It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Spain's economic recession double-dips

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Spain's economic recession double-dips

www.aljazeera.com

Spain's economic recession has double-dipped in the first fiscal quarter, as the country faces intense pressure from the European Union to solve its financial problems and growing public unrest against austerity measures, new data shows.

The official data was released on Monday amid new quarterly unemployment figures showing nearly 25 per cent of Spaniards are out of work.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 11:21 AM
link   
The world market is crashing
taking countries 1 by 1 into the Pitt

The release of unemployment figures on Sunday sparked protests, with thousands taking to the streets.

"The wheels are very clearly coming off the economy," David Owen, an economist, said.

when a country with millions of people in it is not properly balance .. the big crash become inevitable

We are in 2012 of course the populations of all worldwide countries are getting more dense
the problem is .. things are also getting more expensive
all employer will find a way to improve things automaticaly with machine and new technologies so he can reduce the number of employees...

we can already see the chain reaction of bad decisions getting really ugly there when big compagnies wants to save money to the maximum being sure their bonus profit is not touched..

If the population cant work and are starting to get poor
first you will get very angry people that wont buy anymore from the big industries

Its there when all hell breaks loose

Will happen worst in Greece
Spain will get worst
United Kingdom will get worst
Canada will get worst especially in Montreal
big riots happening here

Those greedy systems are UNSUSTAINABLE
born to die in a mather of speaking

www.aljazeera.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 11:27 AM
link   
green jobs
haha
lol
at least the suicide nets in spain aren't for people suffering from underpaid overwork

say whats up in Montreal?
(i get my news here and from wwcr ..haha, link me if you don't feel like writing it out for me )
edit on 30-4-2012 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Danbones
green jobs
haha
lol
at least the suicide nets in spain aren't for people suffering from underpaid overwork

say whats up in Montreal?
(i get my news here and from wwcr ..haha, link me if you don't feel like writing it out for me )
edit on 30-4-2012 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

Hundred of thousand take the streets
and it has been like that for the past 2 months
the government here augmented the students fees

There are starting speaking on TV that maybe soon they will need to put curfew
and bring the army to protect the buildings

Link

MONTREAL (The Blaze/AP) — Police in Canada say 85 people have been arrested after thousands of students angry over tuition increases protested in

Montreal, with some smashing windows of businesses.

The rioting came after talks broke off Wednesday between the Quebec provincial government and student groups over the planned tuition increase of $325 a year.

From the Gazette :

After two hours of peaceful protest, police declared the march illegal and the situation unravelled quickly.

Percussion bombs and pepper spray exploded at the corner of Peel and Ste. Catherine Sts., a car was set on fire at the corner of Stanley and Ste. Catherine Sts. and chaos ensued as the police started to push the crowd back using whatever tools they had in their arsenal.

Onlookers blamed a small group of protesters for instigating the trouble.

A standoff between mounted police and taunting protesters brought the crowd, estimated at about 5,000, to a dead halt at Drummond and Ste. Catherine Sts. and then the police intervention squad moved in banging their shields.

Officers in full riot gear marched up Peel St. and the air in the area was thick with pepper spray.

Never seen such riot in Montreal before .. putting the army in the streets because the police is unable to control the population is very grave

Quebekers are like Americans zero tolerance in the corrupted government of Charest
and the guy keep putting oil on fire with jokes on the protesters

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 03:26 PM
link   
So when are people going to fight fire with fire ? You don't take a picnic blanket to a gun fight!

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Did spain explained the true "statistics" of unemployment? They should of lied like united states

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jordan River
Did spain explained the true "statistics" of unemployment? They should of lied like united states

Good point!

If Spain used America' statistics, they'd only be at 8% unemployment.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer

Originally posted by Jordan River

Good point!

If Spain used America' statistics, they'd only be at 8% unemployment.

Sounds like the truth was said on purpose. I suppose american reality of a depression is being blinded, because most americans carry guns and have a lot of power to start using protest, real protest. You get my train of thought

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Jordan River

I once read something that stated, "If Americans just paid their taxes one time, once a year, instead of having it removed bit by bit throughout the year, we'd have already had a second revolution."

Americans are a peaceful lot.

Until they get their "irish" up.

