposed to be invited to the party in my mouth.

new topics

top topics

join