It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS: National ID Cards. New Bill in Congress Brings Us Closer

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2004 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Congress is currently running through the recommendations of the 9/11 Commission, and working on a bill that would fix the problems that have been pointed out. The 9/11 Recommendations Implementation Act address key points such as, law enforcement, immigration, border security, and foreign policy. The new legislation is an effort to make it easier to track down terrorist, and prevent them from carrying out their plots. Hidden in the depths of this legislation, is a clause that guarantees that biometric information will be embedded on driver's licenses. When you join this with the clause calling for states to share databases with their resident's information, you have a defacto National ID card.

Reuters - House Republicans Unveil Sweeping Sept. 11 Bill
U.S. House of Representatives Republican leaders unveiled sweeping legislation on Friday that they said reflects Sept. 11 commission recommendations for reforming U.S. intelligence operations.

"Our bill is the most comprehensive effort yet introduced that deals with the problems uncovered by the 9/11 Commission," said Speaker of the House Dennis Hastert, an Illinois Republican.

"We wrote this bill to make sure that we have the best interests of the American people and the security of the American people at heart," he added. "We want to do the things that we must do to catch terrorists and keep terrorists from attacking the American people."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

What Reuters doesn't mention is the section of the bill that would drastically overhaul each state's driver's license regulation. According to section 3052, the minimum requirements of a federally approved identification card would "subject each person applying for a driver�s license or identification card to mandatory facial image capture." The bill doesn't specify what portion of the face, so this could be an entire facial scan, or a retinal scan. The biometric data would be saved on the card, as well as in a database, so that the card holder could be verified at a later time.

Along with this requirement, the next section goes on to document regulations for states to share their information. States not complying will have federal funds withheld as punishment. States must participate in the "sharing of driver license data, known as the ��Driver License Agreement��, in order to provide electronic access by a State to information contained in the motor vehicle databases of all other State."

The document that originally specified this information is mysteriously missing from the Speaker of the House's web site, but you can still read the important parts on a blog that keeps track of this information. Some argue that the government already has all the information that they need to follow your actions. Still it is possible that the issuing of this card would subject citizens to a virtual "Papers, please!" everywhere they went.

Related Links:
nationalid.blogspot.com

Related ATS Discussions:
Tagging & Tracking - Through Your new Card

[edit on 28-9-2004 by dbates]

posted on Sep, 28 2004 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Heeeeeere's BIG BROTHER!

posted on Sep, 28 2004 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Can that happen, would we the people have a chance to vote on this or would it be something passed through congress?

posted on Sep, 28 2004 @ 04:29 PM
link   
My American green card has my face, my thumb print, and a miniature (very hard to see without actually looking for it) holographic image of my face on the reverse in the gold foil section. It looks quite similar to the ID card picture in this posting.

I don't see the big deal. What's so wrong with being identified?

"WHO ARE YOU?"
"I'm Zipdot, see??"
"COOL, JUST CHECKIN'."

Zip

EDIT: Seriously, height weight, eye and hair colour, dingaling size, who cares if its all put on a card? It makes you easily identifiable... I don't pretend to be some kind of enigma and I'm not running from the police.

EDIT 2: I just remembered... When I got out of jail a couple weeks ago, when they were giving people their possessions back, most people just got their stuff and proceeded on, but me and a couple other guys, maybe coz we were first timers, had to give a thumbprint to get our stuff back. I watched the computer screen as this happened - they took my thumbprint and matched it against the print I gave them when I was first booked. It was cool looking, seeing them match up electronically. Just thought I'd throw that in here.

[edit on 28-9-2004 by Zipdot]

[edit on 28-9-2004 by Zipdot]

posted on Sep, 28 2004 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by W411Eddie
Can that happen, would we the people have a chance to vote on this or would it be something passed through congress?

No, you don't get to vote on this. You voted when you elected your Congressman and Senator. You can call you Representative and voice your concerns if you wish, but that's all you can do now. They are just doing what's best for you.

posted on Sep, 28 2004 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by dbates

Originally posted by W411Eddie

No, you don't get to vote on this. You voted when you elected your Congressman and Senator. You can call you Representative and voice your concerns if you wish, but that's all you can do now. They are just doing what's best for you.

Heh, nothing against Eddie, but I find it funny that Americans often don't know the first thing about their congress. CAN'T WE VOTE ON THIS? You did, man! Didn't you?

Hug your congressman today! He's working for YOU.