That day won't be put off too much longer.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ben81
Hundred of thousand take the streets
and it has been like that for the past 2 months
the government here augmented the students fees

And yet Quebec has the lowest tuition rate in Canada, provincially. Currently they do not even pay 1/2 of what students in Ontario pay. Education is very important no questioning that but some of these clowns need to take a hard look at what's going around them. If this is so terrible why aren't students in provinces like ontario or alberta running around with their hair on fire.
src

To the topic Spain is obviously in serious trouble. They may be able to bail her out but there is no way they can do the same for Italy.

brill

edit on 30-4-2012 by brill because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Just like the Greek, the Spanish used to make fun of the boring German frugality, the so-called "Germanic thrift" or "Teutonic austerity".
Nowadays... not so much.
edit on 30-4-2012 by ColCurious because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 11:21 AM
link   
What had happened, already happened. Austerity drives had long been screamed as failure, by many, but unfortunately ignored and rebuffed as armchair experts while economists and leaders are touted as the ones whom have to sail the ship.

Now that austerity drives are proven failures, shall the leaders and the economists who proposed such measures, take responsibility for the failure and be sacked?

I guess its too late for recriminations. 25% of spanish citizens are unemployed and the entire economy in dire straits. Solutions are needed.

A) Job Creation:-

1. ) The failed french leader, Sarkozy, sarcastically remarked when faced with the failure of austerity stupidity, claimed that creating hundreds of civil service jobs will not solve the problem. He had been a fool, and is a fool to even think creating jobs relies on gov service.

For every civil servant, it takes a hundred citizens to support per year. Work the numbers and you will realize that a nation cannot afford less or more for a functioning civil service.

No, job creations lays in stimulating the private sector, through funding of entreprenuerships to build upon /improve current tech and quality products, resource allocations, public works, upgrading of skills, employer management, easing of credit or lowering the currency to force wealth hoarders into the markets, and the search for overseas investments.

This can be done with an effective forward looking economic gov team than a team that plays the blame game. The nation is at stake.

2.) Immediate employment must be resolve today, for the welfare system cannot be sustain anymore. Every citizen must have a job. It calls for 'creative employment now.

a. There are still 75% employed.

b. Use 25% of the employed to share jobs with the 25% employed. One job held by 2 persons, working in shifts. Those whom are paid $3,000/mth will work 4 hrs per day, be paid $1,500, and the 2nd shift takes over, work similar 4 hrs per day and be paid the same.

c. It is a time for sharing, and will take up to 2 yrs for the spanish economy to recover. All must tighten the belt, to share both joys and woes together as a nation. This manner, there will be no need to strain social welfare.

d. Essential cost of foodstuffs be reduced, nationalized if need be, so that none goes hungry. Traders will not have lost out on anything, as there will still be consumers, if not more now. Such necessary essential foodstuff best be obtained and supplied by the nation, or artificially created and not imported, to cut down on costs. Resources within the nation belongs to citizens, and citizens must always get first access to it, cheaply. Any excess then will be sold for revenues.

e. Heavy tax tarrifs and duties be imposed upon foreign products. Only the rich and wealthy will buy them anyway, so in a way, those monies can be used to help fund social expenditure and debt repayments.

3. Foreign Investments.
Spain is a huge landmass, and much of the arable lands are private holdings but left untouched. Sell those lands for 30 years leases, for crop cultivation or manufacturing plants or malls, BUT NOT as useless jobless property speculations. There are many rich in the world espacially in China, seeking for investments and ways out of their country. They can be tapped. WIth spanish quality work ethics, it is a win win investment type for all.

4. Moratorium on debt repayments.
Like it or not, there is no sense in making the poor pay. Rather than debt wipe off or relief, hold the repayments for a period of time till the nation recovers. Free Humans as a collective properly motivated had never failed before, as history had proven. Post war german and japanese people were not slaves, but given time, they could not only pay those debts, they progress and evolved peaceably. It can be done.

These are just some ideas the insignificant nobody me can contribue. I am sure there are far far more brighter folks than me that can contribute better ideas. But the leaders must quickly acknowledge the errors - globalisation, austerity, uncheck biz entreprises and free flow of credit to corrupt leaders, must end, and be corrected in order to progress. Or we as a race will only doom ourselves to repeat the same mistakes over and over again, if we survive this crisis.
edit on 1-5-2012 by SeekerofTruth101 because: (no reason given)

top topics

join