It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

.22 lr bolt action for survival

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 11:35 AM
link   
I’m in the market for a bolt action rifle in .22lr caliber.
A folding stock is preferred but a standard stock is good.

Any ATS members have a .22lr bolt action rifle that you would recommend? What are your experiences? What’s good? What’s bad? Which models should I stay away from?
I’m thinking about one that can easily be carried in a back pack.

Why a .22lr?
Ammo is cheap and you can carry a hundred rounds in your pockets. A .22lr can kill small game and not make too much noise.

Mainly because the ammo is cheap.

-subfab

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 11:39 AM
link   
why a bolt action?
you can get a semi-auto for about the same price.

i got my .22 marlin rifle at a pawn shop for $150 with a nice scope!

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by subfab

A good compound bow can bag large game (and stop a large nasty man) and makes even less noise than a .22
Just sayin'

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by HumansEh

i was thinking a bow too.
only you can only carry so many arrows.
the bow is not off the table. a good friend of mine and his son are taking archery lessons. he too is thinking a bow for survival in his bug out bag.

any recommendations on a bow? something inexpensive but not a toy. i'd be willing to look into it.

thank you for the response.

-subfab

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by subfab

Take a look at the Ruger '10/22' .22LR Rimfire Carbine or even the MARLIN ‘795’ .22LR SEMI-AUTO RIFLE (which happens to be on sale for $179) (PM me if you want the store info - a large national chain, no affiliation with me)

Both are semi autos and come with a 10-round magazine. Can't go wrong with the Ruger 10/22 if you're on a budget.
edit on 5/1/12 by AnonymousCitizen because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 11:49 AM
link   

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 11:55 AM
link   
I guess the real question is are you talking about stuck in the woods for a month or two or like end of the world. If you are talking about a month or two then I would say a 22 all day long, if you are hurt or injured then you will still be able to work the weapon. However there will be a time that ammo will run out no matter how much you take. If you are thinking end of the world then learn to make your own bow and how to make your own arrows as that will be the only way to ensure that you will have a constant supply of ammo and if the bow breaks that you can make a new one.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 12:04 PM
link   
I can see why she wants a bolt-action, in a survival situation, reliability is a must. I had a 10/22 and it was very reliable at the range, but what about in the elements. As far as a bow, Arrows are heavy, you will lose and break some eventually, And you can't makeshift wood arrows for a compound because they are too lite and your bow will most likely break. But either way, a .22 bolt or semi is a MUST for anyone's battery. It will take deer, most poachers use them.

Gs

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by lonewolf10

Same here, I'd second that rifle on the basis of the Tube mag. that way you don't have to worry about losing tiny ones.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 12:09 PM
link   
I agree with the poster above. I have a ruger10/22 it's awsome and has many aftermarket tactical stocks for it
Mine actualy looks like a g36 assult rifle. The 10/22 has many many accessorys out there for it

That's the smallest caliber rifle I have and it's totaly a blast to shoot!! Unfortunatly it's realy hard to reload the rounds I'm just glad the rounds are dirt cheap

Be safe people

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 12:11 PM
link   
A 22 ????
Really?
Why not just use a BB gun or super soaker?

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 12:12 PM
link   
I don't know if they are legal anymore but I always wanted one of those over-under shotgun/22 snake guns. Two guns in one. A last resort type of weapon, not really durable or accurate. In the US there are so many cheap used WWII era rifles, if you want to shoot zombies at long range.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Violater1

In my opinion if you are using a higher caliber you may be compensating for a small armory. Just kidding, they are cheap and effective for survival and a limited zombie killing.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by subfab

I recommend a sig 556. It folds down small to fit in a backpack, ammo is cheap when you buy 223, and its good for anything, light weight, and easy for anyone to fire.

A gun is an investment. Don't go too cheap. Gunbroker.com has good deals.
edit on 1-5-2012 by fictitious because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by earthdude

My pop has one of those!! It haas a 22magnum round on top and a .410 shotgun on the bottom. It's a small shotgun but good for. Bird hunting. Both are single shot

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by fictitious

I agree ! AR 15s have good stopping power and semi cheap ammo but the best rifle for a SHTF scenario has got to be ..... Hands down......... AK47!! It's drag through the mud reliable! Simple construction and semi cheap here in the states. I saw a video of an Arab guy pounding straight a bent barrel on a AK and then loaded a 30 round clip and fired it!! And the damn thing worked!!

Both the AR and AKs have abundant ammo available and both are reloadable

Be safe people

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 12:38 PM
link   
I have always been a fan of .22 caliber semi automatic rifles and purchased a Marlin Model 60 with an inexpensive BSA scope for my wife a few years back.. It isn't a one shot kill round for anything much larger than a raccoon unless you are steady enough to put a round through the eye socket of something larger... It is possible to put a number of rounds in a tight group in a fraction of a second if you need to and with it's tubular magazine isn't likely to be placed on a government ban list.... The Ruger 10-22 is a great rifle with numerous aftermarket accessories to improve it's function or give it a "tactical" appearance.... Stay away from the AR-7 rifles.. They are light and can be packed away with ease but are a mechanical nightmare that can't be depended on.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by HumansEh
reply to post by subfab

A good compound bow can bag large game (and stop a large nasty man) and makes even less noise than a .22
Just sayin'

A good point, but the gun the would be the first choice of defense. For either defense or game procurement, a bow and arrow will take a LOT of practice. Once you understand sighting down the barrel of a .22, you are ready for business. And a semi-auto .22 is head an shoulders over trying to nock a second, third or fourth arrow.

As far as the rifel goes, however, a good case can be made for a bolt-, pump-, or lever-action rifle. It can shoot a whole variety of .22 ammo. Some people think that there are three choices of .22 bullets: short, long and long-rifle. Wrong! Several different loads with differences of powder and bullet weight are available as the major sport outlets and/or gun stores. I recently learned of a .22 long-rifle cartridge that contains no gunpower but is propelled only by the primer. It has a small, 20 grain bullet and makes very little noise. (Aguila .brand, .22 "Super Colibri.") While labeled as a "long rifle" cartridge, it will not have enough muscle to work the action of a semi- automatic. To use a variety of different loads in a .22, perhaps a pump or lever action rifle that uses all types would be the better choice.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Ruger now makes a take down 10/22

Or just buy a regular 10/22 and put a Butler Creek folding stock on it.
I'm a huge fan of 10/22's and have been shooting them for 25 years.
Very reliable and accurate but should be cleaned thoroughly as .22 ammo will quickly gum up the action and cause misfeeds.
30 round banana clips are readily available too and a little trick is to polish the lip on the feed ramp every so slightly if they don't cycle correctly.
Add a 3- 4x scope and you're good to go.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

Just heard ruger now makes a 25 round clip for the 10/22!!! And it has metal feed lips

Gotta get a few of those

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join