Zip

posted on Sep, 28 2004 @ 05:10 PM
link   
* Daddy Dubya , I want a National I.D. Card. * * I want it now *

Seroiusly, I have no problem with it. bring it on

Yay yay, national ID cards... Yay Yay...

posted on Sep, 28 2004 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Basically they have all the information they need already - visa cards, bank card, supermarket card and whatever else card (library cards too eheh). Really your privacy is gone already; if you think this is the beginning, think again... it is the end and only a matter of convenience to the big boys...

Regards

posted on Sep, 28 2004 @ 05:50 PM
link   
The only people who should be worried are 1) illegal immergrants 2) criminals ....I for one am for this idea...

posted on Sep, 28 2004 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Quote: "Heeeeeere's BIG BROTHER!"

Um - just in case you didn't notice - we already have Drivers Licenses & Passports - What is one more ID? I am a Citizen of the United States of America I.D. - No big deal! Have you tried opening a Bank Account without a Drivers License & PassPort since the PATRIOT ACT was passed - good luck buddy!

If it helps in catching these Terrorist Scumbags that want to Penetrate our Country then so be it - not a problem for me!!!

posted on Sep, 28 2004 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Soon they're gonna want to put tracking devices on the cards.

posted on Sep, 28 2004 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Next our babies will be born and tag with microchips in the name of war on terror and the best for the country.

People be aware littler by littler we have beign strip of our rights, and out privacy.

posted on Sep, 28 2004 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by cpr12r
Soon they're gonna want to put tracking devices on the cards.

I'm sure they'll come with rfid chips, whether we know it or not.

Apparently they're in the euro, and some say they're already in Andrew Jackson's left eye.

posted on Sep, 28 2004 @ 07:08 PM
link   
National ID cards are inevitable. I already have a passport, so in reality I've had one for about 30 years. The only difference is all the information that will be tied into these cards and the ease of which that information can retrieved.

In the future we will just need to accept that everywhere you go in most urban areas you will be constantly identified & photographed. I think the important thing is we create rules to prevent abuse.

In the long run I think it's a good idea.

posted on Sep, 28 2004 @ 07:17 PM
link   
'rules to prevent abuse' and reality are two compltely different thing. I wish I still had the link to a study invovling the abuses by a single police force in regards to background checks and such. It was straiht up sickening to see just how badly they abused their power.

I've been sitting here thinking about this, and we all can state why we dont trust the ideas of national ID cards, but whats put this mistrust into us? There has to be some deep-seated psychological reason that is the root of this fear.

posted on Sep, 28 2004 @ 07:18 PM
link   
as many people have stated above, WOO!

we have IDs already. we need them for various purposes. Drivers license, passport, whatever. Why not consolidate em? it might seem a little NWO-ish, but there are good points to it (quite a few) aside from a catchy name. nothign outrageous is being proposed here, by far the most outlandish idea is requiring states to share DMV info, which, considering travel across state borders is (thankfully) not an issue, should be done anyway, if not made federal (commerce between states, etc).

but, really, this isnt even a national ID card. its a pumped-up drivers license. you still arent required to have one (NYC anyone?) and it still carries less weight than a passport. true, national ID cards I would be in favor, it simplifies things and could be put to use all sorts of ways. one card to pay, identify, get access to places, its just handy. also, much better to keep records of people, especially census.

posted on Sep, 28 2004 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by alternateheaven
It was straiht up sickening to see just how badly they abused their power.

... but whats put this mistrust into us?

Uh, didn't you already answer you're own question?
History has a tendency to repeat. Plus, it is infuriating, because it is obvious police control of the citizenry in the guise of national security. It means we're being lied to. Our tax dollars are being used to imprison us, not fight so-called terrorism. That's what "puts this mistrust" into me.

Oh yeah, also, it means this time it'll be national ID cards, but next time it'll be a tatoo on the head, or a chip in the hand. From identification, to surveillance, to control. Scary and apocalyptic.

[edit on 9/28/04 by bunkbuster]

posted on Sep, 30 2004 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by bunkbuster
it is obvious police control of the citizenry in the guise of national security.

Don't get confused here, the police are only a tool for those who wish to control us, while certainly some of them will abuse the new found power, the real abuse we need to worry about comes from higher up the ladder.

posted on Sep, 30 2004 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Perhaps the issue is how in-depth the biometric information will be.

Anybody seen GATACA?

posted on Sep, 30 2004 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rain King
Perhaps the issue is how in-depth the biometric information will be.

Anybody seen GATACA?

good movie. what seems to have been described here isnt much. the problem with gataca was that you were engineered and life was predicted according to your engineered genes. they were your identity then, your resume. here its simply just being used as identification, no harm there. i dont think itll move farther than that.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